Icebiker

"Bear" this in mind at Tourne

Went for a short ride early this AM at Tourne before work. Spotted a bear cub off the trail near the steep descent (SW corner of the park), then about 45 mins later spotted a cub of the same size at the Top of the Tourne, climbing over the rock near the memorial. Very cool sight...haven't seen them in Tourne before, only in the more remote/larger parks. Might have been the same bear, but where there's cubs, there's usually a momma somewhere. Keep an eye out

Come on winter!
    I have surprisingly seen bears a couple of times at the Tourne over the years. Both times it was a Momma and multiple cubs.

Hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread but...

What is your opinion on the new trail work that was done in the sw corner of the park? I am asking because I used to love that rocky climb and the work seemed to be done in an area that was pretty stable. In my opinion there are other areas in the park that are in worse shape and could probably benefit more from the type of work that was done.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

mtbr member
    The work done on the lower end of the red trail was due to fall line erosion problems and you are right there are other parts of the park that need major work. Hopefully in the upcoming months we will be able to fix these spots. Keep an eye out on jorba.org for trail maintenance dates.

Pete

If it looks like it works and it feels like it works...Then it works

Come on winter!
    Quote Originally Posted by pm55
    The work done on the lower end of the red trail was due to fall line erosion problems and you are right there are other parts of the park that need major work. Hopefully in the upcoming months we will be able to fix these spots. Keep an eye out on jorba.org for trail maintenance dates.
    In my opinion the area you are referring to was fine - yes it was rocky but had no loose rocks or obvious erosion problems and has been that way for many many years. This would be the north end of the trail section we are talking about.

The south end was/is a bit of a mess and needs re-routing way more than the other side of the trail did.

I am just trying to understand why this area of the trail was so aggressively re-routed while other areas of the park, which are full of fall line erosion problems (i.e. loose rocks, ruts) have been left untouched.

mtbr member
    We turned a straight up/down hill section that was prone to eroding into a sustainable series of switchbacks. Far from an aggressive reroute as the park commission wouldn't allow such work. The word was if the trail wasn't fixed it would be shut down. When faced with this option the only choice was to make a more sustainable trail system, which if allowed we will continue to do across the park.

Pete

If it looks like it works and it feels like it works...Then it works

Come on winter!
    Quote Originally Posted by pm55
    We turned a straight up/down hill section that was prone to eroding into a sustainable series of switchbacks. Far from an aggressive reroute as the park commission wouldn't allow such work. The word was if the trail wasn't fixed it would be shut down. When faced with this option the only choice was to make a more sustainable trail system, which if allowed we will continue to do across the park.
    That's a reasonable explanation. I'd rather ride a boring switchback than nothing at all. I'm not trying to be confrontational I just wanted an answer as to why the work was done the way it was.
    As some of those involved know, I really wanted to be a part of the work at the Tourne but bad timing and a lack of response from those involved have kept me away from helping.

actually bear population is on the rise in the northeast. There have been 3 different bear sightings near residential areas within 20 miles of where I live
    get to the choppa!!!

Icebiker

An additional perspective

That particular area may not have looked too bad, but there was no single line down it. Several lines were begining to form around the rocky spots, causing "spidering" of trails and overall widening. Not sure why people avoid rocks when most people are riding bikes with suspension, and most who are not (e.g. SS, 29'ers, etc) are more experienced riders that don't shy away from a challenge, but there you have it. I agree that there are more areas of the park that need work, but Rome wasn't built in a day. What you see in that switchback is just the beginning. In fact, kudos to Ryan and crew for taking the initiative to get involved and make a difference. We could always use more volunteers, whether it be for Tourne, Lew Mo or Mahlon. PM me if you'd like to get on the email list, or just cruise on over to jorba.org or morristrails.org to get the lowdown on trail dates.

On another note, there are several rogue trails appearing at Tourne, all of which are completely unsustainable. They come off the top of the Tourne and head straight down. There are also a fair amount of spider trails on the west side. These are all a big no-no. If anyone know of folks putting these in, please encourage them to cease and desist. This could have a serious impact on riding at this small park.

Thanks.