mtbr member

JORBAfest Ride Descriptions

Here is a description of the ride levels at JORBA Fest...

Ride Descriptions:

*BEGINNER:* Beginner Rides will be held at the Stephens area of Allamuchy. These trails are for the most part smooth with the occasional rocky sections and several short mildly technical ascents and descents. Advanced bike handling skills are not required and your level of fitness does not have to be high although some base fitness is helpful. Slope gradient is beginner, friendly and there will be frequent stops. Expect about 2.5-2 hours for 4 miles of riding. If you have been riding for less than 6 months this is probably where you want to be.

*INTERMEDIATE:* The Intermediate Ride will be held in the Stephens (morning ride) and Deer Park (afternoon ride) section. Expect long climbs at a casual, conversational pace. Descending skills are very helpful but if you’ve been on the bike for over a year then you should be able to handle this ride without too much strain. Rocky, technical sections may be encountered where you’ll be encouraged to re-do until you successfully clean the section. There will be frequent stops but kept to less than 5 minutes each. Expect to cover about 7 miles in about 3hrs.

*ADVANCED:* The advanced ride (including the women’s) will be held at the North Section of the Park. The experienced rider with a strong base fitness level and reasonable technical skills will absolutely love this ride. Expect grueling, long, steep, rocky climbs with twisty downhill sections that will test your bike handling skills. Being an advanced ride, the pace will be strong but keep in mind that what makes this ride “advanced” is the terrain and technical challenge that it presents, having fitness will just help you enjoy it all the more. Stops will be limited and kept short. Expect to cover 15 miles in about 4 hours.

*ADVANCED SPIRITED PACE:* Similar to the advanced ride, this will be held at the North Section of the Park, the rider should have a strong base fitness level since this ride is geared to those with the racer mentality who like to ride at a quick pace. The terrain will be similar to the advanced ride with a bit less emphasis on the technical sections of the park. NOTE: THIS RIDE IS DEPENDENT ON THE NUMBER OF INTERESTED RIDERS, THIS RIDE MAY BE COMBINED WITH THE ADVANCED RIDE DEPENDING ON THE NUMBER OF REGISTRANTS.

Hope this information helps everyone decide which ride level they want to try.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The weather is looking to be perfect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Allamucy north section?

I was thinking of doing the advanced ride at Allamucy but not sure were the north section of the park is. I have never been to Allamucy but looked it up on MTBNJ directory. Is the North section by Cranbury lake? I'd assume you would gather in the parking lot.
    I get lost easy heading north, could someone spell it out for me.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poor iggy
    I was thinking of doing the advanced ride at Allamucy but not sure were the north section of the park is. I have never been to Allamucy but looked it up on MTBNJ directory. Is the North section by Cranbury lake? I'd assume you would gather in the parking lot.
    I get lost easy heading north, could someone spell it out for me.
    Thanks
    All the rides will leave from the Concert Field. Allamuchy North is the section that is north of Route 80. Deer Park and Stephens are considered part of Allamuchy State Park, but lie south of Route 80.

The northern part of Allamuchy is a lot more technical than Stephens or Deer Park.

Make some music
    Sep 2004

Ride stuff

As far as Stephens goes, there is a marked route for a self guided 4 mi ride with a 7 mile option. Just follow the arrows at the intersections.

The intermediate rides at Stephens will be approx 12 miles with some of the marked stuff and plenty of non-marked. Up the mountain down the mountain, turns, rocks, logs. Solid intermediate level rides that should be fun. Can't say much about the Deer Park rides, I'm working the Stephens State Park side. I hope my legs are up for it, they've been junk this weak.

See ya'll there.
    J.O.R.B.A. More than just tm. WWW.JORBA.ORG

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Good job!

Hey Joe:

Hope all is going well at your event!

Your friends at the mOOn

mtbr member
    All hail JORBA!!! The day was awesome and a huge success. Turnout was HUGE, and there was something for everyone. The vendors, music, Jeff L, demos, and especially the Group Rides rocked!...Even the little ones could practice on the skinnies on display. All in all; it felt good to be a Jersey Boy and enjoy the MTB community in our state this day....Until next year!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Allamuchy Joe:

I hope next year we can coordinate the weekends so we can all attend each others fests. That would rock to hit JORBA, RCST and Moon Lake.

Keep Rid'in!