mtbr member

hartshorne woods nj?

is it worth the 1 hour drive to go to hartshorne?

mtbr member
    I typically head there 3 or so weekends a month. We are in Clark, about 30 minutes or so. If you follow the blacks, Rocky Point and grand tour , there is some good riding. I went with my son on Friday, there was some water/rain rut damage from the storm on the 14th, and who knows what from this storm today. But I'm sure you'll have fun. My other spot, Lewis Morris is much more mellow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hartshorne is good fun but I would give it a good week to drain after this hurricane. Rocky Point will be muddy (if not under water) for sure. Depending on where you park we like to ride counter clockwise. This makes some of the climbing more managable on the tandem. We generally park at Buttermilk Falls lot and take Laurel Ridge trail to Grand Tour to Rocky Point back to GT and then down the fire road to the lot. That loop gives us about +/- 10 miles. If you like it you could then reverse the route for more miles. Try MTBNJ for more trail info. Good Luck!
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem

mtbr member
    Big C, judging by your want to build FR/DH style trails in NJ (I would love this very much) my guess is you will be somewhat disappointed with Hartshorne in that there are no man made features not even small berms or edges. But since you are a beginner XCer I would strongly recommend checking it out they are some amazing trails otherwise. Quite hilly with some great tech spots!

These are my go to trails (only 10 min away) most of summer I have been riding them on a 7" bike I built up. Now that I have a feel for the bike, I want more. I wish the Monmouth county park service would ever allow real features (even small optional ones off to the side).

I could trash the rangers all day about trail maintenance... For example dumping wheelbarrows loads of beach sand and making 5-6 inch deep sand traps is quite simply wrong... and they are extremely lazy about cutting up fallen trees (1.5-2ft diameter) laying on the trails... But they have no problem erasing the slightest berm edge... Etc etc

Anyway, they are still awesome trails and I highly recommend them. I haven't been up to north jersey to try any trails up there but Laurel ridge, Grand Tour, and Rocky Point are worth the 1 hour trip to try them out at least once.
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    What kind of riding do you like? I've read some of your posts and I like your enthusiasm, but you might need a little direction or a network of people who can help you find the type of riding and trail building you are seeking. There are all types of riders at some of the group rides and trail maintenace days.These guys/girls can help you with advice and information. I suggest going to an Allaire Tues nite and make some friends. Here you will meet begginers to advanced riders who can help you maximize your time on a bike. Go to any trail work day and you certainly meet people with the same building interests you have. Once you get in on ground level with the community of riders you will figure out who you want to be hanging out with.

And yes, Hartshorn is worth an hours drive, but not if your just gonna wander around the woods and look for stuff to huck your bike off, and I wouldnt make any attempt to alter the trails either. Good luck out there.