mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Help Save NJ Dirt Bike Enduros

I know this is a mountain bike forum but us dirt bikers need all the help we can get. I ride for MCI (www.motorcyclecompetitioninc.com) and DEP just denied our permit for our event in November and are in the process of denying two other clubs. This is a 70 year tradition they are trying to end.
    DEP is trying to end NJ enduros and keep us out of the woods. Please call and email the contacts below and state how you are against this law. Below is the letter the DEP is sending out against enduros. We need to fight this to save our sport. It only takes a minute!! Thanks in advance!

Race Series going strong for 70 years www.ecea.org

Here is a link to AMA bulletin you can fill out as well:

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...gislation.aspx

PS You need include your name, town, and phone number in the email to counted.

NJ DEP Commissioner Bob Martin phone (609) 292-2885
    Email: Bob.Martin@dep.state.nj.us
    Email: Michele.buckley@dep.state.nj.us

Letter being mailed out:
    In April 2013, the New Jersey Park Service approved a plan to limit enduro clubs to pre-approved routes for their permitted dirt-bike racing events held on state land. These routes consist of plowed firebreaks, unimproved sand roads and improved roads. The State Park Service created this plan to deal with the costly management of recreation permits, limit damage to natural resources, and reduce the number of new trails created throughout state forests.

Thank you to all the people who made calls to the Governor's Office early this summer in support of this plan. Now New Jersey's Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) needs to hear from you.

Although the DEP agreed with this plan, enduro clubs are pushing back and asking them to reverse their decision. The DEP needs to hear from you - the other users of the state parks and forests. Tell them that you support limiting enduros to a sub-set of trails, so that the rest of the public can enjoy the state's natural resources.

Motorized recreation creates many problems in state forests such as spreading invasive species, disturbing wildlife, destroying wetlands, increasing soil erosion, destroying native plants, and it can interfere with the ability of other people to enjoy state parks and forests. It is time to limit this damage to our public resource.

Enduro Clubs still get to enjoy hundreds of miles of trails on public land under the new plan and can continue holding events on private land. This approach is a significant improvement over the last 30 years of costly, ineffective management.

PLEASE CALL or EMAIL TODAY TO LET COMMISSIONER MARTIN KNOW THAT YOU SUPPORT THE STATE PARK SERVICE PLANS FOR MANAGING ENDURO EVENTS ON STATE LAND!

NJ DEP Commissioner Bob Martin phone (609) 292-2885
    Email: Bob.Martin@dep.state.nj.us

You can also contact your state Assemblyperson and Senator to share your support for the State Park Service plan. You can find your legislator email and phone number by visiting here.

For more information on this important issue check out the June/July issue of our newsletter here.

Thank you,

mtbr member

Re: Help Save NJ Dirt Bike Enduros

Let's get facts straight...DEP denied your ability to cut new tracks because you're too greedy to use all the existing trails DEP is allowing you to use.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Well now there's a great way to start an open dialogue. Maybe you should also add that they steal candy from babies, desecrate American flags and are atheist Al-Queda loving liberals who believe in evolution.

mtbr member
    Not sure the relevance of all that, but fact remains that OP is misinforming folks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You are actually 100% wrong and I apologize I have not been online to update the status but the DEP has denied the permit for us to run in the woods period. This letter was just the start of a long battle and barely touches the surface. The Pines/ DEP actually granted us miles of single track use for 75 years! It is legally written in the Pines "law book" that enduros are allowed to run in the woods using fire cuts, single track, etc. This year the DEP is going against there promise and pushing back. It is an amazing family sport similar to mountain biking and we would appreciate the support from the MTBing community. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by NJEnviroguy View Post
    Let's get facts straight...DEP denied your ability to cut new tracks because you're too greedy to use all the existing trails DEP is allowing you to use.

mtbr member
    ENSP biologists along with staff from the NHR Office, the Division of Parks and Forestry and Office of Natural Lands Management finalized a 5-year plan for Wharton State Forest where a set of “pre-approved” trails will be presented to the Enduro (organized motorcycle events) organizers in November 2012. In addition, ENSP was successful in limiting these events (only between October 15 and April 15) in order to minimize adverse impacts to SGCN. This plan eliminates a case-by-case activity review for events, however the groups will still need to apply for a permit for each event. The plan is to develop 5-year plans for our State Parks in the Pinelands and southern New Jersey because they have the greatest number Enduro events.
    Source:http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ensp/...11-12_tech.pdf NJDEP Interim Report

DEP denied your ability to cut new trails, different than the pre-approved trails. Why I'm being persistent here is because mtbers have great working relationships with local, county, and state environmental agencies and I hope those continue. By feeding them misinformation, I fear your poor business choices could hurt those relationships by causing unsupported push-back against an agency's decisions that actually make sense.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The information you posted above "should" be correct BUT the DEP denied all use of the trails for MCI's enduro as well as others. Our business decisions have not hurt our relationship. If you dig deeper you will find the real answers.
    I also hope this does not happen to MTBing trails as they are prob. next on the chopping block.

