mtbr member

Lights for Allamuchy

this will be my first time riding the 24 hours of allamuchy and i was wondering what what kind of lights will be the best for the type of course we will be riding? any input is greatly appreciated. I don't have lights yet and the event is coming up soon.

Paul
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Lights

One of the more popular brands is Nite Rider, they are fairly bomb proof. You can get them from any of the local shps as well as on e-bay, if that is your thing. Also, in the past they have provided a cahrging sttion for the event, may be this year they will again.

I would say buy the brightest light in your price range and then a less expensive secondary light.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob W
    One of the more popular brands is Nite Rider, they are fairly bomb proof. You can get them from any of the local shps as well as on e-bay, if that is your thing. Also, in the past they have provided a cahrging sttion for the event, may be this year they will again.

I would say buy the brightest light in your price range and then a less expensive secondary light.
    I'd look into Light and Motion.

You can check here for a comparison of some different lights:
    http://eddys.com/page.cfm?pageid=493

If you go to nashbar today they'll give you 20% off. You'll just have to buy 4 other items.

mtbr member
    I know they are a sponsor and all but i would stay away from princeton tec lights. I had 2 yukon extreme and 4 sets(8-AA to a light) of brand new rechargeable batteries. I attempted to use a single headlamp in the early evening. Batteries began to die near the end of my lap which was more than 14 hours earlier than I had anticipated. Of course i didnt have the second light so I ended up having to walk the bike the last quarter of the race losing 30 min on the lap. Before my next lap I asked the guys at the princeton tec tent about it and they offered to let me use one of their lights(which was cool of them), thought it might have been the bulb. I took along my other second light that was fully charged knowing I was gonna need 2 sets of lights to get through the fog. While one lasted about an hour the other held on for another 20 min or so to get me back to my tent. Where I had to spend the next 6 hours waiting til it was night enough to get in some more laps. At that point it was pouring and I jsut couldnt warm up after all that down time.

As you can tell I still havnt gotten over the fact that months of training to win my age group and of all things my lights are what did me in. But i dont want others to make the same mistake I did.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

okay

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey_C
    I know they are a sponsor and all but i would stay away from princeton tec lights. I had 2 yukon extreme and 4 sets(8-AA to a light) of brand new rechargeable batteries. I attempted to use a single headlamp in the early evening. Batteries began to die near the end of my lap which was more than 14 hours earlier than I had anticipated. Of course i didnt have the second light so I ended up having to walk the bike the last quarter of the race losing 30 min on the lap. Before my next lap I asked the guys at the princeton tec tent about it and they offered to let me use one of their lights(which was cool of them), thought it might have been the bulb. I took along my other second light that was fully charged knowing I was gonna need 2 sets of lights to get through the fog. While one lasted about an hour the other held on for another 20 min or so to get me back to my tent. Where I had to spend the next 6 hours waiting til it was night enough to get in some more laps. At that point it was pouring and I jsut couldnt warm up after all that down time.

As you can tell I still havnt gotten over the fact that months of training to win my age group and of all things my lights are what did me in. But i dont want others to make the same mistake I did.
    "4 sets(8-AA to a light) of brand new rechargeable batteries." Sometimes these batteries need more than a few charges especially with rechargable batteries that are new. I have had great sucess with Princeton Tec lights and now have 2x Switchback 3 lights and a older Niterider HID.

Look for a light you can afford and will hold a general burn time you would anticipate riding...best case buy one good light and an extra battery and your set.

mtbr member
    I was thinking about the Switchback 3 because it looks like a real winner but a little on the expensive side. Thanks for the info I'll refer to it as I make my decision

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

yup

Quote Originally Posted by pdm362
    I was thinking about the Switchback 3 because it looks like a real winner but a little on the expensive side. Thanks for the info I'll refer to it as I make my decision
    the light on the Switchback 3 is more natural (if you will) than the HID super white/blue as I see it. The Switchback has a pivot for exact beam location and is a nicely made package...plus 2 hr charge. Not really that over priced if you look at other comparable lights but in general all light sets are WAY overpriced.

mtbr member
    I got an email recently saying that Princeton Tech will be renting light systems at the race but of course they have limited systems to rent. Contact them for more info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Sale

Colorado Cyclist just started a sale and have plenty in stock when I called alst night

Switchback 1,2,3 are all half price!!! It's listed on their flyer that came to my mail yesterday...don't see it posted on their website yet but call them.

I believe the Switchback 2 is $149
    Switchback 1 $109
    Switchback 3 $239??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bozizle
    Colorado Cyclist just started a sale and have plenty in stock when I called alst night

Switchback 1,2,3 are all half price!!! It's listed on their flyer that came to my mail yesterday...don't see it posted on their website yet but call them.

I believe the Switchback 2 is $149
    Switchback 1 $109
    Switchback 3 $239??
    oh man thats just in time. I'll give them a call today

mtbr member
    "4 sets(8-AA to a light) of brand new rechargeable batteries." Sometimes these batteries need more than a few charges especially with rechargable batteries that are new.
    To clarify, I cycled both sets of batteries twice -charged em, put them in light and left the light on til the batteries died.

I do recommend buying a light you can afford but just make sure its powerful enough so you can ride safely. There is a big difference between a light with enough power in the evening and one that you can use at 11pm. I learned that as last summer I commuted to work at all hours from 6:30am to 11:30pm

I personally like the idea of 2 seperate lights. Helmet mount so light follows your view plus handlebar as a flood to see what your rolling over.But thats just me

shut up and pedal
    Jan 2004
    I'm probably going to hear crap for this....

I've used both halogen& HID and the best lights for allamuchy are halogen type. They are the only ones that will cut through the fog and mist, And WE all know it rains there and turns to pea soup at night. Hid just seem to light up the fog just like high beams do on a car. If by some small chance it does not rain during the race....aww never mind!

Turbo-Cat makes a great halogen

mtbr member

Lights

The Princeton tech lights suck. Dont even waste your time with them. Yeah they sponsor the race but trust me trust me trust me, the burn time on those lights is extremely poor. Every single one of them. I've said it, others I ride with say the same thing about em. If you're into hiking, taking out the trash or walking the dog at night with a small headlamp fine, go buy one of their products from Campmor or somewhere. Better yet, stick with Petzl. For a 24 hours endurance mountain bike race, forget it. Stick with Niterider. Been around for years, quick charge, nuff said. I got stuck in last years mudslide at 2 am and my NEW Princeton tech light went ZAP about 5 miles into that friggin course. Sucked monkey balls let me tell you. So freakin pissed off last year about it I went to my tent, cracked open a beer and called it a night after that. Went online this Spring and upgraded to all new Niterider lights. Never been happier.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

agree to disagree

I have the complete opposite feeling about Princeton Tec and Niterider..I have both but the princeton tec has a better light with a wider beam and the light is completly adjustable. I have used niterider for 9 years and pretty much every light and I still have a HID but it's not adjustable and the light IMO is not as good but a bright bluish hue. Any one using a Lights in Motion?

mtbr member

Lights

The lights you need to get are made by Lupine. Go with the Edison 10. They're gonna cost you around $1400 but you'll never have to buy another set of lights again in your life and you'll also blind everyone out there so you'll probably win the race. Seriously, the Lupine lights are the best lights on the market today. Period. I like my Niterider lights buy I already have Lupine on my radar. My buddy from VT has the Edison 10 and swears by it. You get what you pay for.

mtbr member
    I have the complete opposite feeling about Princeton Tec and Niterider..I have both but the princeton tec has a better light with a wider beam and the light is completly adjustable. I have used niterider for 9 years and pretty much every light and I still have a HID but it's not adjustable and the light IMO is not as good but a bright bluish hue. Any one using a Lights in Motion?
    I run the light and montion solo logic and the Nmh HID. The solo logic is a 13 watt halogen and the other is a 13 watt HID. The halogen is a decent light that I have used alone. Last year I did the 24 with that alone on my bars and I was fine. I just did a night time trial a few weeks ago in PA and used the HID on my helmet as well and let me say damn!!! The combination was awesome. The HID is so bright I had no issues at all. I though the halogen was decent until I used the HID. What a difference. The HID throws a much purer white light that lights up everything. I've cycled them many times and they last as long as advertised and they charge up pretty quickly as well. I'm confident that these will help me get through the upcoming 24 with ease.

Make some music
    Sep 2004

Hid...

Turn nite into day... for real. You can never have enough light.

http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cf...gId=39&id=3858

Great light. Reliable, great burn time and price. I also have a Niterider Blowtorch for the bar.

If you can get a Light&Motion hid for a close price you'll have the option of bar or helmut (they give you both mounts).

IMHO, don't even fool around with the cheaper stuff. No matter who makes it.
    J.O.R.B.A. More than just tm. WWW.JORBA.ORG

hellrazor
    Nov 2004

lights

i am going to agree with skibum. i have had my lupine nightmare li-ion for about 4 years.
    never failed, easy mounting, and its the brightest light out there. if im on the ride the guy in front of me doesn't need his lights! its expensive (550$) but i should be good for a long time. the batteries are smart (you cant over , under charge them) and last for about 3000 cycles. buy it once and its no longer an issue. you can only get these lights online at gretnabike.com. c ya
    greg