Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Legislators target bikes with easy-release wheels

From
    http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../NEWS/70611009

Home News Tribune Online 06/11/07
    TRENTON, N.J. (AP) … Bicycles with quick-release wheels couldn't be sold in New Jersey under legislation approved Monday by the Assembly.

The bikes allow wheels to be removed without tools so they can be quickly secured with a chain lock or transported in vehicles, but lawmakers contend they're prone to accidents.

""The dangers surrounding the current models of quick-release bikes far outweigh any time saving benefits they may offer,'' said Assemblyman Paul Moriarty, D-Gloucester, a bill sponsor.

The bill was approved 77-3, but hasn't received Senate consideration.

Docs can be found here:
    http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2006/Bi...00/2686_I1.HTM
    http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2006/Bi...00/2686_R2.HTM
    http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2006/Bi...00/2686_S1.HTM
    2006 Specialized Rockhopper Comp

dontcha?
    wtf.. Has anybody actually hurt themselves/others by quick releases failing after being used properly?
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    NJ is totally crazy with these laws, starting mountain biking more often because motocross and offroad in the state are criminal acts at this point and now they start targeting specific bike wheels.

Ridiculous

Off soap box now.

mtbr member
    Based on the document dated March 6, 2006, the bill was amended to apply only to bikes equipped with wheels having a diameter or 20" or less. This would not affect mountain bikes & I have not seen any BMX or any 20" bike having QR's. So I guess we're all fine.

IMO, still stupid bill, though.

mtbr member
    This could be very dicriminatory towards short people and besides 1 of my favorite child hood memories was swapping front tires with my friend watching him pull a wheelie the tire doesn't stay on and he plants the forks deep into the lawn. ohh joy.I'm sure with quick releases this would have become a daily occurence.

Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Wooohooo

Wow important issues.....it all started with Florio and ever since this state has become dumber in the government, taxed more than practically every state, and nothing changes except we got EZ Pass....and this is a legit agenda for them????!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    When this came up last year the bill only covered bikes with wheels 20" and below. Isn't that still the case?

lotto baby
    man this state just makes me want to move away more and more each day.

massive budget problems, beat up roads, corruption, sky-high property taxes... and they waste their time on bike wheels

hunterdon county banning bouldering/rock climbing and now this garbage - gheeze

can we put together a piece of legislation that bans quick-to-speak politicians under 80 inches?
    i spurt in the wind, and the wind drug it

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've got to get out of this ridiculous state.

Possibly this ridiculous country...

BC is looking better every day, if I could find work I'd be sooo gone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Thanks

Oh yeah don't forget when Corzine shut down the state parks and other functions so we could get a 1% sales tax hike this past year for budget....and for some reason every election the state of NJ elects Democrat reps who do the same thing and screw everyone...don't forget McGreevy who taxed new tires, more cell phone tax, oh and cheated on his wife so he could stick it in a hairy man hole....probably the most embarassing political figure the stae has seen.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    wow. only in new jersey.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    So they are saying that playing lawn darts while riding a bike with 16", quick release wheels is a bad idea?

FIX IT YOURSELF

2 Cents

Indeed this really sucks my left one but why is it we find it hard to leave Jerz if it's so bad.....Let me guess we're all stuck here because of our jobs....You all know the people responsible for passing this poo don't have a clue.....So for all of you who hate Jerz and have nothing positive to say....When are you leading the troops down to Trenton to protest....Never...I love New Jersey and I'm sure from a Mountain Bike perspective there are plenty of other states that are better riding....Stop all the complaining and enjoy the diversity New Jersey gives us....I'm sure there are some of you with deeper roots than myself and aren't happy how the state has progressed....TOO BAD and good luck returning it to the state it was when we were growing up....Enjoy it for what it's become and blame your ancestors for planting there seed here...For the ones who don't have roots here...Welcome to New jersey and we love having you but if you don't like it here...Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya....BTW did I mention that the government in New Jersey can be a little off....I'm sure it's not the only state government with issues...PLEASE in typical Jersey style don't let this stop you from bashing the state and everthing you think is wrong but can't fix...WHAT HOKIE POLITICIANS THERE ARE OUT THERE ESPECIALLY IN NEW JERSEY
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That's why they added "lawyer tabs" years ago. Even if the QR inadvertantly opens the wheel can't come off - I've done that. Now if you have forgotten to tighten skewer enough then yer screwed but that is what the Darwin Awards are for!

