Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NYC 5-Boro Ride

mtbr member

NYC 5-Boro Ride

Its coming up quick (5/6). Who's going this year?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My wife and I will be there riding our Ventana El Conquistador tandem. The bike is candy apple red if you happen to see us. I've got to find some semi slicks or road tires for the beast. Can't wait and hope the weather holds out.
    Barry

mtbr member

I'll be on my new road bike

So I will just blend in with the other 30,000 riders. I'll probably have my MTBR shirt if it is warm.

I think a red Ventana tandam will stand out a bit more.

Enjoy.

FIX IT YOURSELF
    42 miles? No problem !! You want city slicks I suggest Continental
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    anyone doing the Tour de Franklin this weekend? I'm planning on it, as long as the weather holds. I'm tough, but not quite that tough
    [SIZE="1"]We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.[/SIZE]

www.mtbnj.com

i want spring!
    CARNAGE is the key word for that 5 Boros tour. I did it for 4 yrs in a row and the first year, some guy took a massive heart attack and died. the next year some kid took a header into a concrete divider, another year, some lady broke her hip and ankle. It's a HUGE bunch of people that know nothing about riding in packs and panic when braking. Oh yeah don't forget about them potholes and all the walking that you do.

have a good time!

~Db
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

FIX IT YOURSELF
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bert
    CARNAGE is the key word for that 5 Boros tour. I did it for 4 yrs in a row and the first year, some guy took a massive heart attack and died. the next year some kid took a header into a concrete divider, another year, some lady broke her hip and ankle. It's a HUGE bunch of people that know nothing about riding in packs and panic when braking. Oh yeah don't forget about them potholes and all the walking that you do.

have a good time!

~Db
    I'll second that!!! You have to know going in that with 30,000 peeps more than half probably get on their bike once a year when the 5boro comes around. Walking I don't know what your talkin about....I won't be walking for nothin.
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

mtbr member
    I agree about the carnage. One year I saw a pedestrian randomnly punch a cyclist as he was trying to cross the street in Central Park. There are always some pretty bad accidents. I'll never forget overhearing a crashed roadie crying "look what you did to my bike!"

There are so many riders the ride is no fun anymore. You have racers in a pace lines weaving in and out of families with toddlers.

If you want to avoid the long walk at the beginning don't be a sheep and stay in the pack. Take another avenue uptown until you get ahead of the walkers and then rejoin the route.

After I did the ride a few times I stopped going uptown altogether (and paying the fee) and took the Brooklyn Bridge and joined the ride there. Then you get to ride on the highway and cross over to Staten Island on The Verrazanno which is really nice ride in itself. I'd get back to NJ by going over the Bayonne Bridge.

But it is a really a spectacular ride and you must do it at least once.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Last year some kid took a header onto a bridge they stopped the ride and had to get an ambulance to take him away, when I passed the scene there was a puddle of blood with a hand full of blood soaked napkins.

I hear what you are saying about having racers weaving inbetween families. While riding to the ferry in Staten Island (when the tour was pretty much over) we were just going at a moderate pace all the way to the right when some guy in a full race uniform and a road bike and his wife in matching uniform and bike were coming up behind people and yelling at them to get out of their way. They went flying in between these two girls who were talking with inches to spare on each side.

It's like all the idiot drivers in NY and NJ get on their bikes and act the same way as they do behind the wheel.

Though, I still had fun last year and I can't wait to do it again.
    Last edited by jetfan2207; 04-28-2007 at 04:56 PM.

mtbr member

Yawn......

So many people taking so much time to say that something is not fun. Geez, kids, just stay home. I've done this for year and experienced it all and in the end, it is still a very good time. Of course, there are plenty of people (obviously) that will find a problem with anything.

Nice job people.........

mtbr member
    This will be my first year doing it and from what I've heard it will be a very good time. I think you should just go out and experience it for yourself and make the call based on your own expectations not someone else's
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

mtbr member

That's the spirit.......

I had to laught at the poster that said someone had a heart attack. Crips, how many people had heart attacks in NYC that day? A kid crashed and bled. How many people got stabbed that day in NYC or just tripped and cut themselves?

Yes, go out, stay alert and have fun. Life is too short to b!tch because something is not perfect. Perfect is oh so boring.........

I think this is my 7th ride but I've lost count.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm there this will be my 3rd year ..

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    thought i post this too from last year

i want spring!

2 Cents

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba
    So many people taking so much time to say that something is not fun. Geez, kids, just stay home. I've done this for year and experienced it all and in the end, it is still a very good time. Of course, there are plenty of people (obviously) that will find a problem with anything.

