mtbr member

Best route though Mahlon-Dickerson?

I'm planning a trip back to the homeland (Branchville) this fall, and would like to maximize my riding opportunities. I grew up in Sussex County and spent some time riding at Stokes (do they ever do trail work out there?!) and Mahlon-Dickerson, plus all of the old rail beds.

I'd always park at Saffin, ride the Ogden rail bed toward Edison Mine, then take a right onto some trail that I can't find the name of, then left on Pine Swamp out toward Sparta Mountain road, up throught the campsites, across Wheldon Rd to Headley overlook...

What exactly is a rock-rill, anyway?

And back up the rail bed to the parking lot. As you can see, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Any tips for the most technical XC ride possible out there would be appreciated. Cool overlooks and examples of human ebgineering are almost always worth the trip for me, too. Is there any reason to head down to the old ski area?

Other great area can't misses?

Appreciated,

Steve

mtbr member
    anrothar (sean), shaggz (steve) or spartabrad over at www.mtbnj.com are really good folks to consult about this park.