mtbr member
    Sep 2007

No good Illegal hunters today at 6 mile run!

I'm posting this under a new account as I've posted personal info here before and I don't want to be connected with what happened today.
    I rode the course this morning from the Canal Road side and heard some gunshots while riding. At 1st I didn't think much of it as I really wasn't paying much attention to them and they sounded very distant. After crossing Middlebush Road and riding the track back to the river I started hearing the barking sound of Beagles (baying) and heard 2 more shots. If I had any brains then I'd have turned around but I got curious and kept going.
    The path pretty much ended (furthest I've been that way) and it got real thick with these pink colored flower bushes. As I rode up towards the barking noises I spotted a middle aged man, balding in his mid/late 40's wearing a dark blue pullover shirt with red piping around the sleeves and collar and wearing some type of rubber pants, like fishing waders to protect him from the brambles and thorn bushes.. He was standing there with his arms crossed watching me ride up to him and I could tell by his expression he didn't want me back there. I was leary about continuing but didn't want to seem cowardly so I rode passed him. We exchanged greetings and I spotted the butt end of a handgun sticking from chest holster he was wearing. I about crapped myself but pretended I didn't notice.
    I made the 1st left to get out of his field of view and spotted 2 more men sitting in folding lawn chairs amongst the weeds. Well, I just wanted out of there but the bushes were only getting thicker and it was clogging my chain. So I made a U-turn and headed back towards them. The 2 in the chairs still hadn't seen me and when I came up to the armed person, he spoke to me and I could detect a russian accent. I zipped past him again and a very small Beagle, perhaps a puppy came from the underbrush with blood on his snout. Apparently they were back there running small game. Luckily, I was able to find my return path from the pressed down vegetation and made my way back to my car. I thought about calling the authorities but I had no idea where I was at the time I met up with them so who to call and what to tell them?
    Hopefully they left after being discovered and won't be back any time soon. As for me, I think I'll stick to the west side of the park for now on and if I hear any barking or gunshots I'll keep my distance.

lotto baby
    wow - hunting with a handgun? i have hunted for pretty much all my life, and i can't think of any situation where i would go hunting with a handgun... other than bowhunting to finish the job if i tagged a deer...

did you contact the police? you may still want to let local police know about what happened, just so they can keep their eyes peeled for anything else going on back there. a .22 can travel up to a mile, any larger caliber and you're talking mileS... with all the homes around the area, that is really irresponsible firearms use and extremely dangerous - unless its legal there (like 6 mile is set up as semi-wild or something), they were probably breaking the law.
    i spurt in the wind, and the wind drug it

Come on winter!
    I can't understand how you do not call the police after witnessing something like this.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

mtbr member
    I would call Fish and Wildlife ratrher than the Police. That sounds like a hunting violation. The local Police will probably end up calling the F&W officer to investigate. On the other hand It is migratory bird season, and based off of the area and what they wearing is ok. The fact that they had hand guns is a violation though. Although some small game hunting and trapping does allow the use of a hand gun. I tried to see if there was anything in season for small game and the only one going on now is woodchuck. I doubt they were going for that, they would be hunting in fields.
    Just heads up to everyone hunting season has begun. You will start hearing more shots now. Although you dont have to start dodging the bullets until the shutgun/muzleloader deer season.

mtbr member
    Did it look like they were snipe hunting?

Snipes can be really mean.

These guys were way outside the law and should be dealt with by the man.

The riding on the east side is better than the west by far. Start on rte 27 and work your way back.

Wear bright colors and make your presence known.
    ..I'd rather be a headlight on a northbound train..

Rip
    Broken
    You should have called fish and wildlife or the County Ranger. Remember, hunting season is coming up very quickly.
    À tout le monde. À tous mes amis. Je vous aime. Je dois partir.
    These are the last words I'll ever speak And they'll set me free

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

hunters

I've seen the guys with the beagles many times.they park in the lot on the road just south of the river that goes from canal rd to middlebush rd.Can't remember the name.never seen them hunting just running those noisy dogs,you can hear them a long way.I'm a little nervous in there during hunting season

The Yard Sale King.

I think I saw those same guys too...

...they were huddled around a campfire. As I approached and saw what they were up to, I thought to myself, "saucepan...eggs...just as I suspected - POACHERS!"

mtbr member

Report it

If they're hunting in there illegally please report it. If someone gets hurt in there and you might have prevented it by reporting it I'm sure you're gonna think maybe this could have been avoided. What if its you that gets hurt..... Report it, you owe it to yourself and others

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

puppy?

If it was a beagle puppy, they may have just been giving it field experience. Hunting dogs are useless if they are gun shy, so it requires a gun. I got a beautiful dog when I was a kid because someone took it to hunting trials, it heard shots and bolted, so the guy was giving it away or shooting it. You definitely can't hunt small game with a handgun, though it is legal in some states for large game like deer or bear. I would file the incident away in your mind in case a body turns up or something, but it does sound harmless to me. And i am still laughing at the egg poachers!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    yeah man, thats part of the process to train beagles as hunting dogs. You let them track the wabbits, and you shoot over their heads. It's no big deal.

dragonfly
    Yow thats funny I saw the same thing at Mercer County Park a few years ago. Some dudes had bow and arrows but the arrow wasn't an arrow the tip had like a flat razor blade on it. I was like WTF and bolted outa there asap. Frickin pricks.. smalls kids ride on that side of edinburgh and they could just of easily been shot. The thing is with all god damn housing being built there the park is the last safe refuge for deer and other animals and stupid redneck pricks have to go into the woods and get them there. Hence why I trash windows of trucks i see parked on edinburgh.

peace out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly
    Yow thats funny I saw the same thing at Mercer County Park a few years ago. Some dudes had bow and arrows but the arrow wasn't an arrow the tip had like a flat razor blade on it. I was like WTF and bolted outa there asap. Frickin pricks.. smalls kids ride on that side of edinburgh and they could just of easily been shot. The thing is with all god damn housing being built there the park is the last safe refuge for deer and other animals and stupid redneck pricks have to go into the woods and get them there. Hence why I trash windows of trucks i see parked on edinburgh.

peace out.
    Wow, you are a jackass.

dragonfly
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel1916
    Wow, you are a jackass.

