mtbr member

Mountain Creek XC

Is the XC at Mtn Creek any good? Any other good XC close by?

Thanks!
    Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikestud
    Is the XC at Mtn Creek any good? Any other good XC close by?

Thanks!
    I don't know about Mtn Creek XC, but there is tons of great XC around -- check out www.mtbnj.com for locations and check out www.JORBA.org for more info on all the parks in the state.
    Last edited by Allamuchy Joe; 08-13-2007 at 05:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hi, I can give you no first hand experience to mountain creek XC, sorry. However, I did go up there to ride a couple of weeks ago to ride Diablo and talked to the locals about the XC, They said it really wasnt that good. If you take the lift up it is a trail on the backside of the mountain. They told me it was only a couple of miles and wasnt that good and I dont think it was that well maintained either. Plus I think you have to buy a pass to get up the lift to ride the XC and that doesnt seem worth it especially with Diablo right there which had some fun and scarey runs. Of course this is not a first hand account so dont take my word for it. One thing I can say is go to Diablo and talk to the guys there, everyone was extremely friendly and helpful all day. Shannon

Is flexy
    I've heard the mtn creek staff personally tell people the XC trails there aren't worth it and suggest they go to a state park while i was in the office there. And that is coming from the diablo staff who should be trying to take your money. They said they weren't well maintained and not too long so I would look somewhere else... plenty of good places to ride in that area.

mtbr member

I've actually ridden the Diablo XC Trails

It was two years ago and I was using a long travel hardtail for DH (Chameleon w/Pike and 2.5" Nevagals) so I decided to explore the XC trails while on top of the mountain. I had fun but, no, they are not all that long. I remember them being fairly technical and probably not suited for something like a lightweight XC hardtail but not unrideable by that type of bike either.

In the past you could buy a ticket for one ride up the mountain on the lift. I'm not sure that is still offered. One thing to be careful of is that you might end up riding all the way back to the base area. At least I did when I connected a number of XC trails, service roads and ski slopes. Not a problem for me since I had an all day ticket but a rude surprise if you planned riding XC all day on the one ride ticket I mentioned.

I can't tell you the condition of the trails this season but two seasons ago they were adequately maintained. Not up to county/state park standards but certainly not overgrown.

In the end, and I guess this says it best, after riding the XC I would not buy a lift ticket just to ride them since the park trails already mentioned are just as good or better. The XC trails at Diablo are a nice diversion if you are already there.
    REV

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Diablo Bike Park

I might as well put my first post here......

I went there a few months ago, theres a couple of loops around the lake on the backside of the mountain. In my opinion it wasn't really worth it, the trails were overgrown, not really maintained, , and it they were pretty short, wound up having to get off the bike just as much as riding. The trails tend to cross a couple of dirt service roads up there, so don't be surprised to suddenly find yourself out of the woods.

The good thing was when I went there, the girl at the Diablo counter gave me a comp. XC pass. The bad thing was I got done after the gondola was closed and had to ride down from the top (not an easy feat if you're on a XC bike with less than 4 in. of travel) . Made it down in one piece somehow.

mtbr member

Thanks all...

...for the replies. I think I'll stick to Wawayanda and maybe Stokes State Forest while I'm up there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Like has been said before, those trails haven;t been maintained in a long time and are overgrown.

Supposedly, there is some riding back there and you can get to the back of Mountain Creek from the Hamburg Mountain WMA entrance on rt 515.

I've lived right down the street for the last year and haven't gotten around to trying it yet, so if anyone does it before me, let me know how it is, lol

IMHO Wawayanda is much better XC riding than Hamburg mountain (behind MTN Creek), but if you're feeling frisky I've seen people on XC bikes climb to the top at Diablo and ride back down

mtbr member
    Hamburg Mt is not the best for riding the woods roads are either washed out or trees across. I would stick with Stokes and also try the Lusscroft trail system. I have been trying to put the word out for that. It is between Stokes and High point. The riding is true XC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowshoe
    Hamburg Mt is not the best for riding the woods roads are either washed out or trees across. I would stick with Stokes and also try the Lusscroft trail system. I have been trying to put the word out for that. It is between Stokes and High point. The riding is true XC.
    Hey,
    I'm definitely interested in checking out the Lusscroft trail system. Could you please provide me with a map or info? Luby1@optonline.net
    Thanks!