Thread: Freeride?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Freeride?

Are there any light freeride trails around central and northern jersey?I usually do XC and AM but i want to check out free ride just for fun.Any trails around my hardtail can handle?

banned
    WHat's your definition of "freeride"?

What kind of rig are you using?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Like tons of jumps and ramps and stuff.
    I have a stock 2008 gary fisher piranha.

banned
    How big are the jumps?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I don't know,beginner sized

banned
    I asked because I already did look and see what model bike you have and epidemic to the sport are people who overstate what they really ride because it looks cooler or makes them look more hardcore. In fact, a guy came over to my house some months ago to buy a 100mm pure XC fork. He said "Yeah, this looks good enough for me...I ride XC, but I like to get into freeride with riding over the branches and doing 1-2 footers and I also get into some DH". He also told me where he rode, and the biggest elevation was 30 feet.

So as a beginner, I'm giving you strong advice to properly state what you do because of this fact. You're not going to make friends here, or on the trails by inflating your riding style. There is no shame in being an XC rider. Better yet, you might do more technical stuff, or could get into trail riding, but in no way, shape, or form, should you consider yourself a "freerider" or be doing freeride on that type of a bike (answers your question). I also intimately know Pa and NJ trails.

And "beginner sized" doesn't mean much when someone is trying to assess something for you for the sake of your own safety. You might not realize it now, but a question like this is also a matter of your safety. What if you get routed to a park where it's unridable because you were recommended something outside of your riding ability and bike's design parameters? What if you get in over your head?

Hell, my gf and I are on FR frames built with light parts and we have 150+mm of travel and we still call ourselves XCers, however, the trails we do will break many people, at the same time, break bikes with no air. It's all relative. There is "extremely technical" XC out there, there's also "trail", but going within the design parameters of your bike, as you asked, you're better served by staying on XC trails, doing light jumps (1-2 footers at most), and some roots and rocks, but nothing insane. That's what it was designed for.

banned
    NJ Park system doesnt allow for freeride trails. You will have to try Diablo freeride park for that sort of riding. and they do have begginer level trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yeah, head to Diablo, rent a bike there you wont regret it. Your own bike will end up in the recylcling bin if you bring it.
    Hit the Green trails and feel out your abilities and confindence. Ask other riders for tips on trails and technique. From there you can move on to the other trails. Go on a weekday when its less crowded and you will have a great time freeriding.
    The fact is that if you are riding in NJ you are most likely riding xc, not freeriding (unless you are at Diablo).
    It is a great place to go and get a feel for that type of riding, and there is PLENTY of room to grow there. And it beyond fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I asked because I already did look and see what model bike you have and epidemic to the sport are people who overstate what they really ride because it looks cooler or makes them look more hardcore. In fact, a guy came over to my house some months ago to buy a 100mm pure XC fork. He said "Yeah, this looks good enough for me...I ride XC, but I like to get into freeride with riding over the branches and doing 1-2 footers and I also get into some DH". He also told me where he rode, and the biggest elevation was 30 feet.

So as a beginner, I'm giving you strong advice to properly state what you do because of this fact. You're not going to make friends here, or on the trails by inflating your riding style. There is no shame in being an XC rider. Better yet, you might do more technical stuff, or could get into trail riding, but in no way, shape, or form, should you consider yourself a "freerider" or be doing freeride on that type of a bike (answers your question). I also intimately know Pa and NJ trails.

And "beginner sized" doesn't mean much when someone is trying to assess something for you for the sake of your own safety. You might not realize it now, but a question like this is also a matter of your safety. What if you get routed to a park where it's unridable because you were recommended something outside of your riding ability and bike's design parameters? What if you get in over your head?

Hell, my gf and I are on FR frames built with light parts and we have 150+mm of travel and we still call ourselves XCers, however, the trails we do will break many people, at the same time, break bikes with no air. It's all relative. There is "extremely technical" XC out there, there's also "trail", but going within the design parameters of your bike, as you asked, you're better served by staying on XC trails, doing light jumps (1-2 footers at most), and some roots and rocks, but nothing insane. That's what it was designed for.
    Wow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MEWISEMAGIC
    Yeah, head to Diablo, rent a bike there you wont regret it. Your own bike will end up in the recylcling bin if you bring it.
    Hit the Green trails and feel out your abilities and confindence. Ask other riders for tips on trails and technique. From there you can move on to the other trails. Go on a weekday when its less crowded and you will have a great time freeriding.
    The fact is that if you are riding in NJ you are most likely riding xc, not freeriding (unless you are at Diablo).
    It is a great place to go and get a feel for that type of riding, and there is PLENTY of room to grow there. And it beyond fun.
    Agreed, but wanted to point out that Diablo is now only open weekends for the rest of the season unfortunately.

pro
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt
    Wow.
    agreed

pedalhead
    I am improperly stating that I am a professional freerider. Anyone want to help me illegally build some sweet jumps this weekend on State Park land?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveVt
    Wow.

agreed

- WOW - JUST WOW...

mtbr member
    lol you guys scared him away it looks like.
    I like to ride bikes fast.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Don't listen to all that yap. What your bike does blah blah blah. Yea, the dude is right about what bikes are designed to do, but it doesn't mean you can't. You own the bike you can ride whatever the hell you want. Some of us don't have a few grand to spend a bike designed for FR riding but still want to get the thrills. No need to get in the man's throat.

I went to diable with a f-ing sports authority mongoose. I took all the beginner trails. My bike lasted no problems. I crashed a few times, but I wore gear. Just get geared up if you intend to hit some FR stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hook up with some local trail builders and suggest them and help add elements to your local trials like log rides, a few jumps and drops.

banned
    I like turtles.

mtbr member
    Has anyone ever stumbled upon the downhill trail in Ramapo SF? It looks like it has been out of use for a few years, but it doesn't look like it would take much work to clear it off. It's a relatively short trail 200-300 yards. There are about 8 obsticles on the trail including a sizable drop (10 feet).

Jersey Hucker
    Does anyone have some FR trails they hit when Diablo isn't open? I've got a yakuza Aniki so my bike can take some serious stuff. I heard that there may be building on skyline drive.

mtbr member
    There is another trail that I found. Lots of gaps and a couple of rock gardens. Again It looks like it hasn't been used in a few years.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Check out Kilmer Reserve near Rutgers in New Brunswick. I moved to FL 4 years ago, but we had some nice jumps, stunts and logrides in there. Also a decent xc loop is in there too. Hope some of it is still there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eclark7
    Check out Kilmer Reserve near Rutgers in New Brunswick. I moved to FL 4 years ago, but we had some nice jumps, stunts and logrides in there. Also a decent xc loop is in there too. Hope some of it is still there.
    It is still there, though most of the stunts and jumps are in decay. Someone burned a few of the ladders into the log rides too. There is an effort underway to get some kind of official TM thing going and hopefully those sections will get some attention.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Vasser college,909 in pougheepsie

There are some really good trail in Vasser college,and 909 its a park off one of the roads uop there.. lookmit up and you can get there ,