mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Diablo on a hardtail?

Would Diablo be decent for an intermediate level rider on a XC oriented hardtail? A buddy wants to ride it in a few weeks, and I ride a hardtail 29er. What do you guys think? Do a lot of guys take off the rack light hardtails up to Diablo? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You can ride a hardtail at Diablo but I dont know about an xc hardtail. Go on their website you can rent full suspension dh or freeride bikes. I also have an account on ridemonkey.com and theres a diablo forum there. The guys that ride there almost every day will be able to give you all the info you need, so try ridemonkey too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

ht for DH

I rode a xc hardtail at diablo and also at mt snow in vt. It is possible, but nowhere near the fun you will have on a bike that is made for it. How long is your drive to get there? If you are close, go try the ht for a day, and next time rent a big bike. If you are driving a long way and might not make it back, rent a bike and you and your buddy split time on it. Or even try to go up on a demo day. Imagine the hardest most technical section of downhill in your favorite park, you probably steer and pick through it on your xc bike. On a big bike, you can just point and shoot, even through babyheads etc. Either way, take all the pads you own and have a great time.

dontcha?
    Diablo is making some hardtail/XC friendly trails this year that would be great for a hardtail(Greenhorn is the name of one of the trails).. I'd say go for it! although tailwhips might be kinda tough on a 29er
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    word like the captain said we are building more trails for hardtails.
    I like to ride bikes fast.