mtbr member

My Favorite Tire to Ride in New Jersey Is.... Because.....

Sup MTB Homies from the Gargen State?

I been forking over dough for my mtb like a sailor on leave. Beyond the mechanical upgrades of rear d.r., cassette, chain, shifters, crank, new wheel set, alost got fox shocks, but schmidge too small.

now I am honing in our tires. i am a clincher kind guy. before i went on a sprre buying bikes this year, i put some inverted knobbies, on a rigid raligh glacier.

the giant yuokn fx came with kenda nevagals, they got a flat last fall at the mtn man, and beyond some one recommended ocer inflating for races, they recomended wider tires. (cretin said 2.35"), so i shlepped down to campmor and picked up a pair of cont' mtb king 2.4" tires. The I love for the winter, muddy and rocky terrain. Since I live far from any real mtb, i decided to put on some tires for cycling 'round the hood.

i piceked up one 1.9" all terrain wtb tire from camp, more, i was thinking just get one, keep one 2.2" kenda one the rear, and swap out a 2.4" conti, when i hit the woods, revert to the wtb for 'the hood'

it turns out my wrench is building me a nice new set of wheels, so i schlepp back to camp mor, but no luck with 1.9" wtb, they're out, an get more in a few days.

so last night in the rain, i take the mtb, w/ 1.9" wtb on front, 2.1" nevegal on rear for a guick spin 'round the hood.

the bike is flying as it lighter w/new components and the thinner tires (had two 2.4" tires on just a few days ago)

i opted for a chain guard and no big ring, so i attack a couple hills of tarmac, out around, then head back, as only have blinky on back, left planet bike lights w/velco on other bike, didn't put on bolt on ones purchased today at campmor

so i hop onto a sidewalk of grass, and take semi fall avoding tree bracnh, it seems the wtb all terrain tire is superior on tarmac then on wet grass

now i know, but i like the wtb tire, can't wait to get another, and next week shoulf have a wheel-set for the 'hood and one for the woods

the up shot!: folks are cycling waywalanda this week end as a prep for next week end h2hrace

me i got a mtb with a front tarmac tire, okay, i am a wus, and hope to at least make lewsi morris h2h race, prior to another mtn man

What's your tire situtation like?

the conti mtn king tires are good in snow, mud and rocky terrain, but no match for this icey night at shepherd lake, studded tires or bust A MUST under these conditions. What are you rolling on this time of year pratel?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    WTF? I wnat teh tmie bcak I jstt spnet raednig taht siht!
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

powered by ibuprofen

I think he meant:

Ipso Lorem?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Vivamus vestibulum commodo libero. Suspendisse posuere sapien vitae ipsum. Quisque vehicula mauris eget ante. Phasellus porta congue mauris. Nulla lorem tellus, scelerisque ac, congue vel, semper non, urna. Morbi feugiat congue diam. Curabitur ornare lacinia ipsum. Integer dictum orci commodo leo. Ut ultrices. Maecenas rutrum nisi viverra turpis. In neque felis, fringilla ut, tristique sed, iaculis sed, turpis. Duis mollis, dolor ut commodo fringilla, tellus elit convallis massa, vel iaculis mauris erat ac nisl. Aliquam aliquet, elit et vulputate tristique, ante diam vestibulum arcu, id egestas orci tellus id justo. Vivamus mattis magna nec ante. Maecenas feugiat elit a urna tempus porttitor.
    ....what the hell you lookin' down here for?

mtbr member

tire size

in less keystrokes:

what tires are you using this time of year.

me: in the woods: i think i am reverting back to the 2.1" kenda nevagal's the bike came with

in the 'hood (around the town i live): 1.9" wtb

mtbr member

Kenda Nevagal 2.1

That is the short answer. I use them on a Giant Trance and inflate to 30 psi. My weight, which effects your psi, is about 187 lbs.

Nevagals in 2.35 work quite well but I find them too "sticky" and slow for my XC style of riding.

mtbr member
    thanks for the feedback.

the cat that told me go wider, actually recommended 2.35's but the shop only had 2.4" when i went shopping

now i am considering putting the conti mtn king 2.4" on front and kenda 2.1" on rear

at first i though put wider on back, but some one on a forum, said, fatter goes in front. This i buy into since north jersey is a bit rocky, and the fat front could help especially with the p.o.s. dart 2 fork i currently have

it will be some time before snow fall grace's the ruins of ringwood, so i'll select my tire accordingly!

mtbr member

Wider on front

I ride with someone who swears by the Mountain Kings and has the 2.4 in tubeless front and rear on an Intense 5.5. If your tires do not match, the wider one goes on the front.

I have three mountain bikes all built up for different purposes.

The Trance might be called all mountain and I use the 2.1 Nevagals. It is also the bike I ride the most.

My Santa Cruz Chameleon is a long travel hardtail and has Nevagal 2.5 front/2.35 rear. It is failry sluggish but the sticky Nevagal crawl over anything I have the nerve to ride. It is a fun bike but not something I ride that often.

The last bike is an Independent Fabrication hardtail which is built to be xc race light and has 2.0 Hutchinson Piranhas. They roll great but can get cut up pretty quickly in the rock gardens we have in the Northeast. I no longer race (I was never very serious about racing anyway) so that bike also hangs in the basement most of the time. Its like have an exotic car you only take out of really nice days. Fun but not as practical as the family wagon.

mtbr member

2 and 2

I currently have 2 mtb and 2 road.

One of the mtb is anciet, raleigh glacier, it has the inverted knobbies and is at my summer camper at the catskills.

