mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Gluten Free Pizza available near Wawayanda and Diablo

Hi NJ bikers,

I am not a business owner, just a regular mom in Sussex County who mtb's and is super busy taking care of kids who have celiac disease. It is really hard to feed them...anyone who also has it knows what I mean. It is especially hard to eat "on the go" with celiac.

Recently, the owner of a Little Anthony's pizzeria in Vernon NJ, (near A&P)(www.littleanthonyspizza.com) agreed to start making Gluten Free (GF) pizza. This is a huge , huge boost to anyone in the area with celiac. it is really important to the gluten free community that we show Little Anthony's that we appreciate them taking this step.

If you have celiac, or know anyone who does, please go eat pizza at Little Anthony's! I am posting here, because Little Anthony's is very close to several great mtb venues; Mountain Creek /Diablo, and Wawyanda State Park. To speak for my own family, it is very difficult to go mtb-ing, we always have to bring tons of food for the day or stay close to home (boring!) . Having this pizza available now makes Vernon an outstanding destination for anyone on a GF diet who wants to mtb and also have a bite to eat afterwards.

Again -- I repeat, I am not connected with Little Anthony's or any business. I am just looking out for my kids' best interest. It is in my kids' interest as well as the celiac community, to help make this GF pizza launch a success. Thanks for reading. If you know someone with celiac, please send them this post. It may seem like "advertising" to those who don't have celiac, but trust me...it is a hot tip for those who do. ANyone who deals with celiac knows what huge news this is. It can make or break an outing, knowing you can just stop nearby and get a bite. Vernon NJ is now celiac friendly!!!

(now if we could only find some GF food near Kittatinny....)

Heidi C

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Know of anyplace with gluten free beer to go with that pizza? I know they're made, just hard to find.
    AS

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Oh, wow GF beer, now that is an entirely new frontier. I would suggest going to your local GF pizza place, whichever one that may be (of course I recommend Little Anthony's :-)), ordering the pizza a few times and then describing your plight to the owner. If any of them sell beer in the first place, I would guess they could order a case of the GF stuff and keep it around to go with the pizza.

I am trying to think,,,,do any of these places even sell beer at all of any kind? I will check and report back. Also, the biggest, most restaurant-ish pizza place that I have seen, that sells the GF pizza woudl be Calabira in Livingston. That one is the most like a sit down place with a large dining room, I am guessing they woudl be most likely to have beer.

If you want to check it out, go to www.stillridingpizza.com and see if any of the locations ring a bell, they list all of their pizzerias on the site.

stay healthy -- HEIDI

FIX IT YOURSELF
    Gluten free is for the weak
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

mtbr member
    May 2005

GF Beer

There are a number of GF beers available. They are typically brewed with sorghum, and they are not too bad at all. Redbridge is the one I like best. Any of the Gary's stores will order it for you.

http://www.garyswine.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yeah, I tried the GF beer a few times. It seems OK. Good to know that Gary's can get it.

I also like the Warwick Valley Black Dirt Red with gf pizza.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I cant see how they could actually make a gluten free pizza my wife cant walk into a pizza place without getting sick from just the flour in the air but I do stop there often after rides so I'll order one and bring it home to her ..just to try it out

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hi, I know what you mean. Some people are really senstive and something as small as one crumb will make them ill for days. Others do not show their illness outright, but suffer subclinical damage form being lgutened.

I think the best bet for you...I would hate to be the cause of a problem....would be to check out the pizza company's website. www.stillridingpizza.com Read a little more about how they set up the pizza and see if you and/or your wife are comfortable with that. They do send a special tray for the pizza to be cooked on, so it never touches the surface of the traditional oven.

I hope it works out for your family. We have had the pizza twice with no cross contamination problem. However, CC is not often an issue for us. Conversely I have a friend whose daughter is celiac + type 1 Diabetic. If this girl gets glutened , it unbalances her and effects her blood sugar to the point of a life threatening spike. :-(

A wake up call to how important CC is. Good luck. HEIDI