Quote Originally Posted by NJEnviroguy View Post
    Source:http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ensp/...11-12_tech.pdf NJDEP Interim Report

DEP denied your ability to cut new trails, different than the pre-approved trails. Why I'm being persistent here is because mtbers have great working relationships with local, county, and state environmental agencies and I hope those continue. By feeding them misinformation, I fear your poor business choices could hurt those relationships by causing unsupported push-back against an agency's decisions that actually make sense.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It would be great if everyone would continue to sign the AMA bulletin listed in the first post. Thanks.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    It would be great if motorized usage didn't destroy non-motorized singletrack...but it does.
    Not even debatable.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It would be great if motorized usage didn't destroy non-motorized singletrack...but it does.
    Not even debatable.
    We only used authorized trails because if a member on ECEA is caught on unauthorized trails we can lose our race license so this is not a problem with the Enduro community. If the series is ended by the DEP many racers may not care anymore. This bulletin is referring to approved trails only.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I ride mountain bikes and dirt bikes. Mountain bikers sabotaged our last Enduro at Allamuchy by flipping and stealing arrow markers. Then the next year we were denied use of the trails that our club made since the '60s. A coupled of years after that the hikers and bird watchers wanted the mountain bikers off the trails.
    Bill

'95 Raleigh 400, STX-RC (road, touring)
    '00 Santa Cruz Superlight, XTR
    (Northern N.J.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    A friend of mine was telling me how there use to be an enduro at Allamuchy, I imagine it was a blast. We lost our enduro this year but are fighting to get it back. We do have a dual sport on March 9th which is a promising sign, it is the first one MCI has had since I have been a member.

Quote Originally Posted by INABIL View Post
    I ride mountain bikes and dirt bikes. Mountain bikers sabotaged our last Enduro at Allamuchy by flipping and stealing arrow markers. Then the next year we were denied use of the trails that our club made since the '60s. A coupled of years after that the hikers and bird watchers wanted the mountain bikers off the trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Actually the last enduro was held after a week of heavy rains that dropped over 8" of rain on the park. I don't recall that actually date of the race though it was either Mother's Day or Father's Day. The damage to the park and trails was widespread and well beyond the normal impact that would have expect and somewhat repairable. The trails were rutted and covered in concrete like mud, new trails were bushwhacked with no regard to sustainability or erosion and stream crossing became mud bogs. The mud was so deep and pervasive that 4 wheel drive vehicles were brought in (illegally) to pull out the mud stuck motorcycles. Couple that with the fact that the race was oversold and the turn out was well above the projected attendance and it was an unmitigated disaster for the park and Enduro club that s

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Actually the last enduro was held after a week of heavy rains that dropped over 8" of rain on the park. I don't recall that actually date of the race though it was either Mother's Day or Father's Day. The damage to the park and trails was widespread and well beyond the normal impact that would have been expected and somewhat repairable. The trails were rutted and covered in concrete like mud, new trails were bushwhacked with no regard to sustainability or erosion and stream crossing became mud bogs. The mud was so deep and pervasive that 4 wheel drive vehicles were brought in (illegally) to pull out the mud stuck motorcycles. Couple that with the fact that the race was oversold and the turnout was well above the projected attendance and it was an unmitigated disaster for the park and Enduro club that sponsored the race. No post race trail work down until months after that race and then it was more PR damage control that actually trail repair. That year for the 24hrs of Allamuchy the course needed to be shortened and re-routed extensively to avoid the un-rideable trails.
    I know the argument that Enduros created the trails that we all ride and love and to some extant I don't disagree, though the reality is motorized off road vehicles are not allowed in SP's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RyderX View Post
    Actually the last enduro was held after a week of heavy rains that dropped over 8" of rain on the park. I don't recall that actually date of the race though it was either Mother's Day or Father's Day. The damage to the park and trails was widespread and well beyond the normal impact that would have been expected and somewhat repairable. The trails were rutted and covered in concrete like mud, new trails were bushwhacked with no regard to sustainability or erosion and stream crossing became mud bogs. The mud was so deep and pervasive that 4 wheel drive vehicles were brought in (illegally) to pull out the mud stuck motorcycles. Couple that with the fact that the race was oversold and the turnout was well above the projected attendance and it was an unmitigated disaster for the park and Enduro club that sponsored the race. No post race trail work down until months after that race and then it was more PR damage control that actually trail repair. That year for the 24hrs of Allamuchy the course needed to be shortened and re-routed extensively to avoid the un-rideable trails.
    I know the argument that Enduros created the trails that we all ride and love and to some extant I don't disagree, though the reality is motorized off road vehicles are not allowed in SP's.
    Absolutley incorrect! This was '95 I think. It was insane and it all healed up just fine. Event continued 5 or 6 more years and was never that muddy again. I grew up watching this event and miss it dearly. I'm so glad I was able to participate in its last few years. ECEA is a great orginization and I wish them luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I first discovered the trails of Allamuchy while riding a '75 or '76 Hercules Sacs that I bought at the Chester flea market in 1983 so I'm pretty familiar with the history of motorcycles in the park. The rain year was the last year the event was held in the SP. the next time it was held was in Byram near the Wild West City property. If I recall there might have been a missing year between the 2.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Oh yeah, I remember you being there at registration!!?? Been in the park on my own since '76 and was given motorized free reign by my parents in '80. Did the last run on a borrowed KX 250. Was terrified because i was a lite rider and the B250 class was super competetive. Remember the pink loop having standing water and there was a NASTY rut coming up the lil hill after the "serpentine maze" sign. Other than that it was an atypical moist conditions event. No worse than the one All-a-muchy or any of the MTB slopfests held at KVSP that you had a hand in. I also remember thinkin I had a shot cause attendance was low and, there was concern at the pre race mtg over roll chart mileage cause there had been some course tampering. Wild West City was a Hare Scamble...totally seperate event. We need to stick together kids. UTV, ORV, quads,dirtbikes and MTB are all the same user group as far as "the man's" concerned.