Thread: Dark Horse 40

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Dark Horse 40

I have never taken a ride there and wondered if anyone has done this race and what to expect....technical,muddy,lots of climbing? Planning on racing it this weekend.

mtbr member
    I haven't done this race exactly but I've ridden a lot of Stewart. Expect a lot of fast flowy sweet singletrack that is a blast. Technically it is not demanding, and can be slightly hilly depending on the course layout. But the good news is that some of the climbs although steep and loose are short and then the fast stuff starts again. It's really a great place to ride and don't hesitate to do the race. I've heard it's a blast. I'd be doing it myself but I'll be on the west coast this weekend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

It's addicting

Darkhorse 40 is a Great race. Deceivingly fast and flowing,...so much infact, that most riders start off way too fast therefore cramping their second lap. This isn't Allamuchy with its long steep climbs and big rock gardens. It's more like Kittatinny, Allaire, and easier Ringwood stuff all put together. This is a fun race for anyone who wishes to do a epic day ride for the first time or someone who wants to realize they can bike longer than the sport distance. The Hammerheads (Expert and pros) will cover the course in just over 3 1/2 hours. Us sport riders are more like 4 to 6 hours. Beginners would benefit from being a duo team with each rider doing one 20 mile lap. There will be aide stations on the course with water and bananas if I remember correctly. Afterward they serve you BBQ chicken, salad, and drinks. They will have pint glasses, T-shirts, glowing in the dark stickers for your bike and car, and raffles. This is probably the best bike festival feeling time of race in the area.
    TeamBulldog.com Cyclecraft.com Mtbnj.com JORBA.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    sand bagger alert: Darkhorse 40 - mens single speed sport

sport single speed is meant for SPORT riders....competing in the 8 day absa cape epic in South Africa (on a rigid SS), well that's a bit beyond the grasp of a sport racer, I think everyone will agree.....nobody likes a sand bagger.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

???

Quote Originally Posted by qwert
    sand bagger alert: Darkhorse 40 - mens single speed sport

sport single speed is meant for SPORT riders....competing in the 8 day absa cape epic in South Africa (on a rigid SS), well that's a bit beyond the grasp of a sport racer, I think everyone will agree.....nobody likes a sand bagger.
    I'm not sure who you are talking about and I would agree that is sand bagger extrodinare.
    I actually want to try SS sport but will not be there to win but to start experiencing longer races and fun events.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    not going to state the persons name. I was scoping out the pre registered competition & came across a "sport" racer with this impressive race that they participated in. Just wanted to let it be known to fellow single speeders who are partaking in the sport race.

bozizle.....stewart = a fun ass place to ride. if it's dry you'll enjoy the course thoroughly

Recovering
    Using the internet to accuse people of sandbagging is just as bad as actually sandbagging.
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    granted, I know, who am I to judge, but when it's such a blatant disregard for which class you should race. if you can do a mutli day solo endurance race, you shouldn't be racing sport...that's just common sense. Just pisses me off.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I don't see how using the internet to point out someone is sandbagging is anywhere near as bad as being the sandbagger. Maybe you could point out that qwert ought to have done something more than merely complain about it on the net (assuming there is something that can be done). I see cheating kind of like I see theft. Someone who is sandbagging steals your chance to compete in a fair race. I have no problem with someone pointing out before hand that this is going on.
    I love my mtb. It helps me see the world in beautiful colors. Like brown, blue, brown, blue, brown, blue...

Recovering
    A couple points-

1) it was pretty easy to figure out who he's talking about, by comparing results from the cape race with the registered list of the DH40

2) one google search for that persons name turned up both their work phone number and their e-mail, so if someone really had a serious issue, they certainly could have contacted that person directly

3) a search on USA Cycling also returned the fact that the accused "sandbagger" holds a USA Cycling yearly license. Anyone want to bet what class USA Cycling has him listed in?

4) according to the USA Cycling site, that person's racing age is 49 years old. So, honestly, you're accusing a 49 year old man of sandbagging by not racing a bunch of 20 and 30-something expert singlespeeders?

I don't know the guy, but c'mon, throwing accusations out on the internet without knowing the whole story is pretty lame. The H2H series promoters and USA Cycling are good about mandatory upgrades for people who consistently win in Beginner and sport, so why get worked up about it? Concentrate on your own race, and let the chips fall where they may. Complaining doesn't make *you* faster.

it's just baby phat..
    Quote Originally Posted by crash_in_nj
    I don't see how using the internet to point out someone is sandbagging is anywhere near as bad as being the sandbagger. Maybe you could point out that qwert ought to have done something more than merely complain about it on the net (assuming there is something that can be done). I see cheating kind of like I see theft. Someone who is sandbagging steals your chance to compete in a fair race. I have no problem with someone pointing out before hand that this is going on.
    is it just me or is this being taken way too seriously? it's not like this is a high ranking race on the UCI calendar. if there were a pro purse involved with tv coverage that might give sponsors some return on their investement i would understand but really, it's just a sport rider that will eventually get bumped up if he finished high up there anyway. i frankly don't care if anybody is sandbagging or not..i'll be going to have fun..

okay, gotta go, late for my blood transfusion and EPO session.

nelson

abc
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    A more practical matter.

Will the course be marked ahead of time so people can test ride it to see what they're getting themselves into? ;o)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    marked as of sunday

Shut up and ride
    its been raining all night/morning up here in Albany, will the course dry by Sunday?

me = darkhorse virgin, expert, & I will be racing for not last!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    the course is going to be awesome by sunday. Packed down and fast.

I can pray right?
    I ride a singlespeed because it's harder.

mtbr member

Conditions

Anyone riding up there today? If so, please post on the conditions. Need to know what tires to wear tomorrow.

Thanks,

(Non Carpet Bagging Dark Horse Fan)
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." -- Greg LeMond

Recovering
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizarah
    (Non Carpet Bagging Dark Horse Fan)
    Carpet bagging? Is it possible to "carpet-bag" this far north of the Mason-Dixon line?

My guess is that it'll be muddy in a few spots, but mostly fast, semi-tacky and amazing.

mtbr member
    I thought it was a well ran and fun race......the food at the end was a god send! Nelson and Kirt M had eaten their chicken, had 4 beers and driven home before I rode up the finishing hill...well done boys.

Shut up and ride
    The DH40 was the most fun I had at a race this year

"so pitted"
    My bro posted some pics along with other posts about the race if any of you are curious.

http://getoutsidemore.com/?p=149

and all the posts.

http://getoutsidemore.com/?s=Dark+Horse

The race seems like a great template for all races.