mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Hardtails at Mountain Creek!

Anyone here ever take a hardtail down the intermediate trails @ MC? My buddy and I went there today for the first time on our HTs and we couldn't find but one or two others with a HT attempting it.

So who else has done it? What trails did you take? We hit Greenhorn, Breakout, Crap Chute, Indy, Ego Trip, Domboo, Lower Alpine and maybe a few more I can't remember. We wanted to hit an advanced trail or two but after 5-6 runs down the mountain we were beat and called it a day (not to mention I'm not sure if we or the bikes would've survived).

mtbr member
    I was there yesterday and there were a few. One, a father and his daughter, I sawn them hit up Greenhorn. After 10-12 runs on my 7" bike, I was beat up too!

meh?
    I've never been to Mountain Creek, but I'm curious about how much of the mountain people have done on a HT. I'm planning on going early next season with a friend. This friend has been mtbing once, and it was on the beginners trails on a mountain in VT. I've got a Chameleon with a 120mm fork. I figure I could keep up with him on a rental on the easy trails, right? I'm a trail rider, so it's not like I'm going to be jumping this thing. My bike's not going to split in half....right?

mtbr member

Years ago but yes...........

I built up a Chameleon with a Pike fork (140 mm), Magua FR brakes, Kenda 2.5 DH tires on Rhyno Not-So-Lite wheels, BMW seat and flats.

I had no problem on the intermediate trails though I don't remember the names other than one called Lost Pantalones.

I wasn't heavy into downhill so I did nothing extreme.

Way before Mountain Creek was Mountain Creek, we used to ride DH at Vernon Valley/GG on our XC hardtails. I managed not to kill myself on a GT Zaskar with a SID fork and rim brakes. Hell, my wife rode the place on a fully rigid too but that was before the place got to be what it is now. I did taco an XC wheel once.

Ghost Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mamba1220 View Post
    Anyone here ever take a hardtail down the intermediate trails @ MC? My buddy and I went there today for the first time on our HTs and we couldn't find but one or two others with a HT attempting it.

So who else has done it? What trails did you take? We hit Greenhorn, Breakout, Crap Chute, Indy, Ego Trip, Domboo, Lower Alpine and maybe a few more I can't remember. We wanted to hit an advanced trail or two but after 5-6 runs down the mountain we were beat and called it a day (not to mention I'm not sure if we or the bikes would've survived).
    I think we spoke for a bit by the cleaning station. (the guy from JORBA, yellow/black jersey) Here's the link to the site I spoke about. Video Trail Reviews.Com Trail Directory

Quote Originally Posted by Map204 View Post
    I've never been to Mountain Creek, but I'm curious about how much of the mountain people have done on a HT. I'm planning on going early next season with a friend. This friend has been mtbing once, and it was on the beginners trails on a mountain in VT. I've got a Chameleon with a 120mm fork. I figure I could keep up with him on a rental on the easy trails, right? I'm a trail rider, so it's not like I'm going to be jumping this thing. My bike's not going to split in half....right?
    I've done the trail bike on a DH park before. It's doable. My only suggestion is to put a larger rotor on your back break. The terrain is so steep that you're constantly applying breaks and they will overheat and burn your pads and rotor. (and possibly destroy your caliper).

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyL358 View Post
    I think we spoke for a bit by the cleaning station. (the guy from JORBA, yellow/black jersey) Here's the link to the site I spoke about.

Yes Sir, my buddy and I checked out the site already. How was the rest of your day? I think we made 2 or 3 more runs after speaking with you. They were all on intermediate trails and we got quite a bit faster after knowing the terrain.

I've done the trail bike on a DH park before. It's doable. My only suggestion is to put a larger rotor on your back break. The terrain is so steep that you're constantly applying breaks and they will overheat and burn your pads and rotor. (and possibly destroy your caliper).
    Agreed, I used lots of brake especially the first few runs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It is definitely doable. Just about a month ago was my first time off road after about a 10 year period of ZERO riding. Just know your limits and your bike's limits. I'm not gonna lie, the first few runs I was second guessing myself and still walking some areas toward end of day. I'm afraid of heights as well, so I have a few battles going on in my head on the descent.

