k0na junkie

calling all wheelbuilders

i have a wheel that i would like to add a 20mm TA hub to. if anyone is good at lacing up wheels in the northern NJ area i would be interested. we could meet at ringwood and ride or whatever is convenient. im just trying to avoid the 35 dollar fee my shop is charging me. thanks alot
    [SIZE="3"]'06 kona dawg deluxe[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"]-'07 pike 426 coil
    -sun singletrack w/ hope pro II gold 20mm front
    -sun rhynolite rear
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dougj13
    i have a wheel that i would like to add a 20mm TA hub to. if anyone is good at lacing up wheels in the northern NJ area i would be interested. we could meet at ringwood and ride or whatever is convenient. im just trying to avoid the 35 dollar fee my shop is charging me. thanks alot
    Is that just for labor or are spokes/nipples included? If included, it's a very fair price. Spokes/nipples will cost you 20-ish. I'd build it for you, but I never ride Ringwood. I'm in central NJ (Somerville).

k0na junkie
    no thats just labor. they want to charge me 90 fo a 70 dollar hub, 20 for spokes and nipples (which i think is fair), and around $30 for labor.. i may try to find a pre built wheel that is stronger than an sos but im having trouble finding one...are u located anywhere near point plesant?
    -sun rhynolite rear
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Those prices are fair...

Doug,

The prices you mentioned seem more than fair. I would assume that if it is a TA hub, it would be a more stout wheel, so 32 or 36 spokes. He is giving you a good deal on spokes for $20. Most shops around here are $1 a spoke/nipple, unless you are getting a full wheels worth and/or buying them to have the shop build the whole wheel. Not sure what you were basing the "s/b" cost of the hub on, but $30 for labor a full wheel build from an experienced wheel builder is reasonable. Also, most shops would include a "touch up" true after you put some miles on the wheels.

I have seen some great wheel builds done, and some downright dangerous builds also. When you are talking a difference of $20/30 for a shop to do a professional build, and have someone to touch up and warranty the wheel afterwards, it should be a no-brainer. Find a good shop (there are plenty of good shops with quality wheel builders in northern NJ) and have them do it...IMHO.

C

k0na junkie
    thanks alot for the replies i will take ur advice and let the shop build the wheel
    -sun rhynolite rear
    [/SIZE]

Rip
    Broken
    no thats just labor. they want to charge me 90 fo a 70 dollar hub, 20 for spokes and nipples (which i think is fair), and around $30 for labor.. i may try to find a pre built wheel that is stronger than an sos but im having trouble finding one...are u located anywhere near point plesant?
    You should look into buying a Mavic Deetrak front wheel it's relatively cheap for a 20mm ready front wheel.
    À tout le monde. À tous mes amis. Je vous aime. Je dois partir.
    These are the last words I'll ever speak And they'll set me free

k0na junkie
    i cant seem to find just the front wheel of a deetrak anywhere...
    -sun rhynolite rear
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i cant seem to find just the front wheel of a deetrak anywhere...
    http://rbikes.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=11026&affiliate=2

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    edit for 2 more

http://bicyclesource.us/itemdetails.cfm?ID=16623

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=10758

If you're looking for some bikes stuff on the net I'd suggest trying froogle.com and http://www.bestwebbuys.com/bikes/index.html

k0na junkie
    thanks alot for the links i think i may buy a front deetrak wheel now and wait a little while and then buy a rear deemax wheel after i destroy my current stock wheel
    -sun rhynolite rear
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Another option....

Those links were very interesting....

The Deemax are very nice wheels, well worth the $$$...

Of course, all of the links listed the price at MSRP, which is either the same or very near what you would pay at your LBS. You would not be paying tax, but you would pay shipping. Also, if there is a problem with something and you bought it from your LBS, at least you have someone local to help you out. They may even install it for you cheap/free.

I suggest supporting your LBS where ever possible, and especially in a case like this where the price is basically the same....

Just my 2 cents....