mtbr member
    Apr 2013

New to MTB. Bergen County

So I am going to be new to MTB. Going to pick up a Diamondback Overdrive Sport 29er. Could get it for more than half off, so I will have room to upgrade, when I figure out what I want.

Looking to get started on some easy trails in the area. Also open to any information and tips anyone has.

mtbr member
    West: Lewis Morris is steep-ish but non-technical.
    South: Allaire is supposedly fun for beginners-I've never made it there. Also Six Mile Run.
    REAL easy:
    The Patriot's Path trail network is mostly flat with some roots.
    Loantaka Brook has a pleasant path system.

The closer parks to you such as Ringwood and Ramapo are pretty technical and rocky but fun.

Mahlon Dickerson, Deer Park (Allamuchy) and Kittatinny would probably count as intermediate depending on which trails you hit.
    Have fun!

'Tis but a scratch
    Check out this site. Honest reviews. You can see a little of what they have too. Well produced.

Video Trail Reviews.Com Trail Directory

Also, combine that with www.JORBA.org | JORBA - You Dig? and you will find a lot of places in NJ.

And mtbNJ.com - Powered by vBulletin tends to be a better resource for NJ specific information than this site.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks guys I will look into all of that info. Hopefully going to get my bike in a couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    I have no flippin idea why I didn't mention mtbnj. Durr...
    Good luck and have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah, I signed up with them last week bit can't post anything. I verified my account, and messaged the admins but nothing. So for now I'm just stalking over there for info haha.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bravill82nd View Post
    Yeah, I signed up with them last week bit can't post anything. I verified my account, and messaged the admins but nothing. So for now I'm just stalking over there for info haha.
    Same here. Signed up/activated 4/11/13, messaged admin 4/29/13 about not having any permissions but no reply so far....

'Tis but a scratch
    Same happened when I signed up for MTBNJ. Seems like a long time to get permissions. It was almost enough to make me say "forget it". But, the local knowledge is great. I particularly liked the condition updates throughout the winter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I would suggest everyone who lives in Bergen County call the parks department with this question. Tell them you are a resident and ask where you can ride your mountain bike.

The county has along history of denying opportunities for off road cycling, and unless they here from you, things will not change.

Bergen County, NJ - Official Website - Parks

Quote Originally Posted by Bravill82nd View Post
    So I am going to be new to MTB. Going to pick up a Diamondback Overdrive Sport 29er. Could get it for more than half off, so I will have room to upgrade, when I figure out what I want.

Looking to get started on some easy trails in the area. Also open to any information and tips anyone has.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    Same happened when I signed up for MTBNJ. Seems like a long time to get permissions. It was almost enough to make me say "forget it". But, the local knowledge is great. I particularly liked the condition updates throughout the winter.
    I PM'd the admins about that last week. Dunno if they got anyone going yet but I tried.
    Last edited by extremedave; 05-15-2013 at 10:40 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I also have been in the moderation queue for a decent length of time now. I tried somehow messaging the admins but I can't since I am not activated yet.

If anyone here has any way to contact them, or if any of the mods/admins of MTBNJ.com read this - can I please get taken off the moderation queue. (user: robr1023)

That forum seems awesome, and I'm really looking forward to being a member there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

I just got the email that my account has been activated.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hey guys, sorry for the delay. by the end of today every user will either be approved as expected or rejected if you gave too little info. Seems our approving monkey ate a bad banana and died on the keyboard. He happened to randomly type out McBeth while in his dying throes, but then he was then unable to approve anything

-Utah

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    thanks joe