FYI: I was on a Trek Mamba RockShox XC32 100mm and my buddy was on a Windsor Cliff 4500 RockShox Recon Silver 100mm and we made it so you should be fine.

RideDirt
    I would just keep it to the green and blue marked trails if your on those bikes , not cuz you cant do it but for safety reasons and to enjoy the trails .. Ive been on pretty much all the trails there , double black diamonds and some of the trails even gave me a hard time on a full DH bike . The whole point is to have fun , so keep it safe and stay on the flowy trails so you can come back and ride , rather then hate the experience or possibly be injured.

I will recommend that you rent a DH bike so you can get the full experience in and blast thru all the trails and really enjoy the sport . I would give you guys a tour but unfort im recovering from an injury from mountain creek lol .

meh?
    First off, thanks for the tour offer, I hope you heal quickly. MTB people are awesome

I want to bring my HT because I just want to see if I could do it. Also, I'm vain and my bike looks damn sexy :-) That said, I think I'll probably end up renting the DH bike because I'll be able to relax and enjoy the experience. I'll be trying to keep an eye out for my friend too.

I'll bring the HT the next time I go and I know what to expect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    First off, thanks for the tour offer, I hope you heal quickly. MTB people are awesome

I want to bring my HT because I just want to see if I could do it. Also, I'm vain and my bike looks damn sexy :-) That said, I think I'll probably end up renting the DH bike because I'll be able to relax and enjoy the experience. I'll be trying to keep an eye out for my friend too.

I'll bring the HT the next time I go and I know what to expect.
    We are planning to go again the last weekend of the month on our HTs. Unsure if it will be Sat or Sun at this point...will keep you posted if you wanted to meet up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Right when we got of the lift the guy in the booth at the top spots my brother and holds him up. He has an older Cannondale HT. He would NOT let him down, even called some guy of higher authority. So I went down and I have no DH bike (Kona Kikapu) and see him on the lift coming down LOL. He went to the bike shop and got a rental GT Furry and was glad as hell he did.
    You probally could ride a HT on the easier trails but you wont have nearly as much fun compaired to a full suspension. You'll also hurt like hell afterward. When we got home we both started talking about getting DH bikes ha. But I'm not a DH rider so I thinking about the Cannondale Jekyll.
    2007 Kikapu

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Can you ride the park on a hardtail? Yes. Will you have a ton more fun on a properly-suited bike? Yes.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Can you ride the park on a hardtail? Yes. Will you have a ton more fun on a properly-suited bike? Yes.
    Exactly. This question comes up constantly and every time, at least one guy takes it as a challenge to his manhood and riding ability. It's got nothing to do with that.

The bike is merely a tool. Pick the right tool for the job and you'll always have more fun. could you build a house with hand tools? Sure. Would you have a much better time with electric saws and an air nailer? Hell yes!
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

meh?
    haha it's not about manhood, ect. I understand why a more properly suited bike would be more fun. In fact, I'm looking forward to using something with more than 100mm of travel. I just wanted to see if it was a common thing. I've put a lot of money and time into my hardtail and want to use it as much as I can.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    I should have pointed out that wasn't directed to anyone in particular. This thread actually is keeping it pretty real.

- Rob
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Not really about "manhood" for me either. I bought a XC hardtail never thinking I'd have any interest in DH stuff. Just about a month later I found myself wanting to try it out after hearing others talk about it.

For me, renting a bike after I just dropped close to $1k on my first new bike in a while (I know for some this isn't much, but for me it is) didn't really sit right. So I gave it a shot. I had a blast, but yes, I probably would've had a better time on an AM or DH specific bike.

The point of this thread was really to point out that I thought it was odd I didn't see more people in a similar situation with hardtails there.