mtbr member

Epic Schmepmic: 45.5 miles Harriman, Ringwood, Ramapo, Hi Mtn, Saddle River park

45.5 Miles in and out of da woods.

For Hi Mtn 4 legal points of entry are

Franklin lakes
    • Reservoir
    • Scioto
    • Dakota Trail

Wayne
    • William Patterson College

Looked like a full moon at the end of the day

This water fall is at the end of scioto in franklin lakes. I think I read hi mt was created millions of years ago from molten lava.
    For me the beauty of Hi Mtn is the flora and wild life which I feel trumps the palatial estates of franklin lakes
    Last edited by jkmacman; 11-04-2009 at 05:26 AM.
    Look to where the river ends, or where the river starts...

mtbr member

The day after...

Epilog: The next day (wed. 11-05-09), I biked back to Sloatsburg on my MTB. This time I took Franklin Tpke straight up and had the wtb all terrainasaurus tires for this 22+ miles ride. About half the distance of the previous days ride, but not nearly half as enjoyable w/o the off-road experience. However could provide insight to a future ride straight up Franklin Tpke and Cannon Ball back.

mtbr member
    Nice ride. How much road, fire road, double and single track?

mtbr member
    • 60% road
    • 20% fire road
    • 10% double track
    • 10% single track

I knew I had a long ride ahead that day. So when I got to shepherd lake, I thought about picking up the end of the race trail, but decided to save my energy.

I had no food on the ride and only one water bottle w/waiximaize and camelback w/water

hi mtn is mostly double track, but there is some single track that may be more suitable for hiking. its not like ringwood where the tell you what each trail is suitable for.

all told i think the ride was about 5.5 hours with an average heart rate of 140 beats and max of 181. The ride back up the following day I have no hr or gps data. But i think I did the 22 miles in about 1.5 hours.

mtbr member
    You missed all of the good stuff in High Mountain. That section over there is boring double track. Nothing to write home about.

mtbr member
    a couple of weeks ago, i did go up near the summit and found some sweet singletrack when i looped back to reservoir dr. over the next few weeks i hope to get a better knowledge of the trails there

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/17632472

this place can be treacherous w/wet leaves & rox