Thread: Jungle Habitat

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Jungle Habitat

where do the trails start? from what i hear they are just to the left past the main gate no? going there Sunday morning around 930-10.

mtbr member
    a map is being worked on and will be available fairly soon. meantime...

park at the end of airport road at the main gate. ride into the pedestrian entrance on the far left and ride about 100 feet, then make a left turn into the opening in the gate (btw, a kiosk is being installed at this point on sep 9th, which should have a map). make a quick rt into the "animal shute trail" climb all the way to the top. hit the pavement and you'll see the old parking lot. bear to the right, hugging the perimeter of the lot and as the road rises keep an eye out for the second new trail called "warthog" on the right. entrance is not obvious but not hidden either. take that all the way around the parking lot and it will dump you about 2 miles later into the old ped area that was called "jungle junction". look around, explore have fun.

look for the tunnels, these will be used as part of the race.

we only have about 3 miles of new st, but more is being flagged as we speak and should be double or triple that if all goes well by next season.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

cool map

thank you.

anyone else want to come along and 'explore'? are the trails pretty obvious?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Jungle Habitat?

Where is this? Haven't heard of this one??

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Its by the Greenwood Lake Airport. about 15min past Ringwood.

w3rd.
    The race is going to be awesome! So much better than the Hidden Valley race

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Potential....maybe a 24hr?

This place has tons of it. The tight singletrack that goes the perimeter of the parking lots was so much fun. PLus the old remnents of the old structures make it thrilling too! We ran into one of the persons that is responsible for making and maintaining the trails yesterday and he gave me some insight as to how the race route is going to be. This place would be great for a 24 hour. The spookiness of the place would just be amplified at night. Plus the HUGE parking lots would make it great for pits and parking. This place even has tunnels!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I definitely had a lot of fun riding there yesterday with Lawndart, and the possibilities for that place are endless. I was a little rough because I have been doing a lot of road riding this year, but the place was a lot of fun and I hope to hit it again soon.

mtbr member
    its funny how the habitat is right behind my house. i need to get back there on my XC bike.
    I like to ride bikes fast.

dontcha?
    dope, any possibility of ladder bridges and freeride-esque trails being built there or is that out of the question?
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

danger! danger!
    Some pix...great work by the RVCC/JORBA and the individuals responsible for these great tight and twisty trails...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseyjoey
    Some pix...great work by the RVCC/JORBA and the individuals responsible for these great tight and twisty trails...
    nice pics... that area is below the lots and is seasonably wet (all that runoff from the lot) so we armored the hell out it. probably nice and dry right now tho.

mtbr member

Gps ?

Has anyone mapped this out on GPS yet ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by captain spaulding
    dope, any possibility of ladder bridges and freeride-esque trails being built there or is that out of the question?
    I definitely think it's possible there.

mtbr member
    Goto http://rideyourbike.us/links.htm
    And Look for GPS Ride Links I have the Practice and Race Loop GPS there. You can print a Topo Map or Open in Google Earth If you have a forerunner or Edge you can upload the course to that as well

mtbr member

Rumble in the Jungle

Check out some pictures and Info From the Rumble in the Jungle
    http://rideyourbike.us/2007_09_23_clubmtb_archive.html

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! A Big Thanks

To all:

We hit the Race! What a blast, tight, rocky, tech trails that never give up anything, I noticed all the work that went into that place.

Thanks to IMBA, JORBA and all who worked so hard to make it GREAT!

Hats off to you!....GREAT JOB!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The trail network is awesome. I didn't participate in the race, but went the day before to check it out, since I was hearing such great things. Lots of work went into it, and it's fantastic. Tight, twisty singletrack, definately keeps you on your toes.
    [SIZE="1"]We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.[/SIZE]

www.mtbnj.com

mtbr member
    Anyone have a map? For some reason I can't open some of the GPS maps posted here and elsewhere. How about a .pdf? Thanks.

danger! danger!
    Quote Originally Posted by supermike
    Anyone have a map? For some reason I can't open some of the GPS maps posted here and elsewhere. How about a .pdf? Thanks.
    There are no trail maps per se, Mike (and some idiot broke the glass at the kiosk by the trailhead and made off with the park layout). Can't you wait until NEXT Saturday when I'm leading a ride there?

If not, here goes, but don't blame me if you get lost:

>about 200 ft. past front gate enter by wooden kiosk (note broken glass) on left, then make immediate right off pavement into woods.

>follow switchbacks (singletrack) in a generally uphill direction until you come out to a paved road.

>make right, then left in about 100ft. follow perimeter of parking lot

>make left away from lot still on pavement slightly uphill, make another left in about 200 ft. then a sharp right (you'll be on dirt for about 20 ft.)

