vgt
    mtbr member

Mtn Bike Riding in Sterling Forest?

I heard there are bike tours this Sunday at Sterling Forest...part of some sort of "Conservation Day" event. Is this true? Are they really allowing mtn bike riding on the trails at Sterling Forest? Or is it just a one day thing. Also, anybody know who is sponsoring these bikes tours? Anybody have any info about the acceptability / legality of mtn biking at Sterling?.....I always thought it was off limits to mtn biking.

Although won't be around to ride on Sunday.....it would be very cool to be able to ride those trails if it is now legal.

VGT

I'm Idaho!
    Mar 2006
    Apparently the answer is yes. I got an email from the NY-NJ Trail Conference titled, "Sterling Forest Partnership Conservation Day". Among other items:

"two 15-mile bike tours of Sterling Forest. Register at 9 am and 1pm"

Rides start at 9:30 and 1:30.

vgt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by normZurawski
    Apparently the answer is yes. I got an email from the NY-NJ Trail Conference titled, "Sterling Forest Partnership Conservation Day". Among other items:

"two 15-mile bike tours of Sterling Forest. Register at 9 am and 1pm"

Rides start at 9:30 and 1:30.

Anybody know if it is a one day thing or are we allowed to now ride the trails at Sterling Forest? I had heard rumors that this area could be opened to mtn biking a while ago...but never heard anything more on the subject.

I doubt the NYNJ Trail conference is sponsoring rides...as they generally hate mountain bikers on the trails. Is a local club sponsoring the rides? Anybody out their know any more info on this? I tell you...riding those trails could be a really fun thing if it is legal going forward.

MERGS...you out there?? In reading your posts....you always seem to be the "guru" on these types of subjects.....do you have the pulse on these matters?

VGT

I'm Idaho!
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vgt
    I doubt the NYNJ Trail conference is sponsoring rides...as they generally hate mountain bikers on the trails.
    I was a little surprised to see it in the email, that they acknowledge bikes at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vgt
    I heard there are bike tours this Sunday at Sterling Forest...part of some sort of "Conservation Day" event. Is this true? Are they really allowing mtn bike riding on the trails at Sterling Forest? Or is it just a one day thing. Also, anybody know who is sponsoring these bikes tours? Anybody have any info about the acceptability / legality of mtn biking at Sterling?.....I always thought it was off limits to mtn biking.

Although won't be around to ride on Sunday.....it would be very cool to be able to ride those trails if it is now legal.

VGT

http://www.jorba.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=406

edit: I have been getting conflicting reports so sorry about the changing story here.... I just spoke to the ride leader and it will be woods roads (fire roads) not strictly pavement. if more experienced riders show up, he has a ride leader lined up to take folks on a longer dirt-only featuring some trails on the other side of 17A.

if you ride, walk or just hang... its fall foliage time up here, and its a beautiful area so it should be a nice time.

to answer another question from before, yes there is some legal mountain biking up there, but they tend to be woods roads. we're hoping for some more singletrack one day but its a work in progress. Art and Ellen of RVCC have been working with the park for years... its promising, but these things take time.
    Last edited by mergs; 10-12-2006 at 03:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    To the best of my knowledge, the bike tours this weekend at Sterling forest are road bike tours, led by one of the home owners up there. The park official is on vacation this week, so I do not know for sure.

Ellen

I'm Idaho!
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pixy
    To the best of my knowledge, the bike tours this weekend at Sterling forest are road bike tours, led by one of the home owners up there. The park official is on vacation this week, so I do not know for sure.

Ellen
    That would certainly be consistent with the NYNJTC advocating it.

Edit: From the email: "more info: 2O1 -848-1080 or 845-351-251O"

Comment of the edit: How odd is it that the first & last zeros in the phone numbers above are actually the letter O? This is copied & pasted from the email. Strange

mtbr member

Ellen
    I just confirmed that these are road rides throughout the park... I was holding off replying until I got a call back from the folks there (which just happened).

Its a beautiful area... and we're close to peak fall foliage so the scenery will be fantastic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Rides

Ellen
    So what are the White's doing this weekend??? Maybe doing a ride at Allamuchy??? Coem on down the weather is goingto be nice!!!

Bob W.

mtbr member

Better bring your road bike

Hey,

Just got off the phone with one of the contacts for the conservation day. Unfortunately, the ride is on the roads, not the trails. Surprise, surprise.

mtbr member
    Oy...

they're a little bit confused over there with their schedule.... I spoke to someone on the first phone number and she informed me it was roads. Then I spoke to Roger (who's leading the ride) on the second phone number, and he informed me the rides are on the "woods roads" and a little pavement. He also said that there is an optional loop across 17a that mtb'ers looking for more mileage can do.

If you're local, and you want to go for a mellow ride, or a hike, it might be worth a look-see, but I would not travel long distances looking for a super single track experience.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Singletrack

Yu mean there wont be miles upon miles of 6 inch wide signeltrack to ride???? I thought this might be nirvana, dam!

Bob W.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mergs
    Oy...

they're a little bit confused over there with their schedule.... I spoke to someone on the first phone number and she informed me it was roads. Then I spoke to Roger (who's leading the ride) on the second phone number, and he informed me the rides are on the "woods roads" and a little pavement. He also said that there is an optional loop across 17a that mtb'ers looking for more mileage can do.

If you're local, and you want to go for a mellow ride, or a hike, it might be worth a look-see, but I would not travel long distances looking for a super single track experience.

Thanks Mergs for staying on top of this. That is about what the TC and Roger told us too. I believe Roger only has a hybrid bike also. Either way, it looks like a nice weekend to get outside somewhere!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob W
    So what are the White's doing this weekend??? Maybe doing a ride at Allamuchy??? Coem on down the weather is goingto be nice!!!

Bob W.

Hey Bob W. -

Although I can not speak for the other half, my half of the White's is pretty done, done, done racing for the year. Just incase my mind said ok, my body has put up the stop, by getting me sick this week.

I am glad to see that the weather is looking like it may be good. You guys certainly deserve a break with the weather, and I hope the racers have great time out there !

If I don't see you Sunday, I will see you in a few weeks for sure.

Ellen