Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Booby traps at Ceres Park, Mantua, NJ

Got this in an email from a team mate this morning.

"Be careful riding at Ceres Park in Mantua now. Someone is setting traps there. Electrical wires were found there yesterday tied between 2 trees at neck level. Dark colored and hard to see. They were found on the upper red trail.

Please forward this to anyone you think rides there. This wire was removed and disposed of, but could have taken someones head off."
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    rode there sunday didnt see anything, thanks for letting us know

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    This is another of the many things that sucks about Ceres! I've been riding there since 93' and have seen alot of good changes take place there...mostly from the bike community,but yet the twp has cut/torn/ripped up so much that has been built by the same ppl who are maintaining the park basically for them.However this is not the first I've heard or seen first hand booby traps being set in Ceres,but yet the twp never removes them....the ppl who ride there usually end up doing that!

NJ politics at its finest!!!

ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009
    you gotta b kidding me, i am new 2 the mtb scene, new 2 new jersey (5 yrs now) and i never heard of such crap. i moved from the apple 2 get away from the perps, and i gotta worry about them on the trails?? if i ever c anybody doing that while i am in the woods, they r gonna leave feet first, and i give a rats --- who reads this......come and get me

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The guy I work worth was the dude that originally sent out the email regarding the trap. was wires that were tired to a tree at around neck level if you were riding seated. He has since been back to Cere's many times and has been praising all the work that has been going on back there. So far its looking to be a one time thing...at least we hope

mtbr member
    I rode Ceres today for 2 hours, what an amazing park!!! Quite muddy in some spots, but overall it was a BLAST. The teeter is gone, only a few small bridges remain. I'll be back there again tomorrow around 3:30pm for a few hours if anyone wants to meet up.

ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009

mattyjay88

listen, we all have the right to use our parks, whether u r a mtb guy, a runner, in 2 horses, or just a family out 4 the day. its not a matter of playing king of the hill. we just need 2 b a little more tolerant and respect each other. look, i know there are hammerheads out there, but setting up a booby trap b cuzz u dislike bikes is dowmright cowardly. i do feel confident this is an exceptiuon, and not the rule. i look 4 wood 2 riding our parks, there r a llotta nice people out there who r there 4 the same reason as i, 2 enjoy our outdoors, while we still have it. if it was up to corzine, he would sell all the land and spend the money on bull----

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    spelling hard

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel1916
    spelling hard

I was thinking the same thing.

mtbr member
    this is one of the most ridiculous things i've ever read. who would willingly do such a thing? are they actively trying to kill someone and commit murder? i can't believe f'n people man

ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009
    i hear ya!!..i may not like all the people i meet in the woods, like some people just refuse to leash the dog, for example, but i wouldnt like poison the dog, or shoot the owner. like i said, we all have the same rights to enjoy the outdoors, whether u r a jogger, hiker, horse person, or an mtber. the problem is the woods r shrinking, and we r stepping all over each other, and not all people r tolerant, and it may breed contemptness, i guess. just enjoy ya self, but keep a heads up, and b careful.

mtbr member
    Were is this place I'm in Bloomfield never heard of it?

mtbr member
    ceres park is in gloucster county, a suberb of philly

my inlaws live 2 blocks from this place, and when I visit, i like to check it out

i was thinking about moving to the area to get away from all the crap here in north jersey, now I'll definately have to think twice before I relocate

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jkmacman
    ceres park is in gloucster county, a suberb of philly

my inlaws live 2 blocks from this place, and when I visit, i like to check it out

i was thinking about moving to the area to get away from all the crap here in north jersey, now I'll definately have to think twice before I relocate
    Mantua, the town where Cere's is located, is a really nice town. So far this has only been a one time incident and I don't think it should inhibit your decision on moving. There are other places to ride in SJ.

mtbr member

jerry garcia was here

here's a pic of ceres a few months ago

i saw jerry garcia (or maybe his twin)on a mtb about 5 years ago, this dude however didn't look like he was puffin on 3 or 4 packs of camel filterless a day. this dude was doing jumps like from a you-tube bmx video

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jkmacman

here's a pic of ceres a few months ago

i saw jerry garcia (or maybe his twin)on a mtb about 5 years ago, this dude however didn't look like he was puffin on 3 or 4 packs of camel filterless a day. this dude was doing jumps like from a you-tube bmx video

cool picture. i think that particular bit where the wood is has been broken up since then. lots of broken boards and mud.

do you ride cere's a lot?

mtbr member

ceres mtb

here's a motion based of a route i did there

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6944762

i don't go there too much, my in laws live in mantua

actually march 28-29, i may be in area, as the odd man duathlon is in 'south jersey' i mentioned it to my spouse, and she is interested in visiting mom, sis, and grandma (who just turned 100)

i think this pic is looking down just after i crossed the creek, oddly enough, i got a flat just after taking the pic, there was a thorn lodged in the tire and remained there for an encoure flat 1 week later at the other end of the state in ringwood nj

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    the thorns there are like no other thorns anywhere else. before i worked my shop i had gotten a flat and the mechanic working on my bike could tell where i had ridden just by looking at the thorn. he guessed correctly that i was at cere's.

another cool pic by the way. it looks totally different when everything is green. the motion based readout was pretty cool as well. never used anything like that before.

mtbr member

more trails near ceres

the motion based readout was pretty cool as well. never used anything like that before.
    here's two more trails not too far from ceres

fair hill, md
    philly mtb ride
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7221636

wissahickon
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7475686

here's a link to some wissahickon winter pix

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    is fair hills the same as white clay?

and what trail where you following at wissahickon?

mtbr member

fair hills

i am not certain, but i believe fair hill and white clay, are two different places

at wissahickon, i was trail running, since i could not secure a riding partner in advance at philly mtb, however i met dr saw and his dog there

i recommend both the fair hill and wissahickon, also look forward to checking out glouycester county communty college soon

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Fair Hill is in Maryland and White Clay is in Delaware. Right next to White Clay is Middle Run which is also a great place to ride.

mtbr member
    I'm going to rock middle run tomorrow, rode Ceres for 2 hours today and camden county for an hour. What a great day to ride!!

ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009
    im just gonna stay local, to cheesequake park. put on a sick pair of bear trap pedals im dying to try with my new leg armor....ouch if i dont

mtbr member

ceres closure

did they ever resolve the situation at ceres?

i'll be in the area for the holiday week end and i am still freaked out about what happened

one of the reasons i turned to mtb from ro@d riding is to get away from the psycopaths that yield there two ton machines on tarmac

maybe this time i'll check out gloucester county college and or wissahickon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast