Icebiker

May 19: Trail Maintenance Lewis Morris

Ok riders and hikers, the weather's been great, you've been enjoying the trails...now's the time to give back :-) Trail Maintenance this Saturday at Lewis Morris. Meet at Sunrise Lake boathouse at 8:15. All tools, gloves provided. Done by 11:30.

Also, for those interested in an early morning (e.g. 6:00!), pre-trail maintenance trail ride, let me know. If you're not an early bird, but want to ride anyway, bring your bike...there are usually a few volunteers looking to ride after the trail date.

Directions: Head west on Rt 124 from Morristown Green. After 3 miles, turn left into Lewis Morris, follow signs to Sunrise Lake.

In case of rain: Call 973-829-8256 at 7:00 am and listen to message. Trail date is ON unless message specifically states it is cancelled.

Look forward to seeing you on Saturday!

Greg Murray
    Morris Trails Partnership
    JORBA Lewis Morris

mtbr member
    I think the whole Lewis Morris Trail maintanence thing really needs to slow down. Its almost gotten to the point of overkill in there. The trails that have been created are good for a fast pace afterwork ride but its becomeing overkill now. I question how big the park is and the relevance of all of this. I'd really like to see some more maintanence in Allamuchy or even some new trails opened somewhere else.

mtbr member
    Greg, I was out of town this past weekend, what trails did you work on?

it's just baby phat..
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum1
    I think the whole Lewis Morris Trail maintanence thing really needs to slow down. Its almost gotten to the point of overkill in there. The trails that have been created are good for a fast pace afterwork ride but its becomeing overkill now. I question how big the park is and the relevance of all of this. I'd really like to see some more maintanence in Allamuchy or even some new trails opened somewhere else.
    Trail Maintanence Dates for Allamuchy:

May 13, Sunday
    June 16, Saturday
    July 14, Saturday
    Aug 11, Saturday
    Sept 15, Saturday
    Oct 20, Saturday

For more info please go to www.jorba.org

phat

Icebiker

Some clarification in order...

Quote Originally Posted by skibum1
    Skibum, comments are always welcome. However, it warrants clarifying a couple of things:

1) There are many older and wider trails in Lewis Morris that evolved from old woods roads that are simply unsustainable. They are fall line trails and/or have no reverse grades to slow the flow of water. In other cases, they run through low-lying areas that create ongoing mud problems. You can tell the problem trails immediately, they are the ones with either mud, or a sandy/gravelly texture with plenty of exposed stones/rubble/roots. The Park Commission, rightly so, wants to replace these trails with properly designed trails (all newer trail work is being done to IMBA standards) that require less to no maintenance. You'll note that even after our muddy spring, the newer built trails are solid as rock. The older woods roads have that much more rubble and erosion.

2) With respect to trail maintenance in general, note that these efforts are typically volunteer based. It's easiest to secure volunteers that are local to the park, so it's not a matter of redirecting Lewis Morris efforts to Allamuchy and other parks. Each park/JORBA chapter has its own program.

3) Back to Lewis Morris, note that we aren't aiming to cut trails for the sake of doing so, but to replace the unsustainable ones. Therefore, over time, you'll see the mileage of trails in the park will remain roughly the same, but be of better quality and require less ongoing maintenance. They'll also be narrow, twisty and MUCH more fun that the wider ones you see today.

4) on the subject of squeezing more trails in to a smaller place, I recommend you check out Cathedral Pines and Rocky Point in Long Island, to see what those CLIMB dudes managed to squeeze into a small space without making it feel like there are trails everywhere. Properly done, one can build an amazing amount of trails in small space and make it feel much larger than it really is.

Hope you can join us for a TM date soon.

Greg

Icebiker

A couple of sections

Quote Originally Posted by AndyE
    Greg, I was out of town this past weekend, what trails did you work on?
    Hey Andy, thanks for asking. We worked on two sections:

1) A new reroute of the red/orange trail. It will require 2-3 more sessions before it can be opened, but it will be a sweet flowing twisty section that will eventuall replace a horrible eroded woods road.

2) A new reroute of the green (hiking only) section near the collection pond near the pavillion.

Neither of these is open yet. Hope you can make it on one or more of the dates this year.

Greg

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hey bugeye,

Thanks for your hard work!