mtbr member

North NJ - I'm new to the area, where are the good trails??

Just moved here from South Florida and would like your recommendations. I'm an advanced rider who's been fairly inactive for the last 6 months so I'd like to ease back into it.

For anyone familiar, I've pretty much ridden all sections of South Florida trails such as Markham, Virginia Key and Oleta River so I'm no stranger to pedaling like hell through abrupt climbs and riding the technical terrain.

I'm off exit 151 on the Garden State but will drive if it's worth it!

TIA
    Riding: 2012 Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon

Make some music
    Sep 2004
    Well you just hit Mountain biking Paydirt Man! Trail Directory | JORBA - You Dig? Have Fun!
    J.O.R.B.A. More than just tm. WWW.JORBA.ORG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratocaster View Post
    Well you just hit Mountain biking Paydirt Man! Trail Directory | JORBA - You Dig? Have Fun!
    Wow!!! Mindblown.

Where should I begin? I'm going to have fun exploring! Is there anything near the Bloomfield/Montclair area? I'm still not very familiar with what's where at this point.

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    As for MTB not really. not that I know of. But if you are willing to take a drive 40-50 minutes get you to most of the best riding in Jersey. Go to www.mtbnj.com. This is the local forum for NJ

mtbr member
    You're probably only 40min or so from Allamuchy State Park. Tons of trails! Bring a GPS or mark up a map as you go. There are many unmarked trails and you can get turned around.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions! I have a friend near Allamuchy so I just may have to check it out. I'll be sure to check the mtbnj forums as well!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I moved to the area about a year and a half ago and I'm right down the road from you in Little Falls.

I'll go to Lewis Morris Park in Morristown for a moderately close, less techy evening ride after work; 30 minutes or so (depending on I-287 traffic). For more technical riding and a little bit farther of a drive (40-45 minutes), Ringwood State Park is one of my favorites. BRING A MAP! or use the Maprika app and download the trail map ahead of time. I found out the hard way after getting lost without a map with all the fire roads and unmarked singletrack, but you can easily string together 20+ miles.

See you out there!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by njSS View Post
    I moved to the area about a year and a half ago and I'm right down the road from you in Little Falls.

I'll go to Lewis Morris Park in Morristown for a moderately close, less techy evening ride after work; 30 minutes or so (depending on I-287 traffic). For more technical riding and a little bit farther of a drive (40-45 minutes), Ringwood State Park is one of my favorites. BRING A MAP! or use the Maprika app and download the trail map ahead of time. I found out the hard way after getting lost without a map with all the fire roads and unmarked singletrack, but you can easily string together 20+ miles.

See you out there!
    Awesome! I'll def check it out one of these days. I'm still getting the family settled in and my wife is sorta hating this place right now (the horrible Winter didn't help) so as soon as things are back to normal, I plan to venture out. I'll drop you a pm, maybe you can show me around Lewis Morris!

mtbr member

North NJ - I'm new to the area, where are the good trails??

Allamuchy is great. I'm looking for something similar to that only closer to Mahwah. Allamuchy is an hr away from me. Would like something close for post work rides mid week.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkinbanana View Post
    Allamuchy is great. I'm looking for something similar to that only closer to Mahwah. Allamuchy is an hr away from me. Would like something close for post work rides mid week.
    Ringwood/Ramapo Mountain are pretty close to Mahwah. Lots of fun to be had after work if you park at the top of Skyline Drive and explore.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    This might help give you an idea of what some of the local parks offer Video Trail Reviews.Com

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Jungle Habitat in West Milford. Here's a map from Jorba:

http://jorba.org/sites/default/files/JH3_0.png

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PannikAttk View Post
    Just moved here from South Florida and would like your recommendations. I'm an advanced rider who's been fairly inactive for the last 6 months so I'd like to ease back into it.

For anyone familiar, I've pretty much ridden all sections of South Florida trails such as Markham, Virginia Key and Oleta River so I'm no stranger to pedaling like hell through abrupt climbs and riding the technical terrain.

I'm off exit 151 on the Garden State but will drive if it's worth it!

TIA
    This is really cute ! But seriously, you just moved to the NE. Times anything you have ridden in SF by 10, for technicality, and throw in steeper climbs, EVERYWHERE. You may not like your first few times riding. You will have to adjust to the rocks and roots for sure.

Now that being said, Welcome to some of the finest riding in the country. The tri-state area is incredible for trails.
    Don't just focus on NJ trails.... you must include NY in your search as well, as some of the best trails are within a 1.5 hr drive from Montclair.

Blue Mtn, NY (1 hr) - Probably THEE single best trails within a 2 hr drive.
    Ninham, NY (1.25hr) - Very very technical. probably avoid your 1st year.
    Graham Hills,NY (45min) - On the smaller side but worth the drive for sure.

For NJ you have Ringwood, Allamuchy, Hartshorne, Chimney Rock,Six Mile, etc etc.

mtbr member
    Don't rule out white clay Delaware. Sooo much fun there! Super flowy.

Also.. if you want to really get your skills up a trip to mountain Creek bike park must be made. DH glory!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk