mtbr member
    May 2004

Hartshorne Park a Review From an Out of Towner

I'm visiting my brother in Fairhaven and took a spin over at Hartshorne.
    I didn't expect this in NJ, hills and views. I asked another rider if there was a volunteer group that did trail work. He's like are you kidding this is New Jersey. Huh? Is this true? The trails could use some rerouting to pull them out of the drainages and make them work with the terrain. I liked the benched sections that had some flow. Back in Seattle I do lots of work on MTB and wilderness trails so it pains me to see erosion, while the steep sections are tricky and fun they're not sustainable. Hope the get 2 more sessions in before heading back home.

A few questions.
    Is there a club in the area? My brother has 3 elementary age kids so it would be cool if he could hook up with some other kids.
    Are there any other places nearby that would be good for kids?
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    THis should answer most of your questions:

Opinion of Hartshorne - mtbNJ.com
    Jersey Off-Road Bicycle Association- Advocate, Educate and Conserve
    You Dig? WWW.JORBA.ORG

WWW.MTBNJ.COM

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    JORBA rides out of Allaire, that's probably the closest to the area. Lots of the county parks in Monmouth actually have some very nicely groomed sections that would be appropriate for beginners (Turkey Swamp, Tatum, parts of Thompson)

Unfortunately, as a county park, Hartshorne is only allowed to be maintained by county staff. There are a few days for volunteer work, but bureaucracy makes for slow work. If you want to ride a well groomed, sustainable system, try Allaire. If you hit it on the weekend, you'll find plenty of people there, I'm sure someone wouldn't mind you tagging along.

If you want to string together a big ride, hit Hartshorne, and hook up with Huber Woods through the Claypit. Less erosion in Huber, lots more log overs.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That's a bummer about the rad tape. King County (Seattle area) hires this group:Washington Trails Association and gives grant money to this one:Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance - Washington's Largest Mountain Bike Club
    I had to sign up as a trails ambassador to lead my own work parties but that was easy because I knew one of the parks guys from years of doing WTA work parties. Hope something like this can happen here.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Don't mess with my "tricky and fun" trails! You may be interested to know that some of those "unsustainable" trails are 25 or more years old. I agree that some of them need some work, but the park system's answer to that has been to replace the old (fun) trails with new, flattened-out (boring) trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Don't mess with my "tricky and fun" trails! You may be interested to know that some of those "unsustainable" trails are 25 or more years old. I agree that some of them need some work, but the park system's answer to that has been to replace the old (fun) trails with new, flattened-out (boring) trails.
    Completely agree. I understand the sustainability part, but erosion is going to happen regardless. The closest trails to me in PA were created by people on dirtbikes 20+ years ago. No one works on them, and they are still there...
    (The biggest issue is the new kids on quads taking out log overs.)

Leave the trails raw and techy, fix the obvious issues. But above all, use common sense. If a trail is too difficult, learn to ride somewhere else and come back when you have the skills. All trails do not have to be rideable be everyone.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_schuldt View Post
    That's a bummer about the rad tape. King County (Seattle area) hires this group:Washington Trails Association and gives grant money to this one:Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance - Washington's Largest Mountain Bike Club
    I had to sign up as a trails ambassador to lead my own work parties but that was easy because I knew one of the parks guys from years of doing WTA work parties. Hope something like this can happen here.
    JORBA chapters help maintain trails throughout the state. JORBA Parks Map | JORBA - You Dig?
    But that maintenance requires local participation.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hit it again on Thursday and took my brothers kids to Huber Woods.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Where can I find a map to Allaire State Park? Couldn't find it on the park site.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_schuldt View Post
    Where can I find a map to Allaire State Park? Couldn't find it on the park site.
    Thanks.
    This might help you out: Allaire State Park - mtbNJ.com Wiki