mtbr member
    Sep 2005

NY-NJ Trail Conference

In years past I have been a card carrying member of the NY-NJ Trail Conference. I did this for a number of reasons, one of them being to support hiking trails in our state and the discount that it gives me on bike parts isnít bad either.

My membership is about to need to be renewed and it got me thinking. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge about how they feel about multi use trails? Are they anti Mountain biking? I would like to be better informed about how they have or have not worked with the MTB community in the past.

-E
    I ride a singlespeed because it's harder.

JORBA
    Allaire State Park's trails are multi-use, and all that means is the trails are open to everyone. Trail Maint. is performed by most user groups as well. Funny thing is that horseback riders, runners, hikers, and bikers pretty much like the same thing in trail systems. So to say that the multi-use designation means no bikes, may not be true. Our user groups get along very well here because we have worked together to maintain the trails. As a result the "other" groups seem to respect the cycling community more now because of our "passion" for the trails.

As far as the NY/NJ trail conf. is concerned, I have not spoken to many of them down in my neck of the woods.....not much to see here.
    Frank Harms
    JORBA President
    frank at jorba.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    im on vacation this week but the next time i see the representative from the trail conference come to work ill try and remember to ask him.

mtbr member
    With the exception of a gentleman Mergs has brought up in the past, the Trail Conference is overwhelmingly anti-bike. Just take a look at the pathetic little parcel of Harriman SP that is designated for MTB use. Their Website also argues heavily against what they call ATBs (all-terrrain bikes). This tactic is used to make mountain bikes sound more like ATVs.

On the flipside, there is also a big part of me that admirers the T.C. greatly. As a hiker/trail runner, I appreciate all the work they do on the trails. More importatly, I appreciate them as a group that's dedicated to land preservation/conservancy.

I'm going to remain hopeful that MTB advocates, such as Mergs, keep doing what they're doing to build relationships with our trail users community at large. This way, groups such as the T.C. can start to understand that we love the trails as much as they do.
    Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

www.mtbnj.com
    Jul 2005
    My $$ went to jorba this year: http://www.jorba.org/amember/signup.php

JORBA
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr0101
    My $$ went to jorba this year: http://www.jorba.org/amember/signup.php
    Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.
    Frank Harms
    JORBA President
    frank at jorba.org

mtbr member
    The TC is not anti Mt bike. Some of the members are though. I am a member and active with trail maint. The TC likes to see Mt bikers getting involved with the trails. Most of the State Parks in NJ are multi use with the exception of a few trails. I know when NJ went Multi use the TC lost a lot of there maintainers to the NJ trails but over time people are getting use to the fact that we need to share the trails today. Most people except the fact that Mt bikers are out there we just need to respect the trails and the hikers as well as do our part in maintaining the trails. Joining the TC is great thing and get involved with working with some of the trail crews, you will learn a lot when it comes to trail maint. If more Mt bikers get involved with the TC people will look at Mt bikers in a more positive way. I

www.jorba.org
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlight2003
    In years past I have been a card carrying member of the NY-NJ Trail Conference. I did this for a number of reasons, one of them being to support hiking trails in our state and the discount that it gives me on bike parts isn’t bad either.

My membership is about to need to be renewed and it got me thinking. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge about how they feel about multi use trails? Are they anti Mountain biking? I would like to be better informed about how they have or have not worked with the MTB community in the past.

-E

Good morning everyone. Thanks for bringing up the topic.

The NY-NJ Trail Conference is full of passionate folks that love the outdoors and love trails. That means we're very compatible organizations with very similar missions.

Although there is some anti-bike sentiment within their ranks, I don't feel this is the general consensus within the majority. I have met many folks within the TC that are generally positive about mountain bikers. Usually the ones that are negative about mountain bikers are ones that have not yet met a considerate mountain biker and/or bumped into one of our work crews on that trail. Once they do, they usually end up understanding us a little better and appreciating our efforts throughout NJ.

Recently, there is a new white trail connector that was built at the top of Skyline Drive. It was co-designed and co-built by NY-NJ Trail Conference and Ramapo Valley Cycling/JORBA. Its a nice addition to the network and it was built by hikers and mountain bikers side by side! This is a nice change of pace and I'd like to see this sort of thing continue!

If we all work together and learn more about each other, I have no doubt that relations will continue to improve between these two groups. After all, we're a lot more alike that we are different.
    Last edited by mergs; 08-03-2007 at 07:23 AM.
    www.JORBA.org - You Dig?
    What would we do without trails? www.IMBA.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks Jeff- that is the kind of information that I wanted to know.

-E
    I ride a singlespeed because it's harder.