>still on about a 15foot wide paved foot path and still slightly uphill, enter a wooden archway on the right which begins the second section of singletrack (now the real fun begins!) which more or less runs along the perimeter of a parking lot.

>after I guess about 2 miles of nothing but narrow singletrack and very ridable rock gardens (again, more kudos to the RVCC & Jorba) the trail will spit you back out to another parking lot (at this point you should have a wide grin on your sweaty mug).
    If you look to your left, you'll see where you originally popped out of the first piece of singletrack a short while ago, but DON'T go left. Go straight for about 300 feet making a left in a wide break in the tree-lined boundary; then pass through another parking lot and you'll see a pair of narrow tunnels.

>you'll pass a dilapidated ticket booth(?) immediately on the left and proceed on a piece of asphalt on a gentle uphill. The paved footpath flattens out a bit and then decends for a bit, make a right, pay attention because this piece is a bit overgrown. Try to keep up your momentum because you'll soon come upon a rocky piece of trail covered in railroad-like gravel and will need alot of speed to get up a piece of broken sidewalk (difficult to describe; you'll know it when you see it).

>proceeding straight and slightly downhill you'll stumble upon what looks like a large, dried stream bed (hint: the best line is on the right!) chock full of sizable rocks.

>go straight on a very narrow path (slightly wider than your front tire) and make a right onto the paved path.

>from this point for the 3/4 of a mile or so you'll ascend on fairly wide pavement, not very steep but you'll know you're climbing. To your left you'll be able to see the horizon and the remnants of a wooden fence, to the right only woods where near the apex of the paved road you'll make a right onto a dirt fireroad, all the while still climbing as the route at this point gets slightly steeper (wouldn't cha know it). When the trail finally flattens out, look up and you'll see an old cyclone fence gate, slightly ajar, and to the right of the gate an old red thermal cooler (yes, you read correctly). Veer slightly right and follow the singletrack through the two water tanks, bear left on the jeep road, then right (there's that gate again) proceeding somewhat steeply uphill.

>the trail gets very rocky at this point, very reminiscent of some of the highest point at Wawayanda (which of course would stand to reason being Waway's only a few miles away) and one of the 'secrets' at RW. The cyclone fence should be on your left only about 15 ft away. You're going to descend very rapidly now so get that butt off the seat!

>look for a break in the fenceline on the left and take it, following the (oxymoron alert) wide singletrack until you'll shortly come out to more pavement where you'll make a right downhill, followed by a sharp left (don't go too fast or you'll miss it)

>deceptively uphill singletrack which veers left and begins a really nice piece of trail. Don't slow down too much; you'll have to carry mucho momentum to get over that second boulder, dude!

>come out to pavement, then descend again.

>make right when you come out to the pavement, and then (and someone enlightened me just last week about this) on the right, steeply uphill, there's some singletrack.

>at about 11:00 from where you exited that last piece of singletrack, proceed down this narrow bit of asphalt until you see what looks like a square manhole cover, its' borders sprayed day-glo green. Go briefly and at first, steeply downhill. The trail will flatten out a bit; you'll bear left through a hole in the fence and be deposited on a paved road where you'll proceed left.

>follow the paved road for about 1/2 a mile untill you'll espy on your right a steeply graded paved pathway. Take it and climb. Recognize where you are now? See your car on your right? Congrats! You just completed the Jungle Hab trails!

Hope this helps, Mike!

mtbr member
    Wow, thanks for the info, Joe. I was thinking about possibly hitting it this afternoon. I'm not all that concerned with getting "lost," per se. "Lost" is a relative term- are we ever truely lost? I just like maps.

That being said, I'll plan on being at your ride next weekend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    i cant wait till my new bike is built up. The wait is intense! Wonder how this place will be in the winter time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawndart
    i cant wait till my new bike is built up. The wait is intense!
    You ride mountain bikes?

Ha ha. Last race of the year is this weekend pal, after that it's just fun singletrack time. Stewart, LM, JH, Ringwood. Can't wait to see that beautiful motolite smashing through rocks and trees.

See you Sunday -

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    we plan on being there. I just hope my fork comes this week so i can have something to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-XC-Justin
    You ride mountain bikes?

Ha ha. Last race of the year is this weekend pal, after that it's just fun singletrack time. Stewart, LM, JH, Ringwood. Can't wait to see that beautiful motolite smashing through rocks and trees.

See you Sunday -
    I hear Stewarts is closed cause its now considered hunting season, i could be wrong.....got to get some lights my man. Its night riding time!