mtbr member

Been to Hartshorne, Allaire next

We're from NH and visited Hartshorne when we were down in Bayville a few weeks ago.

Now we're heading back down this time to Toms River, 527 area. Looks like Allaire is pretty close by so we're going to take the bikes with us to try it out.

Got a great map posted at mtbnj and noticed orange, blue, white, black and gray trails.

Do the trail colors indicate trail dificulty?

Also, is Allaire easier or tougher than Hartshorne (Rocky Point specifically)?

Am looking at and planning loops but seems that we may just have to try all that we can. Thinking of doing Orange ccw then into Blue then end in White.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by fda47; 08-09-2010 at 10:57 AM.

2009 Giant Trance X3
    2010 Giant Trance X2

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hartshorne is more technical and the climbs/descents are bigger. Allaire is more the faster you go the better it is. Its fast and twisty.

Basically you need to do double the miles in allaire to get the same workout from a fitness point of view. I have been riding them both for 15 + years. The maps are useless , just plan on getting lost and give yourself some time. There are a couple of good trails that are not marked unfortunately.

If your in shape and are going to be around I would be willing to show you either park. Weekends are best. But I can do some weekday rides in the evening but allaire gets crowded. My schedule is very unpredictable though.

If your up for it, I can take you on my Joezilla ride which is huber woods to hartshorne and back to huber. Its an ass kicker and we ride everything 20-25 miles. It will make your NJ MTB experience full. Allaire plan on 20 miles for it to be worth it.

PM me if interested.

If any other locals want to come feel free.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you are looking for more challenge than Orange, Blue, or White provide, ride Tiger Woods and the Hog Bog.

http://www.mtbnj.com/wiki/File:ALLAI..._TRAIL_MAP.pdf

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've had some great rides n Allaire. It's best visited with a guide, as one can easily get stuck going around in circles... deep sandy circles. If you go to the Allaire forum on the site you mentioned they run group rides out of there. If those rides are too basic for you there is are always faster guys coming and going from the lot on Hospital Road (where you will want to park).

mtbr member
    i was in allaire sunday
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43690364

i have a 20 mile loop somewhere on motionbased, but basicly you end up on doubling up on many loops

here's the 20 miler on topo 8
    Look to where the river ends, or where the river starts...

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the tips.

JMCCRNA: Thanks for the offer. I would love to have a guide but our schedule is very uncertain and relatively tight. Probably won't be in Toms River late Saturday night and will be heading back to NH on Monday morning (with our new puppy ) So Sunday is the only day and am not even sure about timing. But as you said, yeah, we're planning on getting lost as that's probably part of the adventure. Good to know though it's not any harder than Hartshorne so we can cover more ground for the same workout.

ricxcs/al415: We're not looking for big challenges really. Since it's our first time out, we'd like to just go out in a good pace and not kill ourselves but if time permits, will definitely check out Tiger Woods and Hog Bog.

jkmacman: Looks like a nice route. Will hope to cover at least 15-20miles this time out and will keep that route in mind.

The Serpentine looks interesting as well, assuming we can find it but between the trails that have been mentioned, I think we got our goal covered.

2009 Giant Trance X3
    2010 Giant Trance X2

mtbr member
    Thanks again all. Son and I visited Allaire yesterday and had a great, fun ride. There was a threat of rain but it never came down so we were treated to an overcast day.

As a lot eluded to, we got lost a little on our first loop (Orange) but after that loop, we got it figured out. Don't know if we actually got into Tiger Woods. We took a small detour off of Orange and got into more challenging trails.

We did the White trail, and that was lots of fun. Next Blue. The we took the River Trail. Had so much fun and some energy left so we did White all over again and River Trail backwards.

It was easier than what we ride here in NH and Hartshorne but we definitely are coming back. Great cardio-oriented ride if pushed.

Ya, sands abound but didn't bother us much. Just gotta know how to ride it, I guess.

Edit: Oh we also found a playground near the sandpit and boy was that fun, a good break from the single-track riding.
    Last edited by fda47; 08-16-2010 at 06:15 PM.

2009 Giant Trance X3
    2010 Giant Trance X2

ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009
    both are fun parks to ride on, with the horne much more challenging, physically. my favorite trail is the grand tour at hartshorne. its a lung buster in some spots. rocky point trail has a few nice overlook spots that look down to sea girt and rumson. when u r one at hartshorne, and are on 36 north, soon as u leave the park, on side of 36 is a place called mobys, get ya chow on there, beer and fish, sit and look over the water at sandy hook, nice way to cool out after getting ya butt handed to u, lolol

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip razin cane. Next time we're out at Hartshorne, I'll make sure to check out Mobys. Ya, we literally had our butts handed to us at Rocky Point, especially those 2 nasty climbs

2009 Giant Trance X3
    2010 Giant Trance X2

ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009
    ya, but be advised, mobys is only open till labor day, or sometime shortly after, but next door, bahrs, they are open all year. same people own both places, and my cousin butch is the head chef at bahrs. enjoy!!