Thread: Help my outlook

mtbr member

Help my outlook

Reaching out to NJ & NY mtbr folks to hopefully help improve my outlook and give me the 411 on the mtb (and general bike) scene out there.

Due to my wife having a to good to pass up job opportunity in NYC, it looks like we'll be moving from the SF Bay Area to the NYC region in early 2013. Been in the Bay Area for 17 yrs, so it will be hard to leave. Hardest thing to imagine is giving up the riding opportunities, and the thought of having limited riding nearby is a very depressing thought (like an empty bottle of scotch depressing). I'm a cyclist at heart, and love it all - mtb, road, cross, track - and have a quiver of bikes to support the addiction. We have two young kids, and are considering moving to the Montclair area to be near my wife's sister and her family in Short Hills.

I am looking for suggestions (and quite honestly some mtbr moral support that I won't be a lost soul) as far as local places and destinations within an hour or two to ride, places to live near riding, even what bike(s) you consider practical and/or suitable for the trails out there.

I'm really hoping that my riding won't have to turn into riding the recumbent at the gym...

Thanks!

JORBA

Don't worry

There is a lot of different riding available here, just no 7 mile climbs . Terrain varies from rocky to sandy and everything in between. Check out some of the parks that we maintain JORBA Parks Map | JORBA - You Dig? . I'm sure your quiver will be put to good use here.
    Frank Harms
    JORBA President
    frank at jorba.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    There are a few greenways in the city itself, which aren't shabby (I've only walked them, but have heard favorable things about riding them) and the streets have become much safer for cyclists in the past few years. Not as nice as SF, from my understanding, but light years ahead of where they were.

Depending on where you wind up, there are lots of opportunities for good cycling, be it road, mountain, or otherwise...though Frank above is right--it's mostly flatlanding, with the occasional couple of miles uphill; NJ even has a couple of velodromes.

If you wind up in the city, the Jersey coast (and Hartshorne Woods, not on Jorba's website, though) is a ferry ride to Middletown away (pro-tip, buy a season pass for the ferry, it is [was?] a hefty $50 for a car each way, not sure what the bicycle rate is, though I know there is one). Ocean Ave is a nice ride, though there are no dedicated bike lanes. Both NYC and the NJ have road cycling clubs.

Rest assured, you'll be able to hit something within an hour of wherever you wind up...NJ ain't that big

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The biking scene in NJ is pretty strong, and the bike community is very welcoming. Plenty of MTB, cross and road racing, surprisingly challenging terrain, few access issues. Check out MTBNJ.com for some additional local flavor. Feel free to hit me up when you arrive. I'll be happy to show you some fun stuff.

rzip
    Apr 2009
    Montclair is in Essex county so the county parks are off limits to Mountain Biking. The good news is that New Jersey has a large population base to support lots of trails elsewhere in the state. In the area you are looking to live, easy access to Rt. 80 W(via 280) will get you to the trails on time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Maybe some of the work at video Trail Reviews dot com will help ease the pain. I don't have a high enough post count for the direct link

lotto baby
    if you are thinking of moving to the montclair area you're looking at a good spot. riding is within arms reach, you're close to NYC, and the area has lots of good local eats. there are plenty of bike addicts around to help enable you too

check out mtbnj like it was said before.
    i spurt in the wind, and the wind drug it

mtbr member
    +1 on what everyone has stated here. 45-60min from some great trails, both in NJ as well as NY State; great restaurants locally; close proximity to anything you can think of in NYC; and NJ's 1st Medical Marijuana location right in your back yard. So you got that going for ya!!
    Nothing really witty to say..........

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like there's plenty of dirt to explore; maybe a reason to have to build up a fat bike...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by plantdude View Post
    ... maybe a reason to have to build up a fat bike...
    Now you're talking!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

RideDirt
    Your in a good spot for sure , and being in Montclair your in the best spot as you will be close to a lot of the most raw techy trails available to you with lots of work put into them . As mentioned , close to NY as well which has plenty of trails . The trail system in the tri state area is HUGE , and if you want some fast flowy trails we have it as well .

Try and adjust to the climate