mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Middle chainring is Shot?

I have a Shimano XT crank with about 1200 miles on it.I use my middle chainring most of the time. Until recently about a few rides ago, whenever I would put torque load on the crank, The crank/tranny system would slip.I would then use the inner chainring using a similar gear ratio and put torque load and it doesn slip. Chain is about 500 miles old ok shape. Cog set is fine. Its recession coming and Im trying to save some dough. I thought of just replacing the mid chainring. Biggest bang for the buck tough chainring. What would you recommend?
    Go big JR

pedalhead
    Not an expensive fix at all. My old bike went through 3 middle chainrings without anything else in the crank/tranny system having problems. Your LBS can swap out just the middle chainring. I think with labor mine was less than $30.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

swap out the middle ring and see

Sounds like definitely time to replace the middle ring. Hopefully all is well after that, but with 500 on the chain there might be an issue there. If you start skipping like it's springtime, look to the chain/cog. Usually I try to replace the chain and cog if I swap a ring, but I let it go a loooooong time before I replace any of it.