mtbr member

Looking for a place to ride Friday afternoon 7/18

I am heading through NJ on my way north Friday afternoon. I am leaving form the Baltimore area around noon on Friday. I want to hit some trails on my way through. I like everything from fast and flow to really chunky rocks. From the bit of research I have done Sourlands looks pretty good. Is it easy to navigate?
    Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Ghost Rider
    This might help you find some cool spots to ride: Trail Directory | Video Trail Reviews.Com

It's not a complete listing but it gives you some good options. For a full listing check out JORBA.org. JORBA Parks Map | JORBA - You Dig?

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Thanks. I will check them out tonight when I get home.

rzip
    Apr 2009
    To maximize your ride time, which highway will your drive through NJ be on? I can recommend a park near.

mtbr member
    95/287 I want to avoid driving in/through NYC.
    Based on that I think I have narrowed it down to either Allamuchy North or Ramapo Mountain. Of the two (or others in the area) which would you recommend?

rzip
    Apr 2009
    I am partial to Allamuchy because that is where I ride a lot. It would be about 25 minutes away from 287 because you would need to go 80 west. Ramapo would be just off of 287 but I do not know about the trails there.
    If you chose to go to Allamuchy , a good place to start for you would be to go 80 west to 517 north. Go less than a mile and look for a dirt road on the right. I believe there is a trail sign by the road. If you get to the farm stand on the right you have gone too far.
    Drive down the dirt road and there is a portajohn. Climb from there with your rock climbing bike tires. If you get a map from the JORBA.org website, the orange trail is a good warmup before the climb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziprace View Post
    I am partial to Allamuchy because that is where I ride a lot. It would be about 25 minutes away from 287 because you would need to go 80 west. Ramapo would be just off of 287 but I do not know about the trails there.
    If you chose to go to Allamuchy , a good place to start for you would be to go 80 west to 517 north. Go less than a mile and look for a dirt road on the right. I believe there is a trail sign by the road. If you get to the farm stand on the right you have gone too far.
    Drive down the dirt road and there is a portajohn. Climb from there with your rock climbing bike tires. If you get a map from the JORBA.org website, the orange trail is a good warmup before the climb.
    Thanks! I will check out Allamuchy. I like rocks I plan on using the JORBA map and an app called Maprika. It will show me where I am on the map. For the route what would you recommend? Orange to start, then climb white to green? Should I hit green? That way I can hit purple on the way back. Is it worth it to go out to red and yellow?
    Assuming I don't hit too much traffic I should be rolling by around 4:00 tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
    Thanks again for the advice.

mtbr member
    Zip is right on the money!! There is a small brown state park sign on the right approximately 1 mile from Rt 80. Just past the sign is the dirt road on the right that he was referencing. Maprika will be your best friend for many of the really fun stuff is unmarked. Climb away and enjoy the sweetness that Allamuhcy has to offer you. Unfortunately, I have plans or I would show you some of good stuff. Have fun!!
    Nothing really witty to say..........

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Looking forward to hitting Allamuchy in a few hours.

mtbr member
    I ended up riding Allamuchy. Great suggestion. I rode orange first. Then up white all the way up to green. I messed around a little on green since I was running out of time. I went back on white to purple, then finished up riding orange again. Really fun trail system. I was shocked that I was the only person out there on such a nice day. The only other person I saw while out there was some dude on a motorcycle, and I am guessing he shouldn't have been out.

mtbr member
    Captain....I'm glad you were able to make it out there. You were so close to some of the more sought after trails....next time!! I've been riding here for a number of years and rarely come across anyone other than guys on motos/quads, which are illegal. There are 2 other park systems within just a few miles from Allamuchy giving the area quite a bit of trails to ride.
    Nothing really witty to say..........