mtbr member
    Aug 2012

New Jersey off road under fire

Okay, new here did a search with no results but wanted to make you aware of a proposed new rule. I know it refers to motorcycles but I ask whats next? Please take the time to respond. http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/proposals/20120716a.pdf NJDEP-Rules & Regulations-Comment on DEP Rulemaking

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The Department proposes a definition of “off-road vehicle.” The greater availability of
    new types of off-road vehicles and the popularity of their use in State Parks and Forests is having
    detrimental effects on many areas of New Jersey’s State Parks and Forests. Use of off-road
    vehicles is causing erosion, destruction of the habitat for sensitive animals and plants, and other
    negative impacts. The proposed definition applies to N.J.A.C. 7:2-3.4(d), Restriction on
    operation of motor vehicles, which precludes the use of off-road vehicles on any land or water
    under the jurisdiction of the State Park Service, except under limited circumstances. Although
    the proposed definition includes “motorcycles,” as defined in the statutes governing motor
    vehicles and traffic regulations, the Department has excluded from the proposed definition those
    motorcycles that are designed to be licensed and operated on the public roadways and highways.
    Such motorcycles include touring motorcycles, traditional or commuter-type, cruisers or
    choppers, and sport bikes (sometimes referred to as “crotch rockets”). These motorcycles are not
    designed to be operated off-road and are, therefore, excepted from the proposed definition.
    Accordingly, unlike the vehicles categorized as off-road vehicles, motorcycles may be driven on
    established public roads and in designated parking areas. (See also proposed amended N.J.A.C.
    7:2-3.2.)

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    So I would guess a dual sport of street and trail would be allowed?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yes. From what I've heard, dual sport will be allowed. It appears that the DEP is attempting to define and exclude the converted mx'rs.

rzip
    Apr 2009
    I cant beleive I read that legal head spin. Maybe I read it wrong but it looks like they are trying to generate some money by instituting new charges. 2500 per day for professional photo shoots. 50 per day for student videos . 1300 for the waterloo concert field per day. parking fees for events/competitions at state parks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I can't believe they actually used the term "crotch rocket".

mtbr member
    "Use of off-road
    vehicles is causing erosion, destruction of the habitat for sensitive animals and plants, and other
    negative impacts. "

Dirt bike riders created a lot of the trails I ride. I'd love to see trails set aside for dual sport moto's only. Never happen though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    and people wonder why i call this state New Germany.

home slice chili sauce
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    I was thinking the same thing!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by solarity View Post
    I was thinking the same thing!
    +3
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nj is allotted 250000 a year to maintain atv trails...I'd love to see where that money goes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynkssws6 View Post
    Nj is allotted 250000 a year to maintain atv trails...I'd love to see where that money goes.
    Where is that info from? A fed or gov site?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    That pretty much sits inthe fund, since there has been little org work from the moto group. In the last few years there has been some movement and some org for another moto park. If you look at the DEP site and poke around you can find how hte money has been alolocated. I think last year $300,000 was granted out to a group for the moto park. Dont hold me to that but thats what I recall. For bikes JORBA has been awarded quite a bit of grant money for trail work.
    www.JORBA.org
    You Dig?
    "The rides to short to not kick against the pricks" M.F.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Can't remember where I read it, it was a while ago. So the money just sits there? As far as I know there are no trails in nj where you can legally ride atvs dirt bikes etc and that's the real problem.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Can't remember where I read it, it was a while ago. So the money just sits there? As far as I know there are no trails in nj where you can legally ride atvs dirt bikes etc and that's the real problem.
    I heard that the state is negotiating to purchase the old Mt. Pleasant MX Track. Prob'ly your best bet for info, would be to reach out to Dale Freitas and crew.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey_Pete View Post
    Where is that info from? A fed or gov site?
    right here
    NJ Enacts Off-road Vehicle Legislation after 10-Year Fight, But Implementation Is on Hold | New York-New Jersey Trail Conference

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    So long story short the state wants me to register and insure an atv buy yet I have zero incentive to do so.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    So long story short the state wants me to register and insure an atv buy yet I have zero incentive to do so.
    BINGO!
    btw did ya put sta-bil in said atv (you know,the one you can't ride legaly ride in this communist state)?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    What would you prefer they use? "japper"? or "rice burner"?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by drewvir View Post
    BINGO!
    btw did ya put sta-bil in said atv (you know,the one you can't ride legaly ride in this communist state)?
    Yeah I put it in my big gas can that I use to fill all my small engine equipment it's good insurance.

mtbr member
    I heard there was a park in South NJ that was opening for motos.

rzip
    Apr 2009
    About two weeks ago there was an article in the star ledger about the new atv park in south jersey. The state purchased a track that was privatly owned. They basically have just the old mx track right now but plan on putting more track on the acerage. What I found interesting is that a spokesman said they are negotiating for a north jersey site, but when asked,declined to say where.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziprace View Post
    About two weeks ago there was an article in the star ledger about the new atv park in south jersey. The state purchased a track that was privatly owned. They basically have just the old mx track right now but plan on putting more track on the acerage. What I found interesting is that a spokesman said they are negotiating for a north jersey site, but when asked,declined to say where.
    Hmmmmm, the old DuPont site cannot be built up with houses or industry. I wonder.