mtbr member

Labor Day weekend advice coming from Va

I am going to be in Pennington Friday through Monday and have the unofficial official word that I can get out for a ride if I can find some place.... So I need some help! I have been scouring the trail reviews. Let me say that the only other time I have been to NJ with my bike I hit Mercer County Park. While I was plenty happy to be out riding and not at my in-laws I would prefer something else.

I have come up with a couple options and after just a quick look through it seems that all of these are between 50 and 70 miles away. Much further than that is just to far and nothing worth riding seems closer.

They are in no order of preference:
    Allaire State Park
    Allemuchy/Deer Park (not sure on this but they seem to be close together)
    Chimney Rock
    Jacobsburg State Park in Pa.

I am riding a steel indie fab hard tail. looking for xc stuff probably can only get in between 1 and 2 hours. shorter than an hour not enough longer than two and I am gone to long considering I am looking at an hour plus drive.

Any thoughts would be great... oh yeah I will just add I have ridden quite a bit in Ohio where I grew up, Colorado where I lived a bit and now in Va where it seems to me the riding is kind of similar to NJ riding.

mtbr member
    The one thing i really like about Chimney rock is you are always close to the central lot. The loops mainly begin and end there. So you are often in a position to make a decision of whether it is time to leave or do one more loop. The place is great for 1-2 hr post work rides for that reason. It is also hard to get lost with the map and all. Kittatiny is pretty similiar in that regard.

Having said that neither are true examples of NJ's best riding, but they are fun. My suggestion comes mainly from you lack of time available to ride.

mtbr member

What would you say are true example of NJ riding?

And where can I get that. I wish I had more time and I might be able to squeeze some more. I have not yet laid out any ideas for what I want to do. It is the drive time that is the problem!

mtbr member
    Don't get me wrong they are both good examples of NJ terrain, and are both good fun, they just aren't the best trails. I'll send you a PM with some info i've sent a friend in the past.

www.mtbnj.com
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by minor swing
    I am going to be in Pennington Friday through Monday and have the unofficial official word that I can get out for a ride if I can find some place.... So I need some help! I have been scouring the trail reviews. Let me say that the only other time I have been to NJ with my bike I hit Mercer County Park. While I was plenty happy to be out riding and not at my in-laws I would prefer something else.

I have come up with a couple options and after just a quick look through it seems that all of these are between 50 and 70 miles away. Much further than that is just to far and nothing worth riding seems closer.

They are in no order of preference:
    Allaire State Park
    Allemuchy/Deer Park (not sure on this but they seem to be close together)
    Chimney Rock
    Jacobsburg State Park in Pa.

I am riding a steel indie fab hard tail. looking for xc stuff probably can only get in between 1 and 2 hours. shorter than an hour not enough longer than two and I am gone to long considering I am looking at an hour plus drive.

Any thoughts would be great... oh yeah I will just add I have ridden quite a bit in Ohio where I grew up, Colorado where I lived a bit and now in Va where it seems to me the riding is kind of similar to NJ riding.
    you may not want to join another board, but try to work your way over to www.mtbnj.com.

the trail directory will link you to driving directions for the parks you mentioned, with the exception of Jacobsburg. However, I think Sparta Brad has a review of those trails somewhere in there. You will also find trail descriptions, recommended loops, maps and even some GPS info., as well.

lotto baby
    don't forget the sourlands - the one off of east mtn rd (not the one in hunterdon cty). if you are going to travel to CR, i would give the sourlands a shot - its closer. i used to live in flemington, the drive won't be too bad - just shoot up 31 North, take a right on 514, bang a right on east mtn and the park is on your right after a couple miles.

it's really technical at the sourlands - good fun tho - and i ride a steel HT (29er).
    i spurt in the wind, and the wind drug it

mtbr member
    is there a easy to navigate loop in sourlands? is the type of place where the good stuff is hidden? how much of it is cool vs fireroad type riding?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    whats your riding level?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Try Wissihickon in PA

