mtbr member

hudson to highlands via waywalandia

'sup mtb peeps?

no doubt many of us are stoked about the upcoming h2h race this week-end

was thinkng about checking out the race course this past saturday, but i had the tarmac (wtb 1.9's ) on the front of the mountain bike, so saturday after test run at franklin lakes tri, brick work-out headed home

so today the fx goes into the shop, and i have to wait for my wrench two build me two wheels, then i keeps woods tires and tarmac tires on each respective wheel set

what's the deal with wayway?

• is it lots of climbing?
    • super rocky, narrow turns?

am thinking about racing this week end and although there's some kind of climbing race up in high point (5.5 miles), i give preference to wayway, as my othere h2h race, would be lewis morris, which is july 4th week-end, so I am not 100% sure where i'll be

any feedback, about the race is appreciated, especially noting if its too difficult, i don't want to be in some one else's way

biked through the red road yesterday, and saw an otter, by teterboro, stopped to take his pic, but he ran away, red road had some folks on mini bikes and a remote control plane group enjoying a beautiful sunday evening

even with the carbon brakes i'm getting today, the fx, will not feel as light as the campy packed post office trek 5600

Born Annoyed
    About 1200' of climbing per lap. On par with Blue Mtn for rock and tech. First race on MTB, go Cat 3 unless you're comfortable with tech. Quite a bit of fire roads.
    It's ALWAYS funny when it happens to somebody else
    Lookie at what I found- http://www.f88me.com check it out, now

mtbr member

i think i can, i think i can

Quote Originally Posted by Panhead
    About 1200' of climbing per lap. On par with Blue Mtn for rock and tech. First race on MTB, go Cat 3 unless you're comfortable with tech. Quite a bit of fire roads.
    thanks for the feed back

as of right now, Cat 3 Men 40-49, there are 11 Confirmed Participants, the most of any age/cat, i cycled with one of the guys in this cat that's already registered at allamuchy

so as it stands now, i think it's worth doing, cat 3 goes off at 9 am, so it looks like a win win situtation

i hope to be weaing my retro velo jersey, unless i can fetch a cooler jersey by sunday, i have a nice new pair of mtb shorts from campmor

two of these folks are listed to cycle wayway, plus me, i hope to register tomorrow

Born Annoyed
    Dude- you're still insane, but bring your whole posse to Waway and have a blast. Get the women to race also not many of them race. Plan to stay the day there are grills there bring food, no alcohol though.

Born Annoyed
    [QUOTE=jkmacman]'sup mtb peeps?QUOTE]

Just find another kit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panhead
    Just find another kit
    Why? That is such a cute belly shirt.

Jackmeister - be prepaird for about 2 hours race in Cat 3.

mtbr member
    thanks for the feedback

my wheel set i got didn't fit on the front fork

it could be the dart 2 w/juicy brakes, and hub are hitting spokes

so now, i am less sure about this event

i think i have until friday night to pre-register

be that as it may, i hope to take bike for a spin tomorrow, then i can just swap about a woods tire for the front and i'm good to go

by the way that kit, i got at campmor last week, but i also bought some nice mtb shorts, they had a cool fox mtb shirt, but i need to save the money for the fox shox

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm alraedy entered in this race but I don't know too much about it. It's my first full year racing but it's not like I havent raced before. My first race was last year at Kittattinny and I got 3rd. Is this anything like that? How long is each lap and how tech is? Are the climbs big and long or are there alot of small climbs? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker7
    I'm alraedy entered in this race but I don't know too much about it. It's my first full year racing but it's not like I havent raced before. My first race was last year at Kittattinny and I got 3rd. Is this anything like that? How long is each lap and how tech is? Are the climbs big and long or are there alot of small climbs? Thanks.
    The Waway race is a longer than Kittatinny. There is a good mix of fire roads and single track. A few of the trails are quite technical, but not crazy. One of the technical trails has been cut out for Cat 3. Climbing, yes, more than Kittatinny, but nothing killer in my opinion. Have fun and be prepared for a longish race.

Southerner In NJ
    Feb 2009
    Good info on the race can be found here
    http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10772

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

really? 2 hours?

2 hours? I read on the nj forum link in this thread that the course is around 8.5 miles or so. That can't take 2 hours can it?

Quote Originally Posted by MixMastaMM

Jackmeister - be prepaird for about 2 hours race in Cat 3.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.blackbearcycling.com/wawa09/
    http://www.blackbearcycling.com/wawa09/
    Course: Expect a different course for 2009. The course will be a bit longer then the last couple of years. You can still expect some of the best technical singletrack the series has to offer but it will be mixed with fast fireroad and doubletrack. So even though the course will be longer expect it to be fast. The course will be marked for pre-riding on the Friday before the event.
    Course may be altered due to weather. conditions.
    Last year most folks Beginner 4-49 were doing wayway in about and hour. Its advertised as a bit longer, so for me up to 25% is a bit, so in my guestimation one hour fifteen minutes could be the mediam time for cat 3 (formerly beginner men)

for me the $64,000 question, "but a new fox fork tomorrow for $700 or wait til next friday when my credit card hits a new cycle. better wait, and ride the bike as is.

Good Luck !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorthirst
    2 hours? I read on the nj forum link in this thread that the course is around 8.5 miles or so. That can't take 2 hours can it?
    It took me 1:15 to do one lap. This was at a faster expert/cat 1 pace. Beginners always take longer. Remember, this is a mountain bike race. Its not the same as riding 8.5 miles on the road, or at the local towpath. There are hills, rocks and logs.

mtbr member
    i thought i read some where, they were going to truncate the cat 3 course a little, and omit some of the tricky parts.

that being said i guess 90 minutes might be closer to the median time for 1 lap of cat 3

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Isn't it only one lap for cat 3?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=7549
    http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=7549
    Cat 3 (Formerly Beginner)
    Cat 3 Jr Men 10-14 1 laps 9:00 AM $21 Medals
    Cat 3 Jr Men 15-18 1 laps 9:00 AM $21 Medals
    Cat 3 Men 19-29 1 laps 9:00 AM $21 Medals
    Cat 3 Men 30-39 1 laps 9:00 AM $21 Medals
    Cat 3 Men 40-49 1 laps 9:00 AM $21 Medals
    Cat 3 Men 50+ 1 laps 9:00 AM $21 Medals
    Cat 3 Jr Women 12-18 1 laps 9:00 AM $21 Medals
    Cat 3 Women 19-40 1 laps 9:00 AM $21 Medals
    Cat 3 Women 40+ 1 laps 9:00 AM $21 Medals
    anyone riding the course friday night or early saturday morning??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker7
    Isn't it only one lap for cat 3?
    You are correct

Quote Originally Posted by jkmacman
    anyone riding the course friday night or early saturday morning??
    I'm aiming for Sunday at 1:00