mtbr member
    Jul 2012

first timer looking for some help

Hi guys I just bought my bike and im looking to do some riding in north jersey. I would like to go somewhere easy for my first ride im trying to get back into shape so im looking for somewhere without to many hills any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Wawayanda has some fast and fun singletrack, in addition to challenging rock gardens.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Is it first timer friendly

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    nobody has any ideas

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I don't know about N. Jersey and no hills..... But from a starter/ newbie stand point I would look at Lewis Morris. There are some hills but nothing technical. I would also look at 6 mile res, and Allaire State Park if you are willing to drive a bit for easier trails.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Mercer county park has some easy trails. U can go on mercer county parks and print a map very easy

mtbr member
    It's hard to find trails in N Jersey without any hills. If you want to stay in N Jersey, I would suggest Kittatinny State Park. Relatively flat with some smaller punchy climbs and some rocks mixed in. As suggested earlier, you may want to travel a bit south to 6 Mile. Very beginner friendly. There is also a group ride every Tuesday night (6pm) at Allaire State Park. That is farther south, but the JORBA team that supports that park is on thier game.

PM me if you want any tours of Kittatinny State Park or Deer Park, both of which would be ideal.
    Nothing really witty to say..........

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    There's one in Emerson but it's really small and meh. You got saddle river park in saddle brook but that's on pavement with a few little off the road pieces (good to keep in shape and if the other trails still have puddles after a lot of rain). I'm from northern NJ too but my go to place is 6 mile run.

edit - actually there's Hiltop and Mills but i haven't been there yet

Hilltop Reservation New Jersey Trail Reviews

Mills Reservation New Jersey Trail Reviews

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I started in Deer Park, which is a little more beginner friendly then some other areas. Depending on the trails there are some hills but nothing my out of shape self couldn't handle. Once you get past the first couple of rides, you'll notice progress and get better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Lewis Morris is a good option. It will require you to use all your gears and if you stay south of Rt 24 you can avoid the steeper terrain

'Tis but a scratch
    I think your lack of responses is due to the fact you are looking for easier stuff. There are some challenging places to ride in North Jersey.

You might like Mahlon Dickerson Reservation, although it does have some challenging sections once you get to know your way around a little. I have discovered something new each trip there.

If you just go poke around this web site you will find a listing of many places with a description, directions and many have maps too.

Trail Directory | JORBA - You Dig?

Another option (in New York) that has tons of XC single-track is Stewart State Forest in Newburgh, NY. More info at this site:

Stewards of Stewart

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have been out to some local places and found I did better then I tought I would. I have been to hill top a few times and its not to bad I just didnt want to get in over my head first time out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pete1p View Post
    I have been out to some local places and found I did better then I tought I would. I have been to hill top a few times and its not to bad I just didnt want to get in over my head first time out.
    We've all been there, just have to be aware of weather and trail conditions, ride in preparation for the worst.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Both Kittatinny and Stewart are great places to learn. The hills are all short. Mahlon has a flat rail bed to connect some trails. It is ok to walk if you ever feel you are over your head. That is part of learning at most levels. It is an awesome sport and worth exploring!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pete1p View Post
    Ive been riding for a about a month and a half. Started out at deer park.. have ridden some Stevens and mooch north is next on my list. The hardest for me has been the cardio on climbs, especially when combined with more technical climbs, but I figure the only way to get over that is to keep on getting out there. You can always walk.. no shame in that, I have had to walk over an obstacle here or there so far.