New Jersey Trail Status

Noticed some are already reopening:

Anyone care to note any downed tree or flooded locations at:
    1) Hartshorne
    2) Ringwood
    3) Tourne
    4) Lewis Morris

mtbr member
    I havent been since the storm but Hartshorne had 2 downed trees on Laurel Ridge. 1 was dead fall from just prior to the storm, the other has been there all summer. Both are on the end nearer to the fireroad and Grand tour. Might get a ride in tom. I will report back if I do...
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Can't comment on those particular parks, but did some recon investication at both Deer Park and Allamuchy North. Both are in rough shape with heavy wash out's and multiple trees/large limbs down throughout the trails.
    Nothing really witty to say..........

mtbr member

Tourne

Heading up Tourne peak, there is still a light trickle and fairly drained, exception being the Grand Canyon 2.0 down the middle of the graveled path up/down it.

Noticed two downed trees, both navigable around, alot of loose leaf branches however. Seems park service closed gates, and piles of branches, (someone's been cleaning, Thanks),

The trails are relatively dry and drained, but I'd avoid the constantly muddy section that's before the Mountain Lakes/Tourne trail fork split, one of the two downed trees is at the end of the mudfest FYI.

I'd give it a another day or two for complete drainage, (weekend rain ?)

Just keep a heads up for half-broken or dangling branches.

Seems I'll be probably be heading west (PA ROTHROCK) this weekend.

mtbr member
    Got a ride in at Hartshorne today. In general lots of sticks and leaves on the trails (to be expected) so watch your derailleurs haha

Laurel Ridge: ~ 1 dozen trees down spread out, with one bad section that requires hiking. otherwise decent condition
    Grand Tour (Main part, from top of the hill on the fireroad where the bench is all the way to Rocky Point): Good condition no trees down, no flooding, just some sticks and leaves.
    Rocky point (from Grand tour to where the beach and dock are): decent condition, few trees were cut up. 1 really bad section with 2 trees and lots of underbrush, it was difficult for me at 6'5 to navigate over even if I didn't have a bike...

Hope this helps.
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    LM - trees blocking the entire trail very close to the start of the yellow by the pond. I think you can even see the blockage from the pond.

mtbr member
    We rode Hartshorne today, it was just as jtnord said, very ridable with a few sections that needed hiking. Additional erosion from the last time. It was good to get out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Rode Ringwood Wednesday. They're Beat up! but rideable, Trail work was already done on some trails as far as chainsaw work to clear trails. the more riders the better they will get. Ride and Clean...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ringwood: updated by Jorba 9/8/11

We have had a lot of rain recently, so expect some standing water, mostly on fire roads. Hurricane Irene has left the fire roads very eroded. Please take caution. Many trails are in good condition. Please avoid low lying trails for 2 days after rain. 14 more blow down trees were removed today from trails by Jorba. RSP and forest service is working on a bunch as well. Thanks for your patience.

Enjoy the weekend!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just did chimney rock yesterday. It's a little wet and a few downed trees but doable. After today's sun it should be good. Few puddles and streams. The slippery rocks and roots are kinda a pain though, Plenty of people were there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Mercer County Trails , 2 trees down (they are in the process of getting them up...still.) and still very, very muddy (not sure why.)

mtbr member
    high mountain had a few trees down, muddy in sections and as always rocky
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2002 Raleigh Mountain Scout
    2008 Trek fuel ex7