Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19

    New Ringwood Map

    __________________________________________________ ______

    Update: November 21, 2011

    Added several new trails and changed the trail graphics


    Maps Monosujet.com ZE BLOG!
    Ringwood Trail Map Monosujet.com ZE BLOG!

    __________________________________________________ ______

    Hi all,

    I've been working on a downloadable Ringwood trail map and would love to have some feedback from people who know the area. I have several versions including a Garmin Custom Map in KML format (optimized for the Garmin Edge 800). Any volunteers who would like to test it out?

    All comments and suggestions are welcome

    Feel free to comment directly on my blog post, I shameless plug I know, but the maps are free

    Paul
    Last edited by ElPablo; 09-21-2011 at 02:06 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19
    URL coming next (not enough posts yet )

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    538
    i am by no means an expert on the trails but i'd say it looks pretty good, im really liking the how the terrain pops out.. thats awesome. you just need to ride some more trails to get more data!
    "The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a gun being cocked."

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jersey_Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    58
    Nice work!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by ajd245246 View Post
    i am by no means an expert on the trails but i'd say it looks pretty good, im really liking the how the terrain pops out.. thats awesome. you just need to ride some more trails to get more data!
    Hopefully I should get the rest of them over the weekend I spent endless nights getting that shaded relief to look just right - glad you like it! But I'm not very happy with the trail graphics, still have to figure it out...

    Paul

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey_Pete View Post
    Nice work!
    Thanks Cool avatar! Do you have pictures of all the other trail markers too? I could use those for my legend!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jersey_Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPablo View Post
    Thanks Cool avatar! Do you have pictures of all the other trail markers too? I could use those for my legend!
    The next time I am up there (usually every one or two weeks) I will take pictures and PM you.

  9. #9
    Est. 1971
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    291
    What does the double black diamond in the far left column of your menu represent? Surely not trail difficulty?

    Otherwise, I really like the shaded topo background.
    -Tim B
    Larry of the Swiss Alps

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey_Pete View Post
    The next time I am up there (usually every one or two weeks) I will take pictures and PM you.
    Fantastic, thanks!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_fsr View Post
    What does the double black diamond in the far left column of your menu represent? Surely not trail difficulty?

    Otherwise, I really like the shaded topo background.
    LOL, Ringwood isn't really a place for beginners While it doesn't have miles of endless climbing like some places out west and in the alps, many of the trails are extremely technical (especially for XC). I've been to many places in Vermont and upstate NY, Quebec and France and I haven't come across anything nearly as technical (fields of babyheads come to mind :-). What's your take on it?

    I also listed the 6-Gap (Mad King Classic) road ride in Vermont as double black diamond but am considering bumping it up to 3. It's harder than most 'cols' i've ridden in france as american roads tend to go straight up mountains instead of winding gently up (i.e. the brutal Lincoln Gap).

    Paul

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_fsr View Post
    What does the double black diamond in the far left column of your menu represent? Surely not trail difficulty?

    Otherwise, I really like the shaded topo background.
    My double diamond evaluation includes the Ramapo area (white, yellow, Cannonball...)
    which is much more technical than the Ringwood sector...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkmacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,010
    nice map. imho getting accoss skyline drive to the new connector is the tricky part. most of us mtb around ringwood but how do we get accross from ramapo to ringwood state park? gpx files would be great too as i still download to my delorne
    Look to where the river ends, or where the river starts...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19
    Map has been updated - see first post!


    @jkmacman
    The best way to get to Ringwood from Ramapo is by following the Cannonball trail - I don't have a GPX of it but I'm sure if you search the Garmin Connect website you'll find something. If not, I'll record one for you next time I'm there (October 1-2).

    Paul

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkmacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,010
    i mtb canonball but i find t.o.s. a grey area. when i cross over there's the road to bear swamp, no cycling. a trail to todd lake (wrong way) and another rocky trail.

    i cycled out of rsp on james place but the new connector brings you to t..o.s.
    Look to where the river ends, or where the river starts...

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JeffSpicoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    137
    Looks good, & thanks for your hard work. Not as comprehensive as the Jorba map but the topography graphics look real nice. If the two maps could be super-imposed on one another and fit to scale; it might just be perfect!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by jkmacman View Post
    i mtb canonball but i find t.o.s. a grey area. when i cross over there's the road to bear swamp, no cycling. a trail to todd lake (wrong way) and another rocky trail.

    i cycled out of rsp on james place but the new connector brings you to t..o.s.
    Ringwood-Ramapo trail (Red blazed) from RW to Ramapo is considered multi-use (open to bikes) and is part of RSP jurisdiction. Make sure you follow blazes across stream. There are a ton of unmarked quad roads spider webbing that can lead you over towards James place neighborhoods.