Hi there...I live in PA just o'er the DE river, but work in Princeton (recently moved up here from northern VA myself). To be honest, I do not have a ton of experience with the NJ mtb biking scene, but I often ride at Wissihickon down in Philly which may suit you given your time constraints (check recent BIKE mag for some hype). Anyway, I ride there at night sometimes and leave right from work in Princeton, and am sitting at the "Valley Green" parking area in about 45-50 minutes (thats between 5pm and 6pm on weeknight--you can probably do better early on a Sat/Sun). There are a bunch of online resources available and you should be able to piece together a solid 2 hour loop out there.

It is a nice combination of terrain with rocks and roots along with nice flowy singletrack. Just about any kind of bike will do there save a 7+ travel bike (no need really).

You might also consider Round Valley Park in NJ, though I am not super familiar with it...
    Good luck...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jomissa
    whats your riding level?
    My riding level is I will ride pretty much anything outside of stunts.. no freeriding here. Been riding since '87 plus dirtbikes so I can handle most all terrain.

Thanks for the extra couple of notions I will check them out

lotto baby
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian
    is there a easy to navigate loop in sourlands? is the type of place where the good stuff is hidden? how much of it is cool vs fireroad type riding?

i'd say its a pretty easy loop to follow. it's not very big - and nothing is hidden (probably a 5 mile loop or so - but unless you can polish the park your first time, it'll take longer than you think). i usually ride the park in a clockwise direction. they have maps available at the park kiosk in the parking lot. there's no fireroad at all. at the lower sections, its mainly typical singletrack for jersey, rocks, roots, & logs. once you start climbing up a bit, it gets a little more interesting. when you reach the top, it's just rock garden after rock garden - and some of the rocks you end up rolling over i used to rock climb on (so they can get big!). there are stunts/drops, but those are all optional. it's all singletrack, and it can get really technical in spots. make sure you have a bash ring - it'll make life easier on you. there's a great downhill coming out of the park on the loop - its the 'newest' blaze put in (called the 'mountain bike trail') it's good fun.

lotto baby
    Quote Originally Posted by beesee
    Hi there...I live in PA just o'er the DE river, but work in Princeton (recently moved up here from northern VA myself). To be honest, I do not have a ton of experience with the NJ mtb biking scene, but I often ride at Wissihickon down in Philly which may suit you given your time constraints (check recent BIKE mag for some hype). Anyway, I ride there at night sometimes and leave right from work in Princeton, and am sitting at the "Valley Green" parking area in about 45-50 minutes (thats between 5pm and 6pm on weeknight--you can probably do better early on a Sat/Sun). There are a bunch of online resources available and you should be able to piece together a solid 2 hour loop out there.

It is a nice combination of terrain with rocks and roots along with nice flowy singletrack. Just about any kind of bike will do there save a 7+ travel bike (no need really).

You might also consider Round Valley Park in NJ, though I am not super familiar with it...
    Good luck...
    both great recommendations as well. valley green is good fun, and round valley can dish out the good stuff as well, and is also pretty close to pennington

mtbr member
    If you do choose to ride @ Valley Grn. on a Sat/Sun I would be there before 9a.m. The volume of traffic on the trails can get pretty busy pretty quick. Don't let that discourage you though. V.G. has a lot to offer. I live in Charlotte,NC now, but, V.G. is honestly the first place I would ride if coming back to the area. As a farewell ride before moving away, I rode the entire park singlespeed(34/16). Anyway, enjoy your riding where ever you end up.
    Dude,Man,Guy...Did you see that?

mtbr member

tHanks you guys...

Believe it or not I ended up going to Six Mile. It was such an easy drive over that I decided to hit it up Saturday morning. Nice trail.. plenty of fun. Did not find eveything the first day so (and since it was so close) I hit it up again on Sunday morning again and managed to cover most of it. Loved the tight woods section and the bridge made with the small cut trees. Thanks for the advice and nice trail guys.