So my only real mtb, is the Yukon FX.

Road have a giant ocr-3 with cheap bontrager tires and trek 5600 with conti's (blue ones)

Although yukon is bottom rung of full suspension bikes. It has had the most tukas time, since I bought it in August. My next upgrade is a wheel set (hand made), and can easily be ported to a better bike if need be.

Rip
    Broken
    I'm liking 26x2.35 Maxxis Minion DHF's.
    À tout le monde. À tous mes amis. Je vous aime. Je dois partir.
    These are the last words I'll ever speak And they'll set me free

mtbr member

2.35"

Quote Originally Posted by Rip
    Maxxis Minion DHF's.
    2.35" is what a guy {Cretin} recommended when i wanted to change my 2.1 nevegal, i find the 2.4" a bit wide this time of year, but i don't do down hill mostly x.c

last night i put the 2.1" nevegal on my new mavic, probably put 2.4 conti mtn king on the front for the trails, currently have 1.9" wtb on my old front wheel, as new wheel did not fit w/dart 2

mtbr member
    I went with the majority of NJ riders that suggested the Kenda Nevegals 2.1's, which look like 2.3's for some reason. While the tire had great grip in nearly all situations i found they were horrible with the amount of rips they get in their side walls from rock gardens. The tires got rips so bad they needed to be replaced before the treads wore down. Both front and back. I need to find a tire that is wide and grips well like the Nevegals, but isn't subject to tearing the sidewalls.

I like riding XC techy singletrack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

2.1 WTB VelociRaptors

I have found these to be the most versatile and durable (after they fix the knobbies tearing off years ago) well spaced knobs and grippy.

mtbr member

me too

now i remember why i took of the kenda nevagal, i got a flat at the mtn man, and i buddy recommended over-inflating for races and getting 2.35" tires, i ended up getting the 2.4" conti mtn king

last night, i took the mtn king off the back and put back the 2.1" nevagal, ( i want thinner for race season)

anyway, i probably put the 2.4" conti on the front, but should just get a couple of nice 2.1" tires for race season

my dart 2 fork is having issues with my new mavic wheel & hub, spokes are hitting, so as usual glitched make it unlikely i'll attempt wayway this sunday

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dash33
    2.1 WTB VelociRaptors

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have found these to be the most versatile and durable (after they fix the knobbies tearing off years ago) well spaced knobs and grippy.
    i have a 1.9" all terrain wtb on the front, and it's good and fast for the tarmac but not really suited for the woods, last week on a rainy night they slipped out on a rooty, grassy, curb

mtbr member
    +1 for the WTB's I was running 2.1 weirwolfs pretty much year round. But I had a older Kenda (1.9) laying around that I threw on the rear; so I can conserve my other weirwolf for later. The kenda is pretty knobby - relating back to wtb the tread design somewhat resembles a rear velicilraptor. I think Kenda discontinued the model and theres no model written on the tire, and they have no similar tread design in their current model selection.

By they way my weirwolfs seem to be pretty darn durable I throw alot of abuse at those things.
    Mary ss shenanigans

mtbr member
    Definetly mountain kings w/ black chilli and protection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xmangox
    Definetly mountain kings w/ black chilli and protection.
    what size mtn king?

i have 2.4" in front, and some folks in south jersey (ccc), where amazed at the size, in north jersey, with all the rocks, i like having one in the front, and i have a 2.1" kenda nevagal in the back

i have an extra wheel set for urban assault with 1.9" wtb all terrain. i used on saturday a nice 17.5 mile road ride (franklin lake tri course), the all terrain tire is not so great in rain as it is more plasticy than rubbery, and although ride on ashpahlt well, can be slippery on wet grass and wet roots

great at attacking curbs (wtb-all terrain)

mtbr member
    Widest I could fit was 2.2" I love them! This summer when I get my Intense frame I'll be getting 2.4"s!

mtbr member

intensen frame

what's the deal with your upgrade?

me i upgraded my giant yukon fx, beyond reason, luckily i suk at mtb, so i don't need a new frame yet, and the fx is a medium (my size), i am looking to replace my other giant (ocr-3) since its too big)

anyways wrenchscience seems to be cheaper then jenson gfor this frame, but i never but nothin from either
    http://www.wrenchscience.com/WSLogic...ompany=Intense

last time i bought online from performance bikes, the brakes i got were not even compatibale with the giant ocr-3, i sent them back,

i was thinking about buying a giant tcr-advance frame that is couple of years old for $900

i'll stick with the alum ocr-3 mostly for use on the trainer, i'm just skeptical when i upgrade the frame, all the stuff not gonna fit

also, like last year, i was looking for a wheelset for ocr-3, and i picked up a sweet campy packed trek 5600, it had sweet mavic wheels, carbon frame and campy stuff

let me know you you make out with your intense frame

good luck

jkmacman

mtbr member
    I'll be getting a SOCOM FRO frame w/ new wheels & tires. Basically a whole new bike build.

Sorry to hear about those problems you had ordering stuff. Bike stuff can be so confusing at times!!

I rode GCC today and some parts of the trail really need some loving care. There are some big tree's across parts of the trail. Otherwise it was a fun ride. I did faceplant off the top of the giant Teeter LOL!! Good thing it's built on a large sand pit, the bike is fine though. Amazing how tough well made bikes are!!

mtbr member

last week-end some one told me see saw is not sized right, either too short or too long

maybe keep your weight back more like a manual?

good luck with your new bike

you may want to check out some other trails then gcc, i like camden if you can drive fair hill, md, wissahickon and allaire are nice