mtbr member
    Jan 2004

OK, a stupid question, but......

Is there sales tax on cycling clothing in New Jersey??? I purchased some cycling tights today and was charged sales tax. I had always thought that clothing was not charged tax. I questioned the girl and she said cycling tights were a luxury and not a necessity. I told her it is cold out and that it was a necessity, so why the tax? Just curious. Thanks for any input on a dumb question!
    Kevin

WooHoo Biking!!!!
    I thought it was not taxable. . .but. . .I don't know if this applies, but I got it from: http://liberty.state.nj.us/treasury/...letaxcloth.pdf

Sports and recreational equipment means items designed for human use and worn in conjunction with an athletic or recreational activity that are not suitable for general use. Under current law, sports and recreational equipment are subject to tax. Such equipment remains taxable under the new law.
    The following are examples of taxable sports and recreational equipment:
    ballet and tap shoes; cleated or spiked athletic shoes; gloves, including, but not limited to, baseball, bowling, boxing, hockey, and golf; goggles; hand and elbow guards; life preservers and vests; mouth guards; roller and ice skates; shin guards; shoulder pads; ski boots; waders; and wetsuits and fins.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for that info! I guess it caught me off guard because just the day before I purchased a skull cap for riding at the same place and it was not taxed. I just haven't been paying attention when I make purchases I guess. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    general rule of thumb...if its necessity = no tax. food, general clothing, etc.

you dont need to play sports or ride a bike...there for taxable.

mtbr member
    if the item is specific to a sport and not deemed 'general use' then its taxable. it those cycling shorts had a chammy in them they are taxable.