Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

A few questions about the 2009 24 hrs at Allamuchy

I registered in the solo class and will riding SS. What is the course like (elevation change, rocks, roots, etc)? Second question is about the no alcohol policy due to the fact that its on boy scout property. Is this a strictly enforced policy or can you be quiet about it? I think I'm going to have a hell of a time getting a support group up there if they have to stay sober the whole time haha.

mtbr member
    The course averages about 1,000 feet of climbing per lap. Each lap is around the 10 mile mark in distance. The course changes from year to year, so its hard to give specifics. The alcohol policy is strictly enforced, if found I believe the entire team and associated support crew is told to pack up and leave immediately. I also would not want to have to drag all of the beer into the woods, its probably a good quarter mile or more from the unload zone to most campsites.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Not to mention potentially ruining it for everyone else. Please don't load up!

mtbr member
    Not an issue dude, no worries. I had a few additional questions and checked the race website. I would like to come up and get a look at the area before the race, but the FAQ's stated its only open during the weekend of the race?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The race course starts and ends on BSA property, though the majority of the course runs through Allamuchy SP. You can ride the park to your hearts content and get a pretty good idea of what to expect. You could also visit MTBNJ.com and pose the same question over there. I'm sure you'll get more info than you care to know.

mtbr member
    mtbnj website also has directions to the Allamuchy trailheads. The place you want to ride is Allamuchy North either from the Waterloo of Tranquility lot. There is a lot of trail in there so you'll only get a sample of the terrain at best. You won't be able to scout the course.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Just remember to bring a rain poncho. It's been dry for the last few years but you never know at that race

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Definitely!
    It was very dry last year but torrential each of the 4 years prior. Freekin' scary lightning some years, especially outside on a bike or in your tent when it lights up like high noon but it is really 3AM!

mtbr member

allamuchy

do you have a goal for the ride (other than down a few brewskies)

i was thinking about this (24 hr) ride too. i just upgraded my giant fx, rear d.r. and thinking about new crank, do they have compact in the world of mtb? just upgrades shifters too, even though the general consensus on this forum was don't waste your money on that p.o.s.

anyways i ride in allamuchy south (riding there again soon), from what i understand the north side (area of the race) is significantly harder than the south (deer park) section

on the mtbnj.com, folks partner up (for the race). i have 2 sets of nite rider light, but i think they peter out after about 5 hours i am not sure (if i use one then they other) have the minewt dual and the usb helmet lite

good luck with the race!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm actually thinking of just entering solo and riding with some people and eating/caping etc. Not sure if I have the desire in me to make it a race.

However, I think MT Snow is the same weekend as Allamuchy again. This year I believe Snow is going to be set up more like it was in the old days. XC, DH, DS/4X(whatever they are calling it these days) I always loved going up for the NORBA events in the 90's. decisions decisions!

mtbr member

hell in a bucket

sounds like a plan, but i think this race you get like 2 buckets to stick all your crap in, i guess you can keep more at the camp site

me my goal, would be to get in 100 miles (century)

i don't have camping crap, unles they let me tow my avion (like air stream ) camper on humher down for a few days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnj
    I'm actually thinking of just entering solo and riding with some people and eating/caping etc. Not sure if I have the desire in me to make it a race.

However, I think MT Snow is the same weekend as Allamuchy again. This year I believe Snow is going to be set up more like it was in the old days. XC, DH, DS/4X(whatever they are calling it these days) I always loved going up for the NORBA events in the 90's. decisions decisions!
    Allamuchy is August 21-22-23, Mount Snow is August 8, 9.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MixMastaMM
    Allamuchy is August 21-22-23, Mount Snow is August 8, 9.
    OH great! maybe I was thinking of last year? dunno.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Allamuchy is always on my birthday .....save room fore cake??

mtbr member

leo's rock allamuchy

sup peeps:

i'll be up for some birthday cake as my b'day is august 12th

i'm slated to volunteer for silvermine, but i think is before 8-21

be that as it may, pencil me in for 100 miles of allamuchiness sans brewskies

now i don't feels so bac putting x.9 rear d.r, new cluster, new chain x.7 & x.9 shifters on my p.o.s. yukon fx, if my only mtb race this year is mtn man (again) i almost could resurect my rigid raleigh glacier

here's the fx last fall with the map,

now all i need is some one to dare me to do the mud maraton on 5-2-09

May 2, 2009 8:00 am start for marathon / relay
    10:30 am start for Half Marathon
    12:00 Noon start for Quarter Marathon

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    it will rain. plan for copious crotch rot, flooding, noahs ark style, and mudbogging.

were done with allamuchy 24 hrs...

and yes- it was dry LAST year.....mark my words. It will rain!

mtbr member

mud race

this other race is booked as a mudd event

http://sites.google.com/site/xxctrai.../muddymarathon

Muddy Marathon - Officially ON

May 2, 2009 8:00 am start for marathon / relay
    10:30 am start for Half Marathon
    12:00 Noon start for Quarter Marathon

Post race refreshments sponsored by Cricket Hill Brewery
    Pre race and on course drinks sponsored by Hammer Nutrition

The trail course is 6.55 Miles which begins inside Craigmeur Recreation Complex, running through wooded paths, old ski trails and open fields. It then transitions through non-blazed trails into the woods to meet up with the Four Birds Trail. It follows this Trail up the ridge and for approximately 2 miles before switching over to another non-blazed path in a return route to Craigmeur. The course will be marked with flour, water based spray chalk, survey flags and live volunteers. 2 water / aid points, one approximately at 1.8 miles and the second at approximately 5 miles. There is also food and aid at the start finish area.

There is a cut off of 2 hours per loop

This is NOT a trail race for beginning trail runners. You will run through water, mud, over rocks, possibly over downed trees, on blazed trails and also areas where there is no trail. The course will be so well marked that a second grader could follow trail, but it will not be easy. Walkers WILL NOT finish the course in under 2 hours / loop.

photos taken by Dawn Becko (Daily Record)

The Muddy Marathon starts at 8:00AM. Four loops of the delightfully scenic course. More marathon info--please read FAQs. The cut of two hours is per loop, not a total of 8 hours for the entire marathon.

The Marathon Relay starts at 8:00 AM. This allows people to form 2 or 4 person teams to complete the marathon distance. The transition area is directly in front of the start finish area.

The Half-Marathon starts at 10:30 AM. Two loops of the delightfully scenic course.

The Quarter - Marathon starts at 12:00 PM. One loop of 6.55 miles (approximate, not USATF certified).

Day of Registration begins at 7:00am but does not include a shirt.

If you want a shirt send in your money early.

All races start and finish at the pavilion at the Craigmeur Recreation Complex. The loop is not USATF certified, but we measured it and it is at least the distance we advertise.

This event happens rain or shine --be prepared for anything!

The park has toilets, covered pavilion, picnic tables, kids' playground, plenty of parking.... Bring lawn chairs or blankets to relax after you're done running!

Local Directions - 1175 Green Pond Road, Newfoundland, NJ 07435
    Easily Accessible to Route 23, 80 and 287. Route 80 West to exit 37 (Rockaway - Hibernia), left onto Route 513 North(Green Pond Road). Proceed nine and 1/2 miles to Craigmeur. Or Route 23 North to Green Pond Exit. Take jug handle across highway and take Route 23 South for one hundred yards. Turn right at exit for Green Pond. Proceed two miles to Craigmeur.
    i'm riding allamuch sunay 4-19 and yes it calls for rain

i ussually do the easy side of allamuchy the deer park section since i am a city kid new to mtb
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7257647

so the mudd marathon & 24 hours of allamuchy are on my to do list! (may not be ready for them this year, but I hope to be able to, that's why i like to train, and maybe one day...)

be that as it may, there are serious racers at mountain man, one cat was peeved his rear d.r. had technical and he got dreaded d.n.f., he his serious trail runner and mtb, so wtf if i am a yaho, now i have x.9. rear d.r. even though every mtb i asked, let the podss, bust replace, or just buy better bike dumkuff!?!!?

mtbr member
    I havent checked this thread in a while, but it seems that I should expect rain haha. I'm thinking my goal is a century, but that may change depending on how the training goes. I have partnered up with others for some 12 hr races, so if anyone is looking to do this I would not be opposed to it. I was planning on just bringing a few friends as a support crew. I should be finished rebuild the bike I plan to race here shortly and plan on driving up to check the area out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainwop77
    I havent checked this thread in a while, but it seems that I should expect rain haha. I'm thinking my goal is a century, but that may change depending on how the training goes. I have partnered up with others for some 12 hr races, so if anyone is looking to do this I would not be opposed to it. I was planning on just bringing a few friends as a support crew. I should be finished rebuild the bike I plan to race here shortly and plan on driving up to check the area out.

That is a pretty lofty goal. 10 laps is a feat.

Portions of the race course are on a local Boy Scout Camp. The Camp is closed to riding, except during the race. There are plenty of people in the area that would be able to show you around and avoid the camp.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MixMastaMM
    That is a pretty lofty goal. 10 laps is a feat.

Solo winners usually hit the 18-20 mark. if you do 2 laps each outing and if my math is correct you only have to go out 5 times in 24 hours.

I couldn't do it.

mtbr member
    What's this all about? I want to do it!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    not sure I understand but I think you mean if someone is going to complete 20 laps at 2 laps per outing, you would need to do 10 "outings", not 5.

I have been on a 2-man team the past few years, last year I recall we completed a total of 17 laps (I did 9 and my team mate did 8), we came in 3rd place.

mtbr member

16th Annual 24 Hours of Allamuchy August 21-22-23, 2009

What's this all about? I want to do it!
    http://www.24hoursofallamuchy.com/
    16th Annual 24 Hours of Allamuchy August 21-22-23, 2009

24-Hour Mountain Bike Race for solo riders and relay teams. For both competitive and just recreational riders. Wilderness setting deep in the woods and mountains of northwestern New Jersey. 10-mile loop repeated ?? times. One of the most varied and enjoyable mountain bike courses in the USA!

Discount Entry Fees Available Before May 1:

SOLO - $125, 2-PERSON: $250, 4-PERSON: $460, 5-PERSON: $575, CORPORATE: $900

View a complete list of race fees

Register online at Active.com ~ Download a paper form ~ Read the rules
    After cycling the south of allamuchy (deer park section) 3 times, I'm ready for the north side, even though the scout camp is closed, the terrain must be similiar to the race course, yet harder than deer park from what I understand.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hammarhead
    not sure I understand but I think you mean if someone is going to complete 20 laps at 2 laps per outing, you would need to do 10 "outings", not 5.

I have been on a 2-man team the past few years, last year I recall we completed a total of 17 laps (I did 9 and my team mate did 8), we came in 3rd place.
    Is a 'century' 10 laps or 20? I thought it was 10.

well regardless 10 or 20 I could not do either on that course in 24 hours. I could squeak out 8 at most.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast