mtbr member

Hartshorne incident - Riders that don't respect common trail courtesy -

I was at Hartshorne this Sunday and at the 6th mile of my 8 mile loop. There is a steep section I am going up at the rocky point trail that is pretty narrow and somewhat technical. 4 guys coming down. 1st flies down no biggie because trail is wide enough and he's taking a different line than me. Couple more feet up this narrow ravine, some next guy literally comes down same line in ravine, so i have to veer and stop instantaneously. All momentum is lost, and I'm a dead stop in the ravine. Guy stops and says in his eastern european accent, "Can you move your bike.."
    I'm pissed.. "Dude , you F'ed me up and you want me to move? Uphill riders have the right of way."
    European guy says, "There is no rule like that!!...you should move out my way!!"
    "Are you stupid? uphill rider always have right of way, it's just common sense"
    "I Mountain biking foreva, and there no such rule...who says this? I no hear this? You move out my way.!!!."
    I'm now livid, "Then you're just F***k'n stupid!!"

He rolls downward mumbling something. The other 2 guys were nice enough and they went along, I told them he should teach his boy the rules.

This is just a rant and reminder to you riders out there...Uphill riders have the right of way! (Unless signs say otherwise). Most of the time there's no big deal, but whenthe trail is steep and only one line...use some courtesy.

And Mr. Eastern European guy, your stupidity is forgiven, and maybe it will make sense to you someday, that a MTBr uphill has a hard if not impossible task to start up again once they start..(I'm thinking you walk uphill all the time so it makes no sense to your little brain)

And if I ever see you out there again, you're more than welcome to start something with me without running away so I can give you the beating you deserve. Other Hartshorne riders, feel free to beat him as well.

I'm done ranting. Thanks for listening
    Last edited by red bank rider; 02-25-2013 at 09:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That guy is a tool.

mtbr member
    I agree with you Red Bank Rider, I ride Hartshorne often, and every once and a while I run into someone. There was one time I was just about throw this guy and his bike down the ravine. He almost ran over my son, who was around 8 and rides with me most of the time. Some people have no consideration.

JORBA
    This is sad, imagine how other users are being treated? Hopefully this kind of behavior doesn't continue and is rare, I would hate for it to threaten our access.
    Frank Harms
    JORBA President
    frank at jorba.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    euro trash thinks you should roll out the red carpet for him.

mtbr member
    Sounds like some A-hole roadies I ran into a few months back in North NJ

mtbr member
    Just curious, was he on a red specialized enduro?

No Stranger to danger....
    Theres no point talking your gonna give the guy a beating the second time you see him, talks cheap bro, either punch on there n then or forever hold your peace..
    And whats the guys nationality got to do with it, by the way your talkin i think its safe to presume you would have gotten your ass kicked by 'mr Euro', dudes that are inclined to punch on, just punch on, not whine and big talk about what you will do next time....

cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Hartshorne incident - Riders that don't respect common trail courtesy -

I still pull over. It avoids this kind of crap most of the time.

There's an unspoken rule about respecting downhill traffic. What's posted on signs isn't what people respect. Kind of annoying.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    It doesnt matter where you go , you will always run into *****. Ive encountered tons of lycra XCers think they have the right of way under any circumstances whether its uphill, downhill, flat, walkers, hikers, joggers, bikers, people on horseback. It seems to be a common mentality with endurance sports.
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Don't recall if it was a specialized, I do remember it was a 29er.

Yes you will run into ***** once in awhile who think they own the trail above hikers, other riders, horseback, etc... as mentioned above The issue is that this lack of common trail courtesy will threaten our access.

I'm not looking to go out riding and escalate every incident into a brawl as some of you may wish, but I stand by what I have said.

No Stranger to danger....
    LOL, Whats wrong with a brawl, its the best form of mediation in some situations, i'll expect more from you next time..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Too bad. Coulda happened to hikers, dog walker, or someone with their little ones. That crowd would (likely) not have started a fight, or come to this forum to rant, but rather complained to the authorities and potentially caused real trouble for trail access... as gt2brew mentioned.

That being said, I see no problem eliminating the bad apples.

Start slow and taper off
    Feb 2004
    Unfortunately, the odds favor that the guy doesn't post here and you're preaching to the choir. Odds also favor that he's not the kind of guy who will be convinced he's in the wrong.

Me, I tend to pull over to let people by regardless of whether I'm climbing or descending. It's not that important to me to. I know who has the right-away, but why let that kind of thing ruin my day?
    My Artwork

Hard words break no bones, fine words butter no parsnips.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neveride View Post
    Unfortunately, the odds favor that the guy doesn't post here and you're preaching to the choir. Odds also favor that he's not the kind of guy who will be convinced he's in the wrong.

Me, I tend to pull over to let people by regardless of whether I'm climbing or descending. It's not that important to me to. I know who has the right-away, but why let that kind of thing ruin my day?

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    I agree with neveride. In my eternity on this planet I've learned the satisfaction from screaming at someone or fighting to prove I'm right can't compare to the peaceful feeling I get from simply shrugging them off and going about my business. It sometimes takes a little willpower but usually a confrontation simply prolongs the annoyance.

HOWEVER, red bank rider, I will say I completely understand. I have a ton of patience but what sets me off is when I give someone plenty of slack, even though they are in the wrong and acting like a dick, only to have them take the offensive and call ME out. that's when I start to boil and it gets really tough to hold back.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Just came across this thread. Having ridden for many years all over the place I will say that while this can happen anywhere, it happens ALL THE TIME at Hartshorne. It's the only place I ride where I end up pissed off at the end of a ride instead of exhausted.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BIke N Gear View Post
    Just came across this thread. Having ridden for many years all over the place I will say that while this can happen anywhere, it happens ALL THE TIME at Hartshorne. It's the only place I ride where I end up pissed off at the end of a ride instead of exhausted.
    Really? I ride there at least 100 days a year, and this rarely happens to me. I was there today, a Sunday, from 10:30 til noon, pretty much prime time, and everyone was pretty respectful, even the tattooed helmetless dudes I saw.