Thread: MT. Creek ?'s

eb5
    mtbr member

MT. Creek ?'s

I'm heading to down to Mt. Creek in a couple of weeks and I have a couple of questions for those that are familiar with park. How technical/exciting is the XC trail? And which weekend day is less crowded?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I pre-rode the XC course for this Sundays XC race and it was entertaining: tight twisty with some fun technical. It is mostly at the top of the mountain, so not a lot of long elevation changes, but plenty of short ups and downs. The loop was only 4-5 miles or so, but there are a bunch of work roads up there as well. I just did not explore the roads.

eb5
    mtbr member
    Thanks. We plan on hitting up both the XC trails and some of the DH stuff when we head down there. Looking forward to the trip.

mtbr member
    I do the DH only at Mountain Creek and recommend Sunday as the less crowded day of the weekend for the lifts. Are you planning on renting a DH bike? If you don't have a DH (or free ride --- do they still use that term?) renting is a great option to experience the mountain. My first trip there I brought a trail bike and left disappointed. I promptly built a park bike and it's been a blast ever since.

eb5
    mtbr member
    I was hoping to use my bike (Heckler) for both the XC &DH. This is my first time to bike park so I only planned on doing the easier DH courses. Do you recommend I rent a DH bike even for the easier courses?

mtbr member
    A heckler is a decent all-mountain bike and will survive the park. How is it setup, forks, tires, rims, etc? However, there is nothing like a 7+ or 8 inch travel bike with a slack head angle, 2.5 tires even on the more tame trails to roll over anything and bounce off rocks. Do you have a full face helmet and any armor/pads? They come with a bike rental if you don't or can be rented individually.

eb5
    mtbr member
    its stock Ram w/rs revalation 150mm, it's gone thru some smaller jumps/drops in our local trails here in CT so I'm sure it'll hold up on the lighter trials. Thanks for the info. The only thing I'll probably rent would be a full face helmet.

Redcoat
    Also I heard you can put your name down to buy one of the rentals at the end of the season. They are selling them off for $1000. the bikes im told are worth 5-6k.