mtbr member

Odd Man 1.3.5 Duathlon or King of the Hill

Odd Man 1.3.5 Duathlon

Race Date Saturday, March 28, 2009

Race Name Odd Man 1.3.5 Duathlon

Odd Man 135 Mountain Bike Duathlon Run 3.1 miles, Mountain Bike 10 miles Off Road

Location YMCA Camp Ockinickon

Address 1303 Stokes Road, Medford, NJ (Route 541)

City Medford

State/Terr. New Jersey

Country USA

Registration Website www.oddman135.com/registration.htm

Race Website www.oddman135.com/event_sched.htm

Course Info Cross country run with a few difficult climbs, streams and brooks, assorted paths, wildlife, rocks, logs, and lots of mud.
    The bike is a combination of fire roads, single track, and at least two really tough climbs

Previous Results www.oddman135.com/results.htm
    i have a race this week-end pine hill arms /belleayre ny winter triathlon, i really wanted a winter off-road tri, but New Hampshire and Mass. were a little too far for me

that being said, anyone on this forum fdo either odd man or king of the hill?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I did the Oddman a number of years ago. I don't recall anything being particularly difficult. The run was pretty straight forward. There are two very short climbs on the mountain bike course that are difficult to ride. One is a set of stairs that you have to ride up -- more accurate to say there are a set of waterbars that you have to ride up. The other obstacle is a short but very steep hill. Short as in less than 100 feet but very steep. I didn't ride either, but was early in my biking career at the time. It's a fun race. The level of competition can vary from year to year. It's south jersey, so you're not looking at much climbing or descending. Most of the course was pretty flat.

mtbr member
    The Pine Hill Arms Tri is a great race and a good way to start your season. I've done it about five times in the past. This is not a mountain bike race. You can use a mt bike but the fast guys will be on road bikes. The bike course is the nastiest 10 miles (shorter really) in triathlon. Bring your climbing gears, and the run is back down the mountain finishing right in front of the Pine Hill Arms Hotel and Bar. You are going to have a great time!!

Xterra King of the Hill is another excellent race. I've also done that one in the past and it's a well run race in a beautiful place.

Wanted to go to Odd Man but it's just to far from me on Long Island since we have a road bike du right here the following week.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i did the odd man last year. it was fun, pretty flat with two short steep climbs. was gonna do it again this year but i have a wedding to go to that day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've done both races in the past and like each of them. If you are comparing the race on difficulty it is no contest, King of the Hill is much more challenging. The first run is brutal with Tobaggan (sp) Hill and the bike course is rocky. Oddman is flat and sandy, there are 1 or 2 short steep climbs that most people don't ride.

Each race is well organized and you can't go wrong with either one.

mtbr member

pine hill arms tri, odd man & king of the hill

thanks for your feed back

lucky for me my mechanic put an mtb cluster on a road bike of mine, i know pine hill well since my kin lives there these past 20 years

good chance i'll make the odd man & king of the hill too

here's some gps from the pine hill tri (not my data)

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=150788

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkmacman
    lucky for me my mechanic put an mtb cluster on a road bike of mine

Are you going to keep a cadence of 110 rpm like Lance? Put a double or a compact on your roadie and see how much faster you will be up hills.

mtbr member

no granny

on my giant ocr-3, the mechanic put on a sweet compact crank & mtb cluster when i upgraded last year, upgraded to shimano brakes & shifters too.

on my giant yukon fx, i have component issues, but most folks don't upgrade the components

110 rpm, is a little hi, i hope to capture some data, i still have the cadence meter on my ocr-3, but removed it from my trek 5900 when my edge 305 (garmin) got busted and stopped recording the trek cadence meter

now i use mostly foreunner 405, but still no cadence meter on the trek 5900

for this event i taKE GIANT OCR-3, NEXT WEEK ODD MAN YUKON FX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkmacman
    on my giant ocr-3, the mechanic put on a sweet compact crank & mtb cluster when i upgraded last year, upgraded to shimano brakes & shifters too.
    So by cluster you mean the gears on the rear wheel? aka cassette?

mtbr member

cluster aka cassette

back in the day some folks would call it a clustter, now everyone calls it a cassette

the mtb cassete on the ocr-3 works nicely, my one complaint, is there is a slight 'hick-up' with certain gear combinations (ie little gear crank w/ big cog from cluster), the bike is set up and i'm happy i basterized it.

if i recall correctly i dropped around $500, and my mechanic worked on it and a little bit on the 5900, so now i have the trek 5900 2003 bought used for $1200 and a $700 giant i upgrade around $500 to near $1200

my mtb is also a $700 bike, but i don't think i can rationalize putting $500 in (ie fox fork), i'll just grin and bear it until somethinkg breaks or i come accross "an offer i can't refuse"

i like mtb, i just suck at technical stuff, and just last week-end riding at jungle habitat, realize i will not race there ever

is wayayanda as technical as jungle habitat? i did mountain man last year and plan on doing it again this year, as well as the h2h race at lewis morris

btw: i hate crits and tt, so there fore and not full fledge roadie, i prefer endurance type events