Last I heard its illegal to hunt in Mercer County Park... hopefully that was your truck i smashed up.

Nelson: HA HA.

JORBA: Six Mile Run
    yeah man, thats part of the process to train beagles as hunting dogs. You let them track the wabbits, and you shoot over their heads. It's no big deal.
    When done on multi-use trails near homes, it is a big deal.............
    JORBA: Six Mile Run Chapter. Sixmile at jorba dot org

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Dragonfly, I wouldnt hunt in Mercer county if my life depended on it. You are a jackass, cause you don't know who was driving the truck. It could have been a bird watcher for all you know. If you suspect illegal activity call the police.

Wobbegone, It may not be a great idea, but it's not as big a deal as you think. People who are relatively unfamiliar with firearms often think they have almost magical powers. A handgun bullet is unlikely to travel more than 100 feet in the woods. Where I live in New York State, people regularly shoot groundhogs and other pests in their backyards. Honestly, it has more to do with cultural differences that safety.

dragonfly
    Dragonfly, I wouldnt hunt in Mercer county if my life depended on it. You are a jackass, cause you don't know who was driving the truck. It could have been a bird watcher for all you know. If you suspect illegal activity call the police.

Wobbegone, It may not be a great idea, but it's not as big a deal as you think. People who are relatively unfamiliar with firearms often think they have almost magical powers. A handgun bullet is unlikely to travel more than 100 feet in the woods. Where I live in New York State, people regularly shoot groundhogs and other pests in their backyards. Honestly, it has more to do with cultural differences that safety.

No there were guns/arrows and whatever those camoflague things are. Again sorry about your truck

HA HA!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    So anybody who hunts must be hunting if they are in the woods. I spend literally hundreds of hours a year in the woods, maybe 15% of that time is spent hunting. I've said it before and I'll say it again. You are a jackass. And a criminal.

mtbr member

No good Bad Apple..

So anybody who hunts must be hunting if they are in the woods. I spend literally hundreds of hours a year in the woods, maybe 15% of that time is spent hunting. I've said it before and I'll say it again. You are a jackass. And a criminal.
    I can't agree more.

Hunters, like Mt bikers have fewer and fewer spots to play as homes are built and open space is destroyed.

I hope that the law is paying attention. This forum is not anonymous. I am sure that the moderators can easily identify this offender. This is a another unnecessary black eye on mt biking. A bad apple for sure and not the norm.

I am pretty sure that there are WAY more Hunters than MT bikers in NJ. They have stronger lobbying power and generally a more mature membership.

Please don't take the abusive and ignorant actions of one renegade as the speaker for the rest of us.
    ..I'd rather be a headlight on a northbound train..

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I can't believe a mountain biker would say they mess with vehicles because they don't agree with what the person is doing in the woods. That is the same thing the hikers did to us mountain bikers at South Mountain back when it was busy being lost. Also, they did have legal controlled hunts in mercer in the not so distant pass to control the deer overpopulation in the park, and as a matter of fact, I took my shooting test for a hunting license when I was 13 in mercer park down where the power poles are on the ground. If you didn't agree with th hunt, you should have lined up with the rest of the protesters, not messed with someones vehicle, that truck is likely the vehicle they drive to work to feed their family.
    The guys who were training their beagles most likely had a .22 and shot it into the ground. As a hunter, you are educated about using weapons responsibly. If you have never been a hunter, it is hard to imagine someone going out and shooting animals as a nature lover. It is true though, when I used to hunt, I spent countless hours in the woods watching wildlife, snapping pictures, and of course, napping in my deer stand. I do agree that people should not shoot guns irresponsibly, but someone stating they heard gunshots is not proof of that. Lets all be a little respectful of other peoples rights to enjoy the land, as there is always another group that wants US off of it too. The Sierra club feels that mountain biking is a destructive threat to wilderness and wants us off all public lands, if you really want to chose yourself an enemy, pick something like that please.
    erik

JORBA: Six Mile Run
    Wobbegone, It may not be a great idea, but it's not as big a deal as you think. People who are relatively unfamiliar with firearms often think they have almost magical powers. A handgun bullet is unlikely to travel more than 100 feet in the woods.
    Im not anti- gun, anti-hunter, ect. I have more than enough experience behind a gun. Trust me on that.

I agree with you, Its not a great idea, expecially at a place like 6 mile, where its illegal.
    JORBA: Six Mile Run Chapter. Sixmile at jorba dot org

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbegong
    Im not anti- gun, anti-hunter, ect. I have more than enough experience behind a gun. Trust me on that.

I agree with you, Its not a great idea, expecially at a place like 6 mile, where its illegal.

I'm just curious, would it still be illegal if he was using a training revolver and blanks?