mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Down Hill Road Tour

Hi.

We have just come back from a week downhilling Morzine France. I have started to look into a road trip to east coast United States. I have found places like Diablo, Jiminy, Mount Snow and Hunter but would like some suggestions from locals. Is it possible to do a round trip starting at the easiest and working our way up to the hardest trails. If so in what order should we be looking at doing them. Also places to stay or companies that could organise this would be information gratefully recieved.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Depends on which way your heading but from New Jersey on up I would goto to Diablo, then Jiminy and then Plattekill (Roxbury, New York, in the Catskills). I don't know much about Hunter and Mount Snow has some great races but not many trails to ride other wise. If your more into trail riding than just strictly DH Killington in Vermont can be great also.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Cheers. Any idea how much time I should be thinking about for each resort? Also are there any clubs locally I could contact for help planning my trip. I would guess there will be half a dozen or so of us coming over from England or about 10/14 days.

dontcha?
    Quote Originally Posted by dhsean
    Depends on which way your heading but from New Jersey on up I would goto to Diablo, then Jiminy and then Plattekill (Roxbury, New York, in the Catskills). I don't know much about Hunter and Mount Snow has some great races but not many trails to ride other wise. If your more into trail riding than just strictly DH Killington in Vermont can be great also.

Hope this helps.

Is Jiminy in between Plattekill and Diablo?
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Pass! I am about 3000 miles East!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Downhilling in Europe is different than the east coast. When I was in Morzine, most of the dh runs were fast and smooth and you could do on almost any bike. If you are bringing true DH bike then going to places like Plattekill, Bolton valley and some parts of Diablo will be fine. Platekill is technical like the world cup race courses in Morzine.

I did not find the rutted, rooty, rocky, steep technical DH in Europe, that I did here in the North East. (That excludes Jackass in Verbier)

If you are looking for easier DH with 5 inches or less travel, check out Killington. There is a lot of fun touring there. Whitefice in Lake Placid NY has the biggest vertical drop, but I have not been there. West Mountian (if it is still open) is good for a day. It is a hour north of Albany and good for stop between Plattekill and Killington.

Let us know more of what you want, and we will try to fill you in. If you want the toughtest biking you will ever love, go to Platekill.

later