Thread: Hacklebarney

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Hacklebarney

Is there riding up in this park? (near Mendham, Long Valley, Pottersville area)

Someone told me there are bike trails but it's not listed in the reviews section and a search on this forum turned up no results. I will be moving to within a stone's throw and I'd love to be able to be ride if it allowed and worth it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Great Question. I used to walk and hike there. What a beautiful park with great walking areas. I always wondered about riding there. I hope someone has an answer that won't get us in trouble. If not, 'Oh Well,' there is still a lot of trails available in the state.

FIX IT YOURSELF
    I've bin goin 2 Barney cinse eye was a kid.....Better left 4 foot traffic....2 many families and the park is not that big....Establishing new trails at this park wood b very hard to negotiate

The Kalmyk
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby
    Is there riding up in this park? (near Mendham, Long Valley, Pottersville area)

Someone told me there are bike trails but it's not listed in the reviews section and a search on this forum turned up no results. I will be moving to within a stone's throw and I'd love to be able to be ride if it allowed and worth it.

Just checked -- from www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks link, "Hacklebarney is a hiking only park, no bikes are allowed on any trails." It is a relatively small park that is well used by hikers, so I guess that is the reasoning behind it.

Great road riding in the area, though. Also, you are not that far from Lewis Morris, Deer Park or Allamuchy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There are sections of Patriot's Path that allow bikes in that area near the Black River. Hacklebarney itself is off limits but much of Patriot's Path is not.

Not advocating it nor saying I've not done it, but parts of Patriot's Path that say hikers only are desolate. I've never seen a hiker on some of these parts. Do a search for maps of Patriot's Path and investigate.

Send me a PM if you want a guide for some of the trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the info. Lewis Morris is my favorite place to ride, and I've road PP a little, I thought I saw the whole thing. Maybe there's more to it than I saw, based on what you're saying CrashCanipe?

mtbr member
    Bike friendly I don't know

You should take a look at the side opposite the paved parking lot at Hacklebarny Other side of the river.Don't know the name of the road but Lamerson road intersects near the first "hunters" parking lot.Never biked there but I kayak the Black and there are trails heading in from lots and along the river. South to Pottersville from the lots and North of Lamerson the trail picks up at the mill on the some times dirt road and will take you to Kays enviro center and ?Patriots Path?

Mike

mtbr member
    May 2005
    the two other sections of PP that i know of are both along the black river. one you pick up off of pleasant hill road (in chester) which is a stretch that jus goes along the river and to no where. the other is on furnace road (also in Chester) where it crosses. i've seen folks on bikes on the furnace road section once or twice. the attached link confirms that as of now, these two sections are stand alone.

this should help you:

http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/ne...long_trail.htm

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bonefishjake
    the two other sections of PP that i know of are both along the black river. one you pick up off of pleasant hill road (in chester) which is a stretch that jus goes along the river and to no where. the other is on furnace road (also in Chester) where it crosses. i've seen folks on bikes on the furnace road section once or twice. the attached link confirms that as of now, these two sections are stand alone.

this should help you:

http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/ne...long_trail.htm

perfect, thanks for the help!