mtbr member
    Aug 2005

New question here. Need a trail to get the g/f into the sport....

Hey everyone....I'm currently trying to get my girlfriend hooked in the sport. Probably should have BEFORE buying her a bike, but that just means I can't mess up. I need a trail that will be fun, but pretty quick. (See: girly girl-ish). Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated. I've ridden Lewis Morris and Patriot's Path....they are getting kind of boring haha.

mtbr member
    Is it for you or for her? Lewis Morris and Patriots Path is excellent for beginners. Taking her anywhere that is more difficult will mean the dog house for you

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I agree totally....this is absolutely for her. I was hoping there was a trail or two on par with that, possibly a little easier even just for variety. I don't want a rail trail, but a nice tight smooth single would be sweet. Anyone have any advice about the easy side of Allamuchy or Kittatinny State? I've heard good things.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I always take beginners to Allaire. Lots of nice rolling single track and over to Point Pleasant for a beer at the Tiki Bar after.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Clayton

Clayton is smooth (for the most part) flowy and not too long- I usually lap the place several times to get in a good ride. There are no rock gardens to speak of and the log piles are pretty spread out and usually have options to ride around.

Although I live very, very close I have very little experience with six mile run although my guess is that would be a good place as well.

Allamuchy (Deer Park Section?) the easier section would not be too bad as well but this time of year it might be buggy which is something to consider..
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Kittatinny is where mtn2sea and I lead our all girl beginner rides. IMO It is a great choice. There is a rail bed there that goes through some beautiful rocky areas, and one can venture out a bit onto the trails and test one's self gradually. Just think baby steps. It is a fantastic sport for the ladies. Good luck and check the jorba calendar for girl rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    There is always the happy trail. It can be easy or hard to follow at times . It depends or her mood.You wont even need your bike.

mtbr member
    I say take her to Clayton. That's where I took one of my ex gf's when she wanted to get into riding. The ground is firm and the climbs arent too steep. The trails are also wide and all of the little obstacles have places where you can just ride around them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by giantcajones
    There is always the happy trail. It can be easy or hard to follow at times . It depends or her mood.You wont even need your bike.
    haha

lotto baby
    i'd do allaire before 6 mile - 6 mile has a good amount of obstacles in a couple spots - which could make for a lot of stop and go frustration... most of it is for cruising, but there are a couple stretches i could see frustrating for a beginner.

my wife is pretty much a beginner, and she loves allaire. she also likes lewis morris, but she gets sketched in the rooty spots.

i say hit allaire, and hop over 35 into spring lake and grab some ice cream when you're done... or drive a bit north to off the hook for some crab cake sandwiches and beers afterwards... its a cool spot with an ocean view by sandy hook. it's a big hit with my wife. after a frustration-ridden ride at hartshorne with her (logs sketch her out) a visit to off the hook totally saved me and future wife-attending rides.
    i spurt in the wind, and the wind drug it

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by giantcajones
    Last time I was there my little buddy puked up all over the place. I tried to rub it in, but the ranger kicked me out. WTF?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for all the helpful advice guys. I really appreciate it. Keep it coming cause I'm always looking for some fun trails to bring her to. Going to to Try Kitatiny today. I'll let you know how it goes....It's going to be me, her and her little sister haha.

i want spring!

Flat

i use to take newbies to Mercer. Pretty flat and twisty enough for a beginner to learn brake control and handling.

allaire, would be my second choice.

~Db
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

mtbr member
    You've got good advice here so far. When i started riding with GF we used to go to Clayton, Allaire, and Kittatiny. We used to do Allaire a lot, just avoid the sandy parts. Once she's comfortable on the bike and the concept Kittatiny is a great place to introduce rocks. I would avoid technical riding for a good while.

thats my red stapler

no joke

put her in clipless pedals and take her to someplace moderately technical, like hartshore...it worked for me at least I ended up marrying her. she only went over the bars once!
    [SIZE=2]when the going gets tough the world gets reduced to one pedal stroke at a time[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Was a mistake on my behalf to take my wife to Ringwood the first couple of times we went riding?

Now she usually says she doesn't come with me when I go riding...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    you cant really blame her..Ringwood isnt the most "fun" place for a noob

mtbr member
    I learned at Ringwood, and I'm a "girl".

Sometimes I wonder why I went back after my first ride, but I did and I love it.

The right bike and the right attitude are necessary for this sport, now if I could just find some trails that made my BOYFRIEND happy I'd be all set.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

hartshorne or mercer

I would try hartshorne, smooth, some climbing but not intense, nice ocean views, if it goes really well, try to get her to the sandy hook clothing optional beach for a refreshing swim after the ride. Or you could try mercer, fun trails, no climbs, and if it goes bad you can try to make it up to het at quakerbridge mall 5 minutes away. Hope it goes well. Also, Clayton is a great place and if it sucks you can take her to great adventure.

mtbr member
    Lewis Morris or Tourne.......Great for beginners...

mtbr member
    i second 6 mile.