mtbr member
    Smart progressive people, potential to make good money, decent mountain biking . . .I like it here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer the kalmyk
    Indeed this really sucks my left one but why is it we find it hard to leave Jerz if it's so bad.....Let me guess we're all stuck here because of our jobs....You all know the people responsible for passing this poo don't have a clue.....So for all of you who hate Jerz and have nothing positive to say....When are you leading the troops down to Trenton to protest....Never...I love New Jersey and I'm sure from a Mountain Bike perspective there are plenty of other states that are better riding....Stop all the complaining and enjoy the diversity New Jersey gives us....I'm sure there are some of you with deeper roots than myself and aren't happy how the state has progressed....TOO BAD and good luck returning it to the state it was when we were growing up....Enjoy it for what it's become and blame your ancestors for planting there seed here...For the ones who don't have roots here...Welcome to New jersey and we love having you but if you don't like it here...Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya....BTW did I mention that the government in New Jersey can be a little off....I'm sure it's not the only state government with issues...PLEASE in typical Jersey style don't let this stop you from bashing the state and everthing you think is wrong but can't fix...WHAT HOKIE POLITICIANS THERE ARE OUT THERE ESPECIALLY IN NEW JERSEY

What's your favorite part?

The urban sprawl, the traffic jams, the high taxes, the outrageous insurance rates, the pollution?

Sure there are still some nice parts, but NJ is going downhill and is becoming less and less like the place I grew up in, one condo development, Mc-mansion, Walmart and Home Depot at a time.

As for the state govenernment, NJ has had the most corrupt state government (and that's saying something) in the country for long before I was born, so that's nothing new.

Mostly what bothers me, is we are paying more for everything and getting less quality of life, in good conscience I can;t hang arounf here forever.

I'll try to avoid the door hitting my rear on the way out, it's still sore from Trenton's last rape of the taxpayers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmysDad
    "
    "The dangers surrounding the current models of quick-release bikes far outweigh any time saving benefits they may offer,'' said Assemblyman Paul Moriarty, D-Gloucester, a bill sponsor.
    The [SIZE="4"]D[/SIZE] displayed after his name says it all. The Nanny State knows best because individual responsibility is dead. Forget the increased costs and limited selection associated with purchasing a special bike fork that no one else in the country requires. How long until they outlaw mountain biking as too dangerous?

I'm not surprised -- the govenor gets hurt bad because he didn't have a seatbelt on -- the response to that was to raise cash by aggressively enforcing the seatbelt law with the "click-it or ticket" campaign. I wonder if they will have a "quick-it and ticket" law for the bikes now to get some more cash in the coffers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutch
    When this came up last year the bill only covered bikes with wheels 20" and below. Isn't that still the case?

The first document in Emmysdad's posting only stated "bicycles that can be used by children" -- how old a child is was vague. The second document more clearly defined it as bikes with 20" or smaller wheels.

However, if you decide to give a bike to a kid that has a quick release mechanism, you can be subject to a $10,000 fine.

FIX IT YOURSELF
    Quote Originally Posted by NJMX835
    What's your favorite part?

The urban sprawl, the traffic jams, the high taxes, the outrageous insurance rates, the pollution?

Sure there are still some nice parts, but NJ is going downhill and is becoming less and less like the place I grew up in, one condo development, Mc-mansion, Walmart and Home Depot at a time.

As for the state govenernment, NJ has had the most corrupt state government (and that's saying something) in the country for long before I was born, so that's nothing new.

Mostly what bothers me, is we are paying more for everything and getting less quality of life, in good conscience I can;t hang arounf here forever.