Nice job people.........
    Waaaaaaa someone had a discouraging opinion on my post. (I'd insert a crying icon face here.) So sorry, I had an opinion so different than yours and it happen to be negative.

For ME, the novelty of the ride wore off quickly. Yea it was fun the first 2 times but with the amount of people that it attracted over the years, it didn't become fun for ME. That's just MY 2 cents, isn't these forums for that?

I would rather ride in the dirt than in NYC.

~dirty bert
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

FIX IT YOURSELF
    They say no backpack or you'll be up for a shake down by the man?!!?? Is this true??
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    How many people are not driving into the city? I was thinking about take a ferry or train or something since I hate drivng in NYC. Do they give you any problems for bringing your bike on the train or ferry?

mtbr member
    May 2005

Easy way to join ride...

I always find it easier to take the Staten Island ferry over in the morning, rather than at the end of the ride. Park at St. Georges and hop right on the boat and at the end of the day you are at your car for easy departure. Take a differrent avenue uptown (as someone else posted) and rejoin the crowd closer to Central Park. You will walk much less and eliminate the most congested part of the ride. Overall It is a lot ot fun, but you will see some crazy carnage, so be alert and stay as far upfront as you can.

mtbr member

Harrison and PATH or Staten Island Ferry

I was going to park in Harrison and take PATH to the WTC Station but I am also considering driving to the Staten Island Ferry in St. George. I think this is the best choice since you avoid the long wait for the ferry at the end.

I guess you could also take the ferry from Hoboken but I understand they charge extra for bikes. PATH usually has a limit of two bikes per car but seem to ignore this restriction on the day of this ride. I took PATH last time I did the ride and had no trouble.

Recovering
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bert
    I would rather ride in the dirt than in NYC.
    I'd rather ride in the dirt IN NYC.

Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

mtbr member
    hey Rev

have fun at the ride, i know you will.

here's more details on the rules for PATH and the ferries, in case anyone is interested:

ferry: http://www.transalt.org/blueprint/ch...chapter9k.html

PATH trains*: http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTrave...tml/rules.html

*you'd think they'd waive the "2 bikes per train" rule for this event, but I don't know if they will or not.

mtbr member

Rules are ignored, not waived for the day.

Lets just say I have an "in." Its easier to "ignore" the rules for a day than try to change them. As long as no one abuses the system, no one is going to give you grief. When I took PATH there weren't that many other riders with or without bikes on Sunday so it was not a problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba

Nice job people.........
    I have no problem with the event. If you haven't done it I recommend it. After you have done it a few times it loses it's fun. The ride is more dangerous than riding in traffic. You have to be very alert. Much more so than on any other kind of ride.

If you are doing this ride the main thing to do is BE CAREFUL!

That's why I prefer mountainbiking. No traffic, no masses, no problem.

I won't be staying home. I just won't be in NYC that day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chainring
    I'll never forget overhearing a crashed roadie crying "look what you did to my bike!"

HA HA IDK why but I was thinking about that line all day during the tour.

I didn't see any real bad accidents, I only saw like 2 Ambulances taking people away, I also fell though, not too bad. I recently got clipless pedals so I'm still getting good that them, after the astoria park rest stop, a kid in front of me fell for no apparent reason, I took one foot out of the pedals and stoped to avoid hitting/running him over, but I had too much momentum and didn't unclip my other foot and I went over, the kid apologized but I was really my fault for following too close. All and all, I had a lot of fun.

Next year I'm gonna do what the others suggested, and join the tour once it started I'll wait a few blocks up and join when the leaders come by. We actually had to wait for parade floats to pass, I could see the start line from where I was and by time we got moving it was 10am.

mtbr member
    I rode this event for the second time and this time around was a nightmare. Total slug fest!! People were walking/jogging past us. We arrived around 7:20 and waited for over two hours before the crowd began inching its way towards central park and upon arriving there, we walked most of our way through. We must have stopped to walk a good twelve times after that. And I'm not talking about a brief pause for traffic control or accidents, I mean a good loooooooong walk over bridges and complete stops in some areas. The festival at the end was the worst. Masses of people were crowded in the back waiting to get to the ferry and parking lots. No visible signs or easy exit points like they had in previous events. We waited for another two hours just to exit the park. It looked like a stopped up toilet - thousands of people were coming from all directions trying to sqeeze into a ridiculously narrow line. We finally got back on our bikes to ride the last stretch towards the parking lots only to run into more monster cluster jams. This year was an absolute disorganized mess - nothing like the last time I went ('05). The horror... the horror.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast