a stonewalled jackson
    Aug 2006

Evicted from Brooklyn, Fed up, looking to relocate to Jersey near trails

So looks like I might be getting evicted due to my dogs. Sh!tty situation.

I'm feeling a little fed up with the city anyway, and am considering moving into Jersey to be away from the city mess and near some open space.

I work in west Staten Island, so I was thinking around Allamucky or near Highbridge. I know they're longer commutes, but I'm driving 30min-1hr coming from Brooklyn to Staten anyway.

Any suggestions?

dragonfly
    somerset,nj or new brunswick nj...and take the train in.. we have the best bike shop around bike N gear, 6 mile run trail is here, chimney rock, round valley.. its all good. and you can bike locally on the roads without gettin run over.

FIX IT YOURSELF
    Any of the Brunswicks would do you good...In South Brunswick there is Halter's cycles which is also a great shop
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

a stonewalled jackson
    Aug 2006
    My girlfriend and I are in our late twenties, with no kids. So we'd like something with a bit of a restaurant/bar scene. We're a little past nightly benders, but still like to go out a few times a week.

Brooklyn's been a little bit of a bust. Coming from Asheville NC, a really small city with a lot of bada$$ riding, the city has proved to be a little bit too metropolitan for us.

I read about Morristown, Somerville, and New Brunswick having a bit of a nightlife (by north jersey standards). You guys seem to like the Brunswicks, how about those first two?

Also, what are some of the preferred trails in North Jersey? I've looked at the MTBNJ site (nice btw) but am wondering what takes the cake as far as technical singletrack xc riding.

Appreciate your help.

mtbr member
    Check your PM's

dragonfly
    probably new brunswick or somerset would be your best bet... everything else you are in the middle of nowhere/suburbia

mtbr member
    There have been a couple of other threads in the NJ section here that have asked the same question.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I second the New Brunswick/Sommerset recommendations. Morristown is a great option, but that would add another 30 min to your commute and about $200K to your house.

mtbr member
    If you are in New Brunswick, come down to Hartshorne and I'll show you some of the best mountain biking in Monmouth County. I think it should only be a 20-25 minute drive.

I think New Brunswick is great especially with Rutgers, it is full of night life. I go to school in Drexel Univ. and most of my friends go to Rutgers so I am there a lot.
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

lotto baby
    dude - i live in somerset - right outside new brunswick. its great for restaurants and riding. i can call a cab up to my townhouse (which is easily $100k-$200k cheaper than up north for the same place) and go out in new brunswick all night without worrying about drinking and driving.

plus i'm about 15 minutes from chimney rock, 25 minutes from the sourlands, 20 minutes from six mile, and a quick jaunt to the RU preserve and the RU stadium.

all that and new brunswick is on the northeast corridor line straight into NYC.

i dig living here - i was in NYC myself - i would recommend it for a move to the burbs.
    i spurt in the wind, and the wind drug it