I'll try to avoid the door hitting my rear on the way out, it's still sore from Trenton's last rape of the taxpayers.
    Everything your saying is right on point....I too pay taxes like yourself on more than one residential home and four commercial properties so I definetely feel your pain....My favorite part of NJ is definetely my roots and my family...Corrupted government before you were born...Refer to the ancestrial piece in my first post...I'm quite busy and work on a tight schedule so please pm me a month in advance for an extra hand helping you move...I don't have the solution to this problem because if I did you would know me or perhaps vote for me...I really love your energy and fighting spirit...Are you talking to someone on this thread that can make a difference ....Good luck with your fight to fix the tax situation I would really love to benefit from that...A question I have for you is "Are you fighting or complaining?"....Don't take to many hits in the arse...I don't think that would feel to good

Spencer

PM me anytime you want to ride
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

JORBA

No good Update

The Quick release bill is rearing its ugly head again. This bill is being proposed to make it illegal to sell a bicycle with a quick release. This was originally supposed to be for 20" wheels or less. But now it will include all bicycles.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2006/Bi...00/2686_S2.HTM

-note that its passed Assembly and its in the Commerce Committee in
    the state senate as of yesterday. We ask all riders to contact their
    state senators.
    Here are the municipalities in case you are not sure of yours:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/distric...cipalities.asp

List of senators by district:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/roster.asp

And finally since the bill is in committee contact the chairperson
    of the "commerce committee":

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/committees/senate.asp

WE MUST BE OUR OWN BEST DEFENSE.CONTACT your NJ State Legislator NOW
    Frank Harms
    JORBA President
    frank at jorba.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Call 'em !!

Hello All,

This morning, I called the offices of all of the listed sponsors of this bill. They are as follows, along with their phone numbers:

Assemblyman Bramnick – Phone # 908-232-3673 – I spoke with aid Scott Mersereau.
    Assemblyman Gusciora - Phone # 609-292-0500 – I left a message on the voice mail of his aid Michael to please call me back.
    Assemblywoman Voss – Phone # 201-346-6400 – I spoke with aid Reisetta Dunn.
    Assemblyman Mayer – Phone # 856-227-5900 – I spoke with aid Ethan Hasbrouck.
    Assemblyman Moriarty – Phone # 856-232-6700 – I left a message for aid Matt Weng. He called me back within 10 minutes.

Basically, I pointed out that there may have been a “typo” with the second reprint. In section 2 of the bill, they describe that ”It shall be unlawful for any person to sell a bicycle intended for use by children with a front wheel diameter of 20 inches or less which is equipped with a quick release wheel, exclusive of specialty adult bicycles”.

A paragraph later, they state that “ It shall be unlawful practice for any person to sell a bicycle which is equipped with a quick release wheel if:

(a) the front wheel diameter is greater than 20 inches: or
    (b) it is a specialty adult bicycle with a front wheel diameter of 20 inches or less.”

It also states later in the paragraph that “The sale of a bicycle which meets the following conditions shall not be considered an unlawful practice under paragraph (1) of this subsection:

(a) The quick release wheel is equipped with both a primary and a secondary retention device: and
    (b) The secondary retention device conforms to the following performance specification:
    (i) The secondary retention device activates automatically when the wheel is placed in the fork dropouts;”

I explained to Mr. Weng that there are 2 main problems that basically make 95% of ALL bikes unsellable. First, most adult bicycles, which have wheels over 20” in size, have QR wheels front and rear. There are no “tabs” or secondary retention device on the rear of bicycles to speak of. Secondly, the front fork secondary retention devices do not “automatically” activate when the wheel is put into the fork. In fact, I explained that the technology does not readily exist for this.

I asked Mr. Weng if they were basically trying to follow federal guidelines, and he said yes, that was why they added the line about the “greater than 20 inches” for the wheels. In fact, this was no typo at all, they actually changed it to that so as to include all bikes with QR’s to have secondary retention devices. I also explained that the bill is unnecessarily vague and that they should simply refer to and include the federally mandated standards as the point of reference for this bill, which is already being followed by most bicycle manufacturers in the industry already. He noted my concerns, and will pass along the info to Assemblyman Moriarty. He stated that it still needs to go the Senate for hearings, and that is where any changes would need to be made at this point.

Please pass long the phone numbers to whomever you could think of and have them call the offices and reinforce our concerns.

Marc Cianfrone
    Bicycle Department Manager
    Efinger Sporting Goods

www.jorba.org
    Outstanding Marc!

You're right, its the details that the legislators are missing, and the fact that the sponsors of the bill apparently do not own a bike (anyone who owns a bike or two would understand this). Here's a crosspost I made from another forum:

Will the bill if it passes the Senate ban the sale of bikes? Yes, technically speaking it will ban the sale. This is due to the amendment in Paul Moriarty's Assembly bill that states:

At the sponsor's request, the committee amended the bill to make the sale of any type of bicycle equipped with a quick release wheel an unlawful practice, unless:

· the bicycle is equipped with both, a primary and secondary retention device, and

· the secondary retention device meets certain standards designed to prevent the accidental separation of the wheel from the bicycle fork.

You might be thinking that the tabbed tips on the fork are a secondary device. Apprently not (read paragraph 1):

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/bicyc..._id=1003599447

So, the message that you should telling your state Senators is that this bill, as written, could ban the sale of mountain bikes within the state of NJ. I trust that Mr. Moriarty has good intentions when it comes to childrens bikes, indeed, its one thing to require bolt-on wheels for childrens bikes, but an adult is capable of safely operating a quick release with 15 seconds of instruction or less. QR's are strong, safe and tool free, and I don't want to start carrying a crescent wrench into the woods when I need to change a flat.

In my opinion, the legislators simply don't know any better. Its time to educate them.

Thanks to everyone who contacts thier state Senator in opposition to this bill.

p.s. Fox is coming out with Quick Release for their "36". The Pike already has one. This bill would make that fork illegal in NJ.
    With that said, what can everyone do?

As Marc notes above, the bill is now in the state Senate, specifically on the agenda of the Commerce Committee. To contact your Senator use the links below.

Here are the municipalities and districts in case you are not sure of yours:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/distric...cipalities.asp

List of senators by district:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/roster.asp

And finally since the bill is in committee contact the chairperson
    of the "commerce committee":

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/committees/senate.asp

www.JORBA.org - You Dig?
    What would we do without trails? www.IMBA.com

lotto baby

we all gotta chip in on this one

i shot a couple emails off a few days ago when i first saw this thread, but i just left a voicemail at all the above numbers. thanks marc and mergs for the listing/links. i hope our action helps start up a dialogue. any plans for an 'official' jorba representation?

i feel like my sierra club membership letter writing skills will be put to good use for this issue. first park funding support letters and phone calls, then clean beaches in NJ letters and phone calls, then trying to stop development around wetlands in NJ letters and phone calls, now this!!! this is becoming a full time job!!!
    i spurt in the wind, and the wind drug it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anshwa
    Based on the document dated March 6, 2006, the bill was amended to apply only to bikes equipped with wheels having a diameter or 20" or less. This would not affect mountain bikes & I have not seen any BMX or any 20" bike having QR's. So I guess we're all fine.

IMO, still stupid bill, though.
    But it will affect some recumbents, which will make it more difficult to change flats- anything to discourage riding, I guess. I wonder which car company is the bill's author's biggest supporter?
    To the troll mobile, away...

WooHoo Biking!!!!
    I forwarded the following e-mail to Senator Lesniak:
    "This bill addresses the sale of quick release bicycle wheels. I can understand trying to legislate safety devices for children, but adults do not need all of these nanny laws. There are many other problems in New Jersey that need addressing, please focus your time on property taxes, insurance, and other pressing issues rather than trying to legislate every nuance of our lives. Please vote this bill down. Please feel free to view others thoughts at: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=307709"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast