Get your popcorn ready!
    Jun 2008

Looking for Beginer Trails near Bergen County NJ

Howdy all,

I just got into mountain biking and bought a hard tail specialized mtb. I am trying to find some places near Bergen County where I can ride newbie trails lol, anybody know of any? (from what i have been hearing, the ringwood trail is very difficult for newbies)

mtbr member
    Jersey Off-Road Bicycle Association- Advocate, Educate and Conserve
    You Dig? WWW.JORBA.ORG

WWW.MTBNJ.COM

Get your popcorn ready!
    Jun 2008
    Yeah I already looked through there but I couldn't find anything that specifically said it was for beginners. I heard of the Ringwood trails but I have speculation to believe they may be difficult for a first timer.

cem
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ringwood does have beginner stuff, but you need to know where it is. Its a huge park and you can get lost very easily.

Not near Bergen county, but great places to start is: Allamuchy (Deer Park), Hartshorne (far), Chimney Rock, Kittatinny Valley State Park, Clayton (pretty far). You should be able to find some kind of map at the park or online.

Your best bet is to try and jump on some organized beginner rides, through different bike clubs or shops.

Good luck
    - cm

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Try Tourne or Lewis Morris (not in Bergen, but pretty close)...although I started at Ringwood a few months ago, after 15 years of non-biking. Ringwood is my favorite place in Bergen. You should try it first and then decide if it's too difficult for you. It's true that it's a huge park, and you'll get lost sooner or later, but is not that bad. A lot of people ride there so you should find someone to give you some directions...and there is a map on MTBNJ.com.
    You can find reviews for Tourne and Lewis Morris on MTBR.com as well.

Most important-get out there and ride!!!

mtbr member
    Tourne or Llewis Morris...definitely

cem
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    yup those are great places too