Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007

First Time Riding Allaire

I'll be hitting Allaire for the first time next week - I got what looks to be a real good map from MTBNJ.com

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/attachmen...7&d=1098236012

any areas to hit? any areas to avoid (sand pits perhaps)?

Anyone know if its cool to ride with (well trained) dogs there, weather permitting?

thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

cool map

never been there before.....but from others tell me, the time to go is in the fall or winter when the ground hardens up. I could be very wrong though since i've never been there.

mtbr member
    Stay around the outer portions of that map. The inner parts get more sandy. The area heading out to the right facing into the lot is pretty cool, follow it down to the stream edge and follow the stream. The trail near the golf course is cool (tiger woods i believe). I went with a guide once that showed me an area that figure 8'd around a couple of swamps that i never found on my own. That was cool too. Possibly the bog area on that map?

Make sure you park at Hospital Rd lot. This place is the easiest MTB trail i've ridden in NJ in terms of hills/endurance.

mtbnj.com
    When do you plan on going? If schedule permits, I could give you a tour if you want. It would be alot better than trying to read that map, although its an ok map.

As lawndart said, I think Allaire is best enjoyed in the fall and winter when the ground stiffens up a bit and the sand areas are a non issue. With a good loop, you can easily get a good 12 mile ride in and see all the good stuff.

Let me know if you're interested, we can set something up. Honestly, if you go by yourself, you may not find alot of the good trails.
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks - I'll be down at LBI all next week - was thinking of going tuesday or wednesday morning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiki21
    Thanks - I'll be down at LBI all next week - was thinking of going tuesday or wednesday morning.
    Allaire is a great place ride there once/twice a week. I would like to ride there with you guys but I have work. I could ride Friday morning if you are still around. Checked out your profile I'm from Jersey City right next to you.

Paul
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Ooooh. I live in Weehawken. I have been trying to find some locals to ride with. If you guys ride not too early on the weekends, we should hook up for some rides. Although i can't come close to owning either, I have been frequenting Allamuchy, and Ringwood.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian
    Ooooh. I live in Weehawken. I have been trying to find some locals to ride with. If you guys ride not too early on the weekends, we should hook up for some rides. Although i can't come close to owning either, I have been frequenting Allamuchy, and Ringwood.
    I rode Ringwood for the first time this past Sunday and I had a great time. It would be nice to ride there again, it would save gasoline if we carpool also. I've never been to Allamuchy so it would be nice to have a tour guide. I know Hartshorne and Allaire really well since those are the trails I ride during the week.

Paul

mtbr member
    I've been riding Ringwood alot this summer and feeel I have a decent knowledge of the layout but I'm sure there is a ton more I haven't found. I usually try to get on the road by 9-10 am - would be interested in sharing trail knowledge and driving duties.

Like I said, will be down the beach for the next two weekends but could try to arrange something for mid late sept.

mtbr member
    FYI - Tiki21 = Clubber Lang
    got sick of my original screen name.

mtbr member
    Mid-late Sept sounds good. I know my way around Allamuchy relatively well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubber Lang
    I've been riding Ringwood alot this summer and feeel I have a decent knowledge of the layout but I'm sure there is a ton more I haven't found. I usually try to get on the road by 9-10 am - would be interested in sharing trail knowledge and driving duties.

Like I said, will be down the beach for the next two weekends but could try to arrange something for mid late sept.
    I will be riding Allaire on Thursday (08/30/07) starting at 5:00. I will be riding with my girlfriend and co-worker so we will not be riding fast at all and probably a lot of stopping because its my g/f first time using clipless pedals

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tiki21
    I'll be hitting Allaire for the first time next week - I got what looks to be a real good map from MTBNJ.com

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/attachmen...7&d=1098236012

any areas to hit? any areas to avoid (sand pits perhaps)?

Anyone know if its cool to ride with (well trained) dogs there, weather permitting?

thanks
    I agree with the folks who said fall/winter is the best. Riding in sand was not the big issue for me. It's what it did to my bike . The "screeching" I hear from my chain and in/around the BB area obviously because of the sand really bothered me. No matter what kind of cleaning I do, it was still there. Replacing fixed it for the chain.

mtbr member
    Is it that bad? I'd rather not F up my bike, would be nice to get a ride in on my vacation though.

JORBA
    NO....I ride there almost daily and don't go through more chains because of it. If you end up in deep sand , you are on the wrong trail. Plenty of trails there with little sand. Ride with someone who really knows the place and then form your own opinion.
    Frank Harms
    JORBA President
    frank at jorba.org

banned
    I was riding there one time and my bike completely disintegrated - then it turned into sand. Other than that one experience, Allaire is definatly worth checking out. Best thing to do is hook up with someone that knows the trails.

JORBA
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat tyres
    I was riding there one time and my bike completely disintegrated - then it turned into sand.
    It was that virus your bike caught from the rain forrest.
    Frank Harms
    JORBA President
    frank at jorba.org

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Btw

Both Allaire and Hartshorne seem to have really recovered well from the recent rain damage. Looking much better.

JORBA
    Quote Originally Posted by mmuller
    Both Allaire and Hartshorne seem to have really recovered well from the recent rain damage. Looking much better.
    And you can thank the volunteers, like yourself, who bust arse to help the recovery.
    Frank Harms
    JORBA President
    frank at jorba.org

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I feel bad I missed the tm, but NH was calling me... I'm going to try to get out this weekend. What area(s) got the tlc last weekend?
    I love my mtb. It helps me see the world in beautiful colors. Like brown, blue, brown, blue, brown, blue...

JORBA
    did some work on Tiger woods and other spots throughout the park. Still got some excess sand at Allaire beach but will tackle that this month.Plotted a little re-route near the SW pit that should be nice.......now we just have to get to it.
    Frank Harms
    JORBA President
    frank at jorba.org

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I haven't been to Tiger Woods since after the skills clinic. I'll have to get back over there and check it out. I should be able to make the TM on the 16th.
    I love my mtb. It helps me see the world in beautiful colors. Like brown, blue, brown, blue, brown, blue...

JORBA
    Quote Originally Posted by crash_in_nj
    I haven't been to Tiger Woods since after the skills clinic. I'll have to get back over there and check it out. I should be able to make the TM on the 16th.
    cool
    Frank Harms
    JORBA President
    frank at jorba.org

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I just got back from a 4 hour tour. The re-route on Tiger Woods is pretty nice. We went out and back on Tiger Woods, hit the cola trail, wandered around a bit on the orange trail, then crossed the road and did some more wandering. It was a great ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crash_in_nj
    I just got back from a 4 hour tour. The re-route on Tiger Woods is pretty nice. We went out and back on Tiger Woods, hit the cola trail, wandered around a bit on the orange trail, then crossed the road and did some more wandering. It was a great ride.
    just wondering, where's the cola trail?, also could anyone shed some insight on the car wreck?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast