mtbr member
    Apr 2012

New Rider / Trails

I still consider myself a new rider. This is my second season, although the first season was cut short after 4 weeks of riding due to a surgery I had on my back (not from MTB).

I found some of the trails i used to ride on a little too technical for me. The one I enjoyed the most was 6 Mile Run.

However, are there any other trails that allow for cruising fireroads and singletracks? Something to get back into the sport. I am obviously out of shape since I couldn't move much in the past 6 months and not sure if I'll be in shape to do any climbs at the moment. But I do want to get back into enjoying the sport and working on getting my fitness back.

I'm in Middlesex county but open to traveling out of my area if needed.
    2011 Specialized Rockhopper Expert 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The trails at Allaire (off hospital road in Wall township) are fairly non-technical and flat-ish..stick to the main (blue, orange) trails. I don't measure metrics, but I can't imagine that there is more than ~50 feet of elevation change from the highest to the lowest point. Elevation changes are fairly gradual.

The only obstacle of note on the main (orange) trail is to the right from the parking lot, a 10 foot or so climb that is a bit root-y/has narrow line. There is, maybe, a foot drop at the bottom of the other side. I know JORBA does rides there, but I'm not sure when.

If you are just looking to grind out miles and stay on dirt, the D&R canal path is a good choice. Close to 40 miles on the main stretch, and 20-something along the Delaware. It's as flat and non-technical as off-road comes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the info.

I don't mind elevation changes as long as its nothing that is steep. Last season I was climbing 20-25' that were so steep if you lost momentum, you couldn't even put your feet down, just had to roll back or fall and slide down with your bike. haha

My preference right now is to avoid rocks and technical trails. Mostly dirt with a few tree roots are fine.

Is the D&R canal path in Allaire as well?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nope, starts across from Rutger's stadium in Brunswick, goes all the way down through Trenton to Washington's Crossing, then up to New Hope. There's something like 30 access points along the entire thing. For the most part, it's compacted earth, with a mix of gravel, pea gravel, pavement, or cobblestones (just the few old spillways), depending on where you are. The raw earth surfaces are usually pretty gross this time of year; it's used as a commuter highway by people on bikes, regardless of the weather, so it gets churned up and never really dries out until mid-Spring (the main culprit here are the sections between Kingston, Princeton, and Lawrenceville). It's a dual-track trail, and always expect fairly heavy traffic on it. No horses though, so that's a plus

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You can try cheasquake state park off of the parkway. It's a good place to go to get back into riding. The white trail is Smooth flowing single track. Not too technical but fun. You can also ride on smooth firetrails. It's somewhere around exit 120 or 125 off the gsp.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Nope, starts across from Rutger's stadium in Brunswick, goes all the way down through Trenton to Washington's Crossing, then up to New Hope. There's something like 30 access points along the entire thing. For the most part, it's compacted earth, with a mix of gravel, pea gravel, pavement, or cobblestones (just the few old spillways), depending on where you are. The raw earth surfaces are usually pretty gross this time of year; it's used as a commuter highway by people on bikes, regardless of the weather, so it gets churned up and never really dries out until mid-Spring (the main culprit here are the sections between Kingston, Princeton, and Lawrenceville). It's a dual-track trail, and always expect fairly heavy traffic on it. No horses though, so that's a plus
    oh wow, wasn't aware we had something like that in NJ that went that far. I'll have to take a ride to brunswick and find out where it starts. It's been a while since I've been around rutgers.

mtbr member
    FTR, you would be surprised how quickly your endurance will increase with a bit more time on the saddle. I was 285 lbs when I got back into it and was suffering A LOT at first. Over time and practice, I had improved greatly. It's always about having fun, so no need to kill yourself at first.

Good luck with the ride...I have the same bike in my garage.
    Nothing really witty to say..........