mtbr member
    May 2005

Feedback from LBS's and Customers Please

Let's say I buy a frame from a friend, ebay or online store. Do LBS employees/managers mind pressing the headset and performing other preparatory steps required to build up a bike? Would buying the headset/bearings, new cables etc be adequate to make everyone happy? I never know if the LBS feels put off by these situations or not. Thanks in advance for the replies...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Hmmmm....

I am sure someone will flame me for this, but I will try anyway....

At my shop (only mine, can't speak for others) we get this type of request all the time. Normally, the less info you give, the better. No need to walk in saying "I got this great deal on ebay, WAY better than any shop!" type of thing. Just say you need a headset pressed in, and pay the going rate if you feel it is fair. Realize that the tools required are VERY expensive, and you are paying for 1) The tool usage & 2) the mechanics time and knowledge.

Basically, as long as people pay for parts and/or services provided, that should make everyone happy. If someone is still not happy after you buy some stuff, then they have issues....

Here is some added insight....It is not the act of people buying stuff online that tends to bug shops. I have friends and former shop employees that get some great deals online, and it is fine with me. It is the people that ask a bunch of questions of the shop employees, taking up their time, then buying it online. Or walking into a shop that you frequent with an online purchase and expecting them to install it free or really cheap because you buy OTHER stuff there. Or (my favorite) the guy who picks your brain for a bunch of info, then comes by to show you the part that he got cheaper, and wants to rub your nose in it. Or the guy who starts off the conversation with how much he knows about bikes, but wants to know "what those 2 screws on the back of my new derailleur do", and is peeved that I won't show him and/or tell him. THAT's the type of stuff that could lead to problems....

Just use the old adage to do unto others....be cool with the shop guys, and they should reciprocate back accordingly.

www.jorba.org
    Quote Originally Posted by Cfrone1
    I am sure someone will flame me for this, but I will try anyway....

At my shop (only mine, can't speak for others) we get this type of request all the time. Normally, the less info you give, the better. No need to walk in saying "I got this great deal on ebay, WAY better than any shop!" type of thing. Just say you need a headset pressed in, and pay the going rate if you feel it is fair. Realize that the tools required are VERY expensive, and you are paying for 1) The tool usage & 2) the mechanics time and knowledge.

Basically, as long as people pay for parts and/or services provided, that should make everyone happy. If someone is still not happy after you buy some stuff, then they have issues....

Here is some added insight....It is not the act of people buying stuff online that tends to bug shops. I have friends and former shop employees that get some great deals online, and it is fine with me. It is the people that ask a bunch of questions of the shop employees, taking up their time, then buying it online. Or walking into a shop that you frequent with an online purchase and expecting them to install it free or really cheap because you buy OTHER stuff there. Or (my favorite) the guy who picks your brain for a bunch of info, then comes by to show you the part that he got cheaper, and wants to rub your nose in it. Or the guy who starts off the conversation with how much he knows about bikes, but wants to know "what those 2 screws on the back of my new derailleur do", and is peeved that I won't show him and/or tell him. THAT's the type of stuff that could lead to problems....

Just use the old adage to do unto others....be cool with the shop guys, and they should reciprocate back accordingly.
    That is really really great advice (above). If anyone flames you for that, *they* have issues!

p.s. you'd think the above would be common sense, but I've seen people do exactly what you say above and being a business owner and dealing with customers (although not in retail) i really feel for shop owners at times.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I knew this was a common scenario, I just wanted to handle it properly.