Thread: camping

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

camping

I want to go camping in the spring and would like to be able to bike or hike into a place that by a lake or river. I've never been camping before so I was wondering if anyone could tell me about some good spots.I also live near hackettstown. Any other info on camping would be alot of help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker7
    I want to go camping in the spring and would like to be able to bike or hike into a place that by a lake or river. I've never been camping before so I was wondering if anyone could tell me about some good spots.I also live near hackettstown. Any other info on camping would be alot of help.

If you want to play it safe for your first time out camping, you could just go up the road to Stephens State Park. :-) Also, Mahlon Dickerson has camping and riding.

Allaire State Park has camping. Further away, there is Blue Knob in Pennsylvania, French Creek in Pennsylvania and Lums Pond near Newark, DE (not that far from White Clay), which all have mountain biking.

Rip
    Broken
    Round Valley, Vorhees both have camping and hunterdon county wise, Teetertown does camping as well.
    À tout le monde. À tous mes amis. Je vous aime. Je dois partir.
    These are the last words I'll ever speak And they'll set me free

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What do you think of Round Valley. I've never been ther so I dont know what its like. How are round valley and stephens for camping and biking? What woul you reccomend i bring?

rigid bruce
    Nov 2004
    If you go by bike you can stealth camp anywhere. Head up Old Mine Road and camp along the Delaware River. This is one of the great advantages of bike touring, you can camp in any wooded area that's large enough to hide yourself in. Much nicer than a campground.
    bruce

mtbr member
    May 2004
    NJ State Park System has a great website that lists parks, features and activities. I like High Point for summer camping as they have a good lake for swimming and some fantastic legal mtn biking. Last year my family went to Stokes, right next door to HP and found even better biking but no swimming. We visited on week days in August and the place was empty - gas was $$$ but only an hour drive for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker7
    What do you think of Round Valley. I've never been ther so I dont know what its like. How are round valley and stephens for camping and biking? What woul you reccomend i bring?

Stephens has camping -- there are toilets, but no showers. The bike riding there is fun and you can ride from the campground. We did a lot of our rides for JORBAfest in Stephens park.

There are GPS maps of the park online. Here is one:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:/...Values=4468660

PM Stratocaster on this site (or MTBNJ) for more up to date maps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hammarhead
    NJ State Park System has a great website that lists parks, features and activities. I like High Point for summer camping as they have a good lake for swimming and some fantastic legal mtn biking. Last year my family went to Stokes, right next door to HP and found even better biking but no swimming. We visited on week days in August and the place was empty - gas was $$$ but only an hour drive for me.
    Stokes does have swimming....Stoney Lake, nice lake and not many people know about it.