    Get yourself up are over the mountain going east until it dumps you on yellow. From there you take yellow east to Cannonball.

    This route is not a beginner trail, but many bike friendly improvements have been made in the past several years. It passes through some outstanding terrain.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkmacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by pixy View Post
    Ringwood-Ramapo trail (Red blazed) from RW to Ramapo is considered multi-use (open to bikes) and is part of RSP jurisdiction. Make sure you follow blazes across stream. There are a ton of unmarked quad roads spider webbing that can lead you over towards James place neighborhoods.

    Get yourself up are over the mountain going east until it dumps you on yellow. From there you take yellow east to Cannonball.

    This route is not a beginner trail, but many bike friendly improvements have been made in the past several years. It passes through some outstanding terrain.

    thanks for the info. red blazed to yellow should get me to t.o.s.

    i was thinking of setting a weigh point on my delorne at t.o.s., then driving car to ryerson and navigating to the weigh point.

    with the weigh point, gps and sticking on red to yellow should help keep me from getting too lost
    Look to where the river ends, or where the river starts...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkmacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,010
    other folks were saying its gonna be too muddy today to mtb ringwood

    the plan was to mtb from ryerson. i had good advice red blazed to yellow. i am just to slow on the techie stuff so i bailed at the gate on skyline drive about .85 mile from t.o.s

    ryerson to skyline drive by jkmacman at Garmin Connect - Details

    here's 3 way points that can help navigating ringwood-ramapo

    41.048353,-74.252036, TOS
    41.107766,-74.244486,RYERSON
    41.060094,-74.250857, Skyline Drive Gate (transformer station)


    this pic is at the end of the red blazed trail, 1/2 from ryerson to tos as crow flies (2 miles to tos, 2 miles to ryerson) 4 miles from ryerson to tos as crow flies. i came up about .85 mile short today as baied at the transformer station gate on skyline drive, took tarmac back to ryserson

    Look to where the river ends, or where the river starts...

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19

    Ringwood Trail Map Update !

    Hey guys, it's been a while but I finally got around to updating my Ringwood trail map ! The kmz version is pretty cool, you can open it in Google Earth or better yet copy it directly to your Garmin Edge 800


    Ringwood Garmin custom map (kmz)

    Ringwood trail map

    I welcome all comments and suggestions on my map page:
    Maps Monosujet.com


    ENJOY !!


    ElPablo

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    538

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by ElPablo View Post
    Hey guys, it's been a while but I finally got around to updating my Ringwood trail map ! The kmz version is pretty cool, you can open it in Google Earth or better yet copy it directly to your Garmin Edge 800


    Ringwood Garmin custom map (kmz)

    Ringwood trail map

    I welcome all comments and suggestions on my map page:
    Maps Monosujet.com


    ENJOY !!


    ElPablo
    That map is AWESOME! Nice job
    "The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a gun being cocked."

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7
    Thanks for this!!!

  23. #23
    Ghost Rider
    Reputation: MannyL358's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    93
    Hey Pablo,

    Nice job on the map. I just want to point out some needed corrections to the Ramapo Mt part of the map. Here's a map I put together using a GPS. The parking area on skyline is incorrect as well as a few other trails.

    Thanks for putting this together.

    http://videotrailreviews.com/trails/Ramapo_map

  24. #24
    Workin Hard To Stay Young
    Reputation: darkstar1974's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    23
    Im having trouble opening the KMZ version. I run a garmin 800 and would love to copy it to there, just can't figrue out what to do. When I try to open it, Adobe Photoshop opens and then says something about it being on an old version of google earth. Anyone have a clue?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TrekFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    753
    great work. i wish someone would do this for wawayanda

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ringwood?
    By roody in forum New Jersey
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 10-13-2009, 07:52 AM
  2. Where in Ringwood?
    By Brozie in forum New Jersey
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 02:29 PM
  3. Ringwood 3/18??
    By rryyddeerr in forum New Jersey
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-17-2006, 09:57 AM
  4. 5/12 Ringwood Lot C 5:30.?.
    By fakebeave in forum New Jersey
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 01:17 PM
  5. Sat. 5/15 at Ringwood
    By genesisadventures in forum New Jersey
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-10-